Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default R.I.P.

"mac davis" wrote in message

George... I have what looks like the same cable... don't remember the
brand, but
same size, price, etc...
I'm really unhappy with the chuck being connected with a drill-driver type
snap
on and am considering gluing or set screwing the chuck on the shaft...

Have you had any problems with the chuck wobbling or coming of?

It's screwed on, same as any other chuck. No problem. I'm on my fourth or
fifth in twenty years. Only thing you have to be careful of is jamming the
entire thing so that the flexible wire unwinds. You can do that by
mistaking a 60 for 80 grit and sanding with a 3" disk freehand. Just about
broke my wrist, too. Anyone need four old 60 grit 3" disks from my sampler
set?

When using coarser than 120, make sure you keep a light touch. I like to
rest it on a toolrest and use it as a rotary gouge. When used with
power-lock hard disks, it doesn't dive into soft areas in spalted stock,
which is a real plus.