Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Third Bite of Beech

Just watched "Love at First Bite" last night again, so those familiar will
recognize the significance.

As you can see, the final item goes from spalt to sound, which means the
next piece, even if it did not have loose bark and radial checks, would have
been rather plain Jane. With only one end spalted, I elected to glue the
bark on the spalted end and leave it on. Previous piece had over half the
bark loose, which is why I took a knife and cleared the remainder.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ch-Upright.jpg

The bark had been breached on what I made the bottom of the piece, and I
couldn't turn all of the radial checks away and leave wood below the heart,
so I filled it with CA and dust. Not particularly appealing, so this piece
may yet fulfill its destiny as firewood.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...dial-Check.jpg

Also noticeable in the photo is a circular tear in the dovetail area that I
will have to sand off if I decide to keep the whole. Perils of cutting
wet and letting dry.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

This is just a thought.... nothing else.

I have found for my taste that if I know I will not match a finish or
texture, I don't try. For the most part, I don't like the CA glue and
sawdust, although on some things it looks OK. To me, a CA/sawdust fill
always looks like a repair job.

For me, what I do with a crack like that is fill it with something that
is contrasting or decorative. With that crack, I am sure that some
epoxy with something to tint it would look great. While it is hard to
tell the correct color balance on the net, a lot of different colors
would look really nice in that one and compliment the piece.

Olive green would really warm that crack up. And a light brown would
make it look almost natural.

You can easily grind that crack out and refill it. It is waaaay too
nice to burn. I KNOW someone in your circle of people would be
thrilled to have that. But if you do decide to burn it, tell me here
and I will send you the postage and you can send it to me!

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Hey George, Stop using excessive force on dovetails with your Nova jaws.

I'm kidding! I'm kidding! Forget Robert's offer. We don't have a
fireplace or a mantle piece, but I'll buy a cord of that firewood and
display it on a shelf proudly.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Arch" wrote in message
Hey George, Stop using excessive force on dovetails with your Nova jaws.

Anything but! If you look carefully at the recess, you can see that it spun
and polished a couple times after being reversed. I had to resnug. It's
sort of prone to that until you're cutting a continuous path. Of course,
the checks were already filled, and a bit of water-thin CA reinforcing the
still damp sapwood had been applied to keep things from coming apart.

Robert, as you look, the recess is slightly over an inch. making the entire
piece no more than four-four and a half. I've done contrasting fills, but
only when they were obvious. These were small and fairly well out of the
way. What you say is what Susan keeps saying. Though I have great taste,
evidence of which is marrying her, I don't have the only version of it.
Almost any piece will appeal to someone. I could throw the business cards
in it when I go to market, as I generally do with a little "who cares"
project. Strangely, someone always appears to be ready to give me twenty
bucks for it.