Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Thomas Clark

Default Looking for a 3 or 4 jaw chuck for Jet Mini!

I've been looking through magazines and searching on the web for an
inexpensive jaw chuck for the Jet Mini lathe I just got. Does anyone know
where I can get one for less than $150? I read an article from Wood
magazine November 2004 about a four jaw chuck that Pennstateind had for $50.
But they don't carry it anymore. Where can I get a similar one?

Thanks

Thomas Clark
Harmony Hearts
http://home.earthlink.net/~harmonyhearts/cherry-tree/

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
geo

Thomas Clark wrote:
I've been looking through magazines and searching on the web for an
inexpensive jaw chuck for the Jet Mini lathe I just got. Does anyone know
where I can get one for less than $150? I read an article from Wood
magazine November 2004 about a four jaw chuck that Pennstateind had for $50.
But they don't carry it anymore. Where can I get a similar one?

Thanks

Thomas Clark
Harmony Hearts
http://home.earthlink.net/~harmonyhearts/cherry-tree/

I just read the latest Penn Ind. cat. They have a mini listed (LCM34)
for 49.95. I would go with the large Barracuda 2 for 150. It has many
sets of jaws and a neat wooden box to keep the pieces in, Geo.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Thomas

Thomas I have to admit, I have one, not one of my brighter moves, I
should have known better and I did, but I figured I would be able to
improve it by chucking it up in my metal turning lathe, straitening it
up a bit and have a halve decent chuck, WRONG.
If you want if come and get it, free.
I won't mail it or ship it, it's not worth the wrapping paper or
shipping cost.
And that's my opinion of it, POS.
Buy a good quality chuck it will last you a lifetime, hurts only once,
not every time you want to use it.
I have a couple of Oneway chucks and love them.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum27.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Czarczastic

Thomas:
It's not $50 any more, its $90, but this is the chuck they were talking
about:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/cmg3c.html

I had one for about 2 years. Gave it to a friend after I got my Supernova2.
Never knew what I was missing until I got a good chuck.
The CMG3C works, but that's about it. I agree with the other comments that
you would be better off getting a good chuck to begin with. For the $60
more, the Barracuda2 is a much better choice (if you can wait until they
actually have any in stock).

Best of luck.

-Steven

"Thomas Clark" wrote in message
ink.net...
I've been looking through magazines and searching on the web for an
inexpensive jaw chuck for the Jet Mini lathe I just got. Does anyone know
where I can get one for less than $150? I read an article from Wood
magazine November 2004 about a four jaw chuck that Pennstateind had for

$50.
But they don't carry it anymore. Where can I get a similar one?

Thanks

Thomas Clark
Harmony Hearts
http://home.earthlink.net/~harmonyhearts/cherry-tree/

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg

In article . net,
"Thomas Clark" wrote:

I've been looking through magazines and searching on the web for an
inexpensive jaw chuck for the Jet Mini lathe I just got. Does anyone know
where I can get one for less than $150? I read an article from Wood
magazine November 2004 about a four jaw chuck that Pennstateind had for $50.
But they don't carry it anymore. Where can I get a similar one?

Look at the $99 chucks here... don't get the $50 chuck (I did, it was
a mistake)
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2006/Main/111

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

Check out Nova's new midi-size chuck. Forget those $50 chucks and the 3-jaw
metal working chucks. They may be cheaper, but you get what you pay
for........sometimes you don't even get that. A chuck is no place to go
cheap. Buy quality.

Barry

"Thomas Clark" wrote in message
ink.net...
I've been looking through magazines and searching on the web for an
inexpensive jaw chuck for the Jet Mini lathe I just got. Does anyone know
where I can get one for less than $150? I read an article from Wood
magazine November 2004 about a four jaw chuck that Pennstateind had for
$50. But they don't carry it anymore. Where can I get a similar one?

Thanks

Thomas Clark
Harmony Hearts
http://home.earthlink.net/~harmonyhearts/cherry-tree/

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill

Barry N. Turner wrote:
Check out Nova's new midi-size chuck. Forget those $50 chucks and the 3-jaw
metal working chucks. They may be cheaper, but you get what you pay
for........sometimes you don't even get that. A chuck is no place to go
cheap. Buy quality.

Barry

"Thomas Clark" wrote in message
ink.net...
I've been looking through magazines and searching on the web for an
inexpensive jaw chuck for the Jet Mini lathe I just got. Does anyone know
where I can get one for less than $150? I read an article from Wood
magazine November 2004 about a four jaw chuck that Pennstateind had for
$50. But they don't carry it anymore. Where can I get a similar one?

Thanks

Thomas Clark
Harmony Hearts
http://home.earthlink.net/~harmonyhearts/cherry-tree/

Barry's right. I've been using the midi for a year on my little Jet,
and it's a solid worker. The 50mm jaws are a bit small and the
operating range is a bit narrow (read: I cut my recesses/spigots less
than accurately sometimes), but I'm hoping the 75mm jaws will help. The
midi also uses most of the Nova jaw family.

I tried cheap (Grizzly), but I'll buy Nova again.

Bill
Gresham OR
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Larry Blanchard

Bill wrote:

Barry's right.**I've*been*using*the*midi*for*a*year*on*my* little*Jet,
and it's a solid worker.**The*50mm*jaws*are*a*bit*small*and*the
operating range is a bit narrow (read:**I*cut*my*recesses/spigots*less
than accurately sometimes), but I'm hoping the 75mm jaws will help.*
The midi also uses most of the Nova jaw family.

Let me add my agreement, I'm still pretty much a beginning turner, but
I just bought the Nova Midi for my Nova Comet and I like it. Sure
beats faceplates and glue :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Thomas,
There are lots of ways around using a chuck and some of them are faster and
safer. After awhile, one reaches for the chuck out of habit and not
necessarily out of good turning practice. I still use a faceplate and a glue
block for a lot of work because they work so well. If you are getting a
chuck it is best to save the dollars and get a good one. I have the One Way
and it is worth every penny paid.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate