Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike Paulson

Default Lamp auger?

I got my start in woodturning providing lamp bases for a custom lampshade
artist. The auger is used to drill the hole from top to bottom for the
cord. The hollow threaded tube only has to go a couple inches into the
wood and I used a 23/64" drill to widen the auger hole for that. That
size allows the threads to get a little bite, use jam nuts so you can grab
it with a wrench to thread it into the hole. I usually put a tiny bit of
epoxy in the hole before threading in the pipe for extra security. Lamps
are fun, every turner should have a few wooden lamps in their home.

-mike paulson, fort collins, co

I'd like to try making some simple lamps, probably using the hardware one
can find at Home Depot or Lowes. What size auger should I get? The
hardware package says it is 3/8, but it looks too small for that. Any
suggestions?

Tom