Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
James R. Shields

Default Lamp auger?

I do it much differently. I get a light fixture bracket (like you hang a
fixture from a ceiling box...threaded in the middle with two long slits for
screws). I cut off each end leaving only enough to accomodate two screws. On
the lathe I cut a circle wide enough to accept the cut off bracket, and deep
enough for the bracket and screws (maybe 3/8"). I make a washer from
tempered masonite with a 2 1/2" hole saw. I spray this with gold paint to
match the brass fittings. I get a lamp kit from Home Depot (about $8). Now
using a few inches of threaded rod the whole assembly fits together nicely
and securely. Of course the washer fits over the bracket hole. You only need
a hole in the lamp big enough to accomodate the wire.
"Margret Huntress" wrote in message
Hi,

I'd like to try making some simple lamps, probably using the hardware one
can find at Home Depot or Lowes. What size auger should I get? The
hardware package says it is 3/8, but it looks too small for that. Any
suggestions?

Tom