rob w

Default Beech block floor restoration

(Paul F) wrote in message . com...
Hello,

The previous owner of my house fitted a beech block floor in the front
room - blocks are 3" x 12", affixed with pitch to (I think) chip-board
(or maybe plywood). The beech blocks have become very dirty over the
years and there is some staining in places, and blobs of pitch have
squeezed up through the gaps in others. The gaps between the blocks
(typically around 1mm) have filled with dust and gunge. Floor area is
2.5m x 7m.

I am keen to resore the floor to get back the beech tone (assuming it
is still there), and apply a sealant/protective coating that would
also serve to fill the gaps and prevent long-term gunge build-up.

I have seen that others have approached this by removing all the
blocks, then using a thicknessing tool to remove the back face and
pitch mess.

So, a few questions:

1) I assume in-situ sanding won't work, due to differing heights of
the blocks and steps from one to the next (although I am not looking
for a mirror-flat result) - I ask this as all but a few blocks are
-very- well attached, and I am worried about "collateral damage" due
to getting them up?

2) What would people recommend for restoring the front face of the
(removed) blocks - e.g. thicknesser to take off ~1mm + a sander of
some sort?

3) What can anyone recommend to apply as a sealant, and would this
also do for filling the gaps?

Thanks in advance/Paul

The normal way to restore wooden floors is to sand in situ using a floor sander.
Hire one of the big sanders and a edge sander and seal with floor varnish.Rob