Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy

Default R.I.P.

Tonight, with the screech of fried bearings, and a puff of smoke, my
$29.95 close quater drill died. The shaft coming out of the body had
gotten loose. I was sanding in both clock and counter clock wise. I
don't know how many bowls I got sanded with it, but a couple hundred
anyway, and 80 plus hours of time on it.
Did I get my money worth out of it? Yes!
Is it as good as the Milwaukee and Sioux? No!
Would I buy it again if it was half the price of the S/M drills?
Possibly.
Will I buy it again? Yes. I can't burn up just one and consider the
test conclusive.
At about 1/5th the price of the S/M drills, I think that it is a good
buy and a bargain, especially if you are more recreational with your
turning. Even with production work, I still think it is a good buy.
robo hippy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein

Sorry to hear of the death of your drill. I just got lucky and picked
up a manufacturer's reconditioned Milwaukee for $53.00 delivered. It
was from a web site (www.ubid.com) which had a lot of about 30 of them.
My old one still sands fine except that it is the older style with the
reversing switch on the back (instead of the top for the newer ones).
The switch has been testy for a while and now will not switch directions
at all. I'll take it apart and see what is going on but now there is no
hurry.

Bill

robo hippy wrote:
Tonight, with the screech of fried bearings, and a puff of smoke, my
$29.95 close quater drill died. The shaft coming out of the body had
gotten loose. I was sanding in both clock and counter clock wise. I
don't know how many bowls I got sanded with it, but a couple hundred
anyway, and 80 plus hours of time on it.
Did I get my money worth out of it? Yes!
Is it as good as the Milwaukee and Sioux? No!
Would I buy it again if it was half the price of the S/M drills?
Possibly.
Will I buy it again? Yes. I can't burn up just one and consider the
test conclusive.
At about 1/5th the price of the S/M drills, I think that it is a good
buy and a bargain, especially if you are more recreational with your
turning. Even with production work, I still think it is a good buy.
robo hippy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

Default Conventional Cordless VSR Drill

I'm using a conventional 9.6 volt Panasonic cordless drill for power sanding
with no complaints. Actually, it works pretty well. On the high range top
speed is 1500 rpm, which is plenty fast for sanding. I had the battery
rebuilt at a Batteries Plus for half the cost of a new one. Does anyone
else use a conventional drill for sanding?

Barry

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
The expensive drills also fail, mostly due to accumulation of sawdust
inside. Friends of mine have paid more for repairing them than the total
cost of your "economy-priced" drill.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On 2 Dec 2005 23:55:14 -0800, "robo hippy" wrote:

Tonight, with the screech of fried bearings, and a puff of smoke, my
$29.95 close quater drill died. The shaft coming out of the body had
gotten loose. I was sanding in both clock and counter clock wise. I
don't know how many bowls I got sanded with it, but a couple hundred
anyway, and 80 plus hours of time on it.
Did I get my money worth out of it? Yes!
Is it as good as the Milwaukee and Sioux? No!
Would I buy it again if it was half the price of the S/M drills?
Possibly.
Will I buy it again? Yes. I can't burn up just one and consider the
test conclusive.
At about 1/5th the price of the S/M drills, I think that it is a good
buy and a bargain, especially if you are more recreational with your
turning. Even with production work, I still think it is a good buy.
robo hippy

I got mine about the same time that you did... It's done a great job on a lot of
bowls, using 2" and 3" sanding disks and never complaining...
For less than $30 including shipping, I'll buy one (or 2) again and probably
will...

IMO, it's better than buying the brand name and worrying about burning IT up..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

The expensive drills also fail, mostly due to accumulation of sawdust
inside. Friends of mine have paid more for repairing them than the total
cost of your "economy-priced" drill.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller

robo hippy wrote:
Tonight, with the screech of fried bearings, and a puff of smoke, my

snip

R.I.P. - That would be Rest In Pieces? g

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
The expensive drills also fail, mostly due to accumulation of sawdust
inside. Friends of mine have paid more for repairing them than the total
cost of your "economy-priced" drill.

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=116-753

The old Maytag motor is safe at a distance, and the "drill" weighs next to
nothing.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Chuck

wrote:

Is it as good as the Milwaukee and Sioux? No!

If it spins a piece of sandpaper at the proper angle and speed, how
can it _not_ be "as good" as the aformentioned?

When I started turning, just over 4 years ago, I had a Master Mechanic
drill, which probably cost about $29.95 over 10 years ago, when it was
bought. I have used it for the time I have been turning and am still
using it, although occasionally I get a hunk of motor brush (?)
smacking into my hand from time to time. I'll use it until it quits,
then probably replace the brushes for a couple of bucks and use it for
a few more years.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross

Barry N. Turner wrote:
I'm using a conventional 9.6 volt Panasonic cordless drill for power sanding
with no complaints. Actually, it works pretty well. On the high range top
speed is 1500 rpm, which is plenty fast for sanding. I had the battery
rebuilt at a Batteries Plus for half the cost of a new one. Does anyone
else use a conventional drill for sanding?

Barry

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
The expensive drills also fail, mostly due to accumulation of sawdust
inside. Friends of mine have paid more for repairing them than the total
cost of your "economy-priced" drill.

I used a DeWalt 12v for a couple of years but got to thinking of the
sandpaper grit getting into it so got a B&D VSR tailed drill and it
works fine. I have an outlet just over the tailstock which makes it
convenient. Never felt the need for an angled drill.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Got kleptomania?? Take something for it!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

"robo hippy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Tonight, with the screech of fried bearings, and a puff of smoke, my
$29.95 close quater drill died. The shaft coming out of the body had
gotten loose. I was sanding in both clock and counter clock wise. I
don't know how many bowls I got sanded with it, but a couple hundred
anyway, and 80 plus hours of time on it.

SNIP .............
==============================
Sounds like you may have just fried the bearings. If there's no damage to
the drill body or signs of roasted windings, I'd get some replacement
bearings and probably run it as long as you did before. Of course, if
there's visible damage to the areas other than the bearings, well, so long
import!

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Chuck

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 07:37:04 -0600, "Barry N. Turner"
wrote:

Does anyone
else use a conventional drill for sanding?

My 10+ y.o. Master Mechanic drill I use, which I mentioned in the

Works like a charm.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy

How can it not be as good as? Easy, given my experience with both
drills, I would say that under the same work loads, the Sioux/Milwaukee
drill will last about 3 times longer that the cheap model. This is
still a test in progress.
robo hippy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Chuck

On 3 Dec 2005 23:15:59 -0800, "robo hippy"
wrote:

How can it not be as good as? Easy, given my experience with both
drills, I would say that under the same work loads, the Sioux/Milwaukee
drill will last about 3 times longer that the cheap model. This is
still a test in progress.

Actually, my question was in regards to the _functionality_ of the
cheap vs. expensive drill, rather than the life span, which is what I
thought your rhetorical question was also in reference to.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 17:35:15 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

The expensive drills also fail, mostly due to accumulation of sawdust
inside. Friends of mine have paid more for repairing them than the total
cost of your "economy-priced" drill.

That's exactly why I ordered one, Leo..
I know myself well enough to guarantee that I won't blow the drill out with air,
regrease or replace bearings...
so "disposable" is the way to go for me..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

wrote:

I'm using a conventional 9.6 volt Panasonic cordless drill for power sanding
with no complaints. Actually, it works pretty well. On the high range top
speed is 1500 rpm, which is plenty fast for sanding. I had the battery
rebuilt at a Batteries Plus for half the cost of a new one. Does anyone
else use a conventional drill for sanding?

Barry

I still use my Craftsman corded 3/8 VSR drill for a lot of sanding... especially
on the deeper, narrow stuff...
The close quarter drill is great when it's shallow or wide enough to fit inside,
but sometimes the extra "reach" of a conventional drill is easier than
extensions or added pads (I also use them) on an angle drill..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 16:50:12 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
The expensive drills also fail, mostly due to accumulation of sawdust
inside. Friends of mine have paid more for repairing them than the total
cost of your "economy-priced" drill.

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=116-753

The old Maytag motor is safe at a distance, and the "drill" weighs next to
nothing.

George... I have what looks like the same cable... don't remember the brand, but
same size, price, etc...
I'm really unhappy with the chuck being connected with a drill-driver type snap
on and am considering gluing or set screwing the chuck on the shaft...

Have you had any problems with the chuck wobbling or coming of?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On 3 Dec 2005 23:15:59 -0800, "robo hippy" wrote:

How can it not be as good as? Easy, given my experience with both
drills, I would say that under the same work loads, the Sioux/Milwaukee
drill will last about 3 times longer that the cheap model. This is
still a test in progress.
robo hippy

That was my thought when I bought my "cheapy"... it's 1/4 of the price, so if it
lasts 1/3 as long as the Sioux, I'm ahead of the game..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"mac davis" wrote in message

George... I have what looks like the same cable... don't remember the
brand, but
same size, price, etc...
I'm really unhappy with the chuck being connected with a drill-driver type
snap
on and am considering gluing or set screwing the chuck on the shaft...

Have you had any problems with the chuck wobbling or coming of?

It's screwed on, same as any other chuck. No problem. I'm on my fourth or
fifth in twenty years. Only thing you have to be careful of is jamming the
entire thing so that the flexible wire unwinds. You can do that by
mistaking a 60 for 80 grit and sanding with a 3" disk freehand. Just about
broke my wrist, too. Anyone need four old 60 grit 3" disks from my sampler
set?

When using coarser than 120, make sure you keep a light touch. I like to
rest it on a toolrest and use it as a rotary gouge. When used with
power-lock hard disks, it doesn't dive into soft areas in spalted stock,
which is a real plus.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 13:47:54 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .

George... I have what looks like the same cable... don't remember the
brand, but
same size, price, etc...
I'm really unhappy with the chuck being connected with a drill-driver type
snap
on and am considering gluing or set screwing the chuck on the shaft...

Have you had any problems with the chuck wobbling or coming of?

It's screwed on, same as any other chuck. No problem. I'm on my fourth or
fifth in twenty years. Only thing you have to be careful of is jamming the
entire thing so that the flexible wire unwinds. You can do that by
mistaking a 60 for 80 grit and sanding with a 3" disk freehand. Just about
broke my wrist, too. Anyone need four old 60 grit 3" disks from my sampler
set?

hmm.. different brand, then... the chuck on mine snaps on to the cable with a
driver-bit type hex and wobbles..

It's my second cable.. first one jammed and kinked the first time it was used
and had to be exchanged... not having a lot of luck with flex cables.. *g*

When using coarser than 120, make sure you keep a light touch. I like to
rest it on a toolrest and use it as a rotary gouge. When used with
power-lock hard disks, it doesn't dive into soft areas in spalted stock,
which is a real plus.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike Paulson

Kevin Miller wrote:
R.I.P. - That would be Rest In Pieces? g

It's regional. Up there in Juneau where you live I hear it means
"Rusted In Place"

-mike

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller

Mike Paulson wrote:
Kevin Miller wrote:
R.I.P. - That would be Rest In Pieces? g

It's regional. Up there in Juneau where you live I hear it means
"Rusted In Place"

-mike

Ayup. Kids keep asking "we gonna have a white Christmas?" and every
time I think we might the snow turns to rain. Freezes at night, slicker
than all get out, turns to slush in the day. Ah well. Good excuse to
stay indoors and turn...

....Kevin