Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph

Default Lamp auger?

Margret Huntress wrote:
What I am hearing is that I don't need to have the whole threaded rod go the
legnth of the lamp, just the top. Is there any fire danger if I don't use
the metal rod through out? Please excuse my ignorance. I've just been
curious. If not, I'll just devise a coupler of some sort and run the wire
down the bored-out hole. Thanks for your help. Let me know if there is any
danger in doing this.

Tom

There shouldn't be any fire hazzard by just using a short piece of

threaded rod to attach the socket to the lamp. I don't understand this
coupler you are planning on using. Is it to join two pieces of
electrical wire in the body of the lamp? Probably not a good idea. You
should use a solid piece of electrical cord from the light socket to the
wall plug.

If you mean a coupler to attach the rod to the socket, the socket should
come with a threaded coupler as part of its base.

You should also tie a lampmakers knot(Proper term?) in the cord in the
base of the lamp just befor it goes through the wall of the lamp. This
prevents the cord from being pulled out of the socket if anybody yanks
on the cord for some reason.