Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Margret Huntress

Default Lamp auger?

Hi,

I'd like to try making some simple lamps, probably using the hardware one
can find at Home Depot or Lowes. What size auger should I get? The
hardware package says it is 3/8, but it looks too small for that. Any
suggestions?

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Norvin

Margret Huntress wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to try making some simple lamps, probably using the hardware one
can find at Home Depot or Lowes. What size auger should I get? The
hardware package says it is 3/8, but it looks too small for that. Any
suggestions?

Tom

follow directions until proven wrong.........
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Stonegrift

I mae a lamp by gluing stock together and leaving a square open the
entire length.

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 01:48:42 GMT, "Margret Huntress"
wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to try making some simple lamps, probably using the hardware one
can find at Home Depot or Lowes. What size auger should I get? The
hardware package says it is 3/8, but it looks too small for that. Any
suggestions?

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Stonegrift

Well, on the lamp I built I used a hollow threaded rod. It allowed me
to attach the lamp assembly firmly to the rod then I screwed the rod
into the opening of wood lamp body. If it ever comes loose I can
always glue the rod into the lamp. the cord tube doesn't go all the
way through the lamp part of it is plain wood. Since I didn't make
the lamp hollow like a bowl or narrow necjk vase the entire tube is
not needed to guide the cord through the lamp. All I bought for the
lamp was the actual lamp ficture, the hollow threaded rod, and a
doaner extention cord. I cut off the multi plug end and attached it
to the lamp assembly after threading it through my turned body and the
section of hollow rod I used. I connected everything up and carefully
plugged in the lamp. It worked.

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 03:02:44 GMT, "Margret Huntress"
wrote:

How will you secure the metal cord tube?

"Stonegrift" wrote in message
.. .
I mae a lamp by gluing stock together and leaving a square open the
entire length.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Norvin" wrote in message
Margret Huntress wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to try making some simple lamps, probably using the hardware one
can find at Home Depot or Lowes. What size auger should I get? The
hardware package says it is 3/8, but it looks too small for that. Any
suggestions?

follow directions until proven wrong.........

Might want to bore a 3/8 hole and discover that's what the fittings are
threaded for. Means if you're going to take a tube threaded both ends as
your basic design, you'll want the hole 7/16 or so to allow the threads free
passage.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
James R. Shields

I do it much differently. I get a light fixture bracket (like you hang a
fixture from a ceiling box...threaded in the middle with two long slits for
screws). I cut off each end leaving only enough to accomodate two screws. On
the lathe I cut a circle wide enough to accept the cut off bracket, and deep
enough for the bracket and screws (maybe 3/8"). I make a washer from
tempered masonite with a 2 1/2" hole saw. I spray this with gold paint to
match the brass fittings. I get a lamp kit from Home Depot (about $8). Now
using a few inches of threaded rod the whole assembly fits together nicely
and securely. Of course the washer fits over the bracket hole. You only need
a hole in the lamp big enough to accomodate the wire.
"Margret Huntress" wrote in message
Hi,

I'd like to try making some simple lamps, probably using the hardware one
can find at Home Depot or Lowes. What size auger should I get? The
hardware package says it is 3/8, but it looks too small for that. Any
suggestions?

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

"Margret Huntress" wrote: (clip) The hardware package says it is 3/8, but
it looks too small for that. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is this, possibly, confusion between the nominal pipe size and the actual
OD?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike Paulson

I got my start in woodturning providing lamp bases for a custom lampshade
artist. The auger is used to drill the hole from top to bottom for the
cord. The hollow threaded tube only has to go a couple inches into the
wood and I used a 23/64" drill to widen the auger hole for that. That
size allows the threads to get a little bite, use jam nuts so you can grab
it with a wrench to thread it into the hole. I usually put a tiny bit of
epoxy in the hole before threading in the pipe for extra security. Lamps
are fun, every turner should have a few wooden lamps in their home.

-mike paulson, fort collins, co

I'd like to try making some simple lamps, probably using the hardware one
can find at Home Depot or Lowes. What size auger should I get? The
hardware package says it is 3/8, but it looks too small for that. Any
suggestions?

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Margret Huntress

What I am hearing is that I don't need to have the whole threaded rod go the
legnth of the lamp, just the top. Is there any fire danger if I don't use
the metal rod through out? Please excuse my ignorance. I've just been
curious. If not, I'll just devise a coupler of some sort and run the wire
down the bored-out hole. Thanks for your help. Let me know if there is any
danger in doing this.

Tom

"Mike Paulson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph

Margret Huntress wrote:
What I am hearing is that I don't need to have the whole threaded rod go the
legnth of the lamp, just the top. Is there any fire danger if I don't use
the metal rod through out? Please excuse my ignorance. I've just been
curious. If not, I'll just devise a coupler of some sort and run the wire
down the bored-out hole. Thanks for your help. Let me know if there is any
danger in doing this.

Tom

There shouldn't be any fire hazzard by just using a short piece of

threaded rod to attach the socket to the lamp. I don't understand this
coupler you are planning on using. Is it to join two pieces of
electrical wire in the body of the lamp? Probably not a good idea. You
should use a solid piece of electrical cord from the light socket to the
wall plug.

If you mean a coupler to attach the rod to the socket, the socket should
come with a threaded coupler as part of its base.

You should also tie a lampmakers knot(Proper term?) in the cord in the
base of the lamp just befor it goes through the wall of the lamp. This
prevents the cord from being pulled out of the socket if anybody yanks
on the cord for some reason.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike Paulson

Yeah, what he said. No fire danger. Definitely do the Underwriters knot.
I always hollowed the base a little bit so I had room to add a second knot
inside the horizontal hole where the cord exited through the base.

-mike

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph

Mike Paulson wrote:
Yeah, what he said. No fire danger. Definitely do the Underwriters knot.
I always hollowed the base a little bit so I had room to add a second knot
inside the horizontal hole where the cord exited through the base.

-mike

Thanks Mike for the correct name of the knot.