Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Brent

Default Musing about combining art/craft.

I can see the conundrum, as most people would concentrate on the metal
or "other" object rather than the wood 'base'.

My father turned a few keliedoscopes from kits for all the
grandchildren last Christmas. The children weren't concerned with the
wood, but rather the cool color-shifting patterns that could be seen
when looking through the peephole, which seems natural considering
their age. I was more interested in the wood he used, which he did a
superb job at. Although, the whole thing was/is quite nice, and me and
my daughter still use it on occassion.

I suppose some of it is based on the age/maturity of the person using
the object. Also, some would seem like it's based on what
functionality the piece has. Like a pizza cutter, for example, is a
'practical' tool, and people will soon forget the nice wood handle on
it, no matter what kind of wood was used or how well crafted it was.

I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but I figure that's just
natural human reaction. It would be disappointing to see this kind of
thing happening, especially if you spent more time/money/resources on
the wood part. I haven't seen/felt much of it, because most of my
turnings are based solely out of wood. Other parts used would include
salt/pepper shakers, cork bottle tops, hinges for boxes, etc... where
there is very little amount of 'other' parts being used.