Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Third Bite of Beech

Just watched "Love at First Bite" last night again, so those familiar will
recognize the significance.

As you can see, the final item goes from spalt to sound, which means the
next piece, even if it did not have loose bark and radial checks, would have
been rather plain Jane. With only one end spalted, I elected to glue the
bark on the spalted end and leave it on. Previous piece had over half the
bark loose, which is why I took a knife and cleared the remainder.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ch-Upright.jpg

The bark had been breached on what I made the bottom of the piece, and I
couldn't turn all of the radial checks away and leave wood below the heart,
so I filled it with CA and dust. Not particularly appealing, so this piece
may yet fulfill its destiny as firewood.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...dial-Check.jpg

Also noticeable in the photo is a circular tear in the dovetail area that I
will have to sand off if I decide to keep the whole. Perils of cutting
wet and letting dry.