Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

Default Jet Mini belt adjustment door??

Not a clue why they did the screwed up latch............it's still better
than the plastic thingy on the Delta. That aside, the Jet is a very nice
little mini lathe.

Barry

"mac davis" wrote in message
news
My sort of pet peeve with the mini is the access door for the lower belt
pully...well, to be more specific, the latch for it...

Anyone have a clue why they put such a cumbersome setup on there, with the
spring loaded rod, etc.??

It seems like either a simple latch or a spring loaded door like the top
one
would be fine, but I'm assuming that there is some technical reason for

the way
it is?

I know that I'm probably the only one that has gotten the timing of

pulling out
the knob and opening the door, so that the rod jambs the door half open...

maybe
I'm just uncoordinated... YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

Anyone have a clue why they put such a cumbersome setup on there, with the
spring loaded rod, etc.??

Ha, ha, ha! I jamb the thing every time I use one - I thought it was
just me and due to unfamiliarity since I use a Delta Midi. On my Delta,
I habitually leave the lower door open all the time - not that it's
difficult to open or close, just laziness I guess...

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
maquah

damn, I own a minijet and now I know, not to open the damn door unless
it is to remove the thingy forever.
thanks for the tip

ps. getting better with this lathe, now have to figure out how to
sharpen things...
also a big pile of firestarter if anyone needs some free.\\

Maquah

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I actually get along pretty well with that door, not too much of an
issue (not an easy thing, but manageable)

What I have a problem with is the Tail stock of the Jet. When I try to
tighten the live center into the work, the minute some pressure starts,
the tail stock starts moving away - no matter how much I tighten the
lever that holds it to place...

Moshe

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On 23 Nov 2005 05:55:38 -0800, " wrote:

I actually get along pretty well with that door, not too much of an
issue (not an easy thing, but manageable)

What I have a problem with is the Tail stock of the Jet. When I try to
tighten the live center into the work, the minute some pressure starts,
the tail stock starts moving away - no matter how much I tighten the
lever that holds it to place...

Moshe

hmm... shouldn't be happening unless you're really applying torque... have you
tried adjusting the nut underneath on the locking mechanism?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Moshe, if all else fails, replace the round clamping plate with a
rectangular plate & between ways extension. Make sure the 'under' ways
are smooth.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Meshel

Yes I have heard that some people have had that problem with the Jet,
the easy fix apparently is to make a heavier rectangle or squire spacer
to replace the washer that is under the tailstock and the tailstock will
not budge after you make that upgrade again.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

wrote:

I actually get along pretty well with that door, not too much of an
issue (not an easy thing, but manageable)

What I have a problem with is the Tail stock of the Jet. When I try to
tighten the live center into the work, the minute some pressure starts,
the tail stock starts moving away - no matter how much I tighten the
lever that holds it to place...

Moshe

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

In article .com,
" wrote:

I actually get along pretty well with that door, not too much of an
issue (not an easy thing, but manageable)

What I have a problem with is the Tail stock of the Jet. When I try to
tighten the live center into the work, the minute some pressure starts,
the tail stock starts moving away - no matter how much I tighten the
lever that holds it to place...

Moshe

Without getting into the subject of being overly aggressive...

On my Delta midi I use a wood mallet when I really need the tailstock to
stay in place. A few quick raps and it's good to go - been doing it for
several years now and don't see any ill affects.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Storey

What's a 'Squire' spacer Leo? I just Googled the term and came up zilch. I
could use one for the same reason.

Tom

.. .

wrote:

I actually get along pretty well with that door, not too much of an
issue (not an easy thing, but manageable)

What I have a problem with is the Tail stock of the Jet. When I try to
tighten the live center into the work, the minute some pressure starts,
the tail stock starts moving away - no matter how much I tighten the
lever that holds it to place...

Moshe

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Tom

Squire you said ?? I said ??? oooohhh jep

Tom square is the word, like with 4 corners you know, the same as
rectangle, just a bit shorter on the long side, G.

Squire on the other hand is a high class farmer, he wouldn't hold your
tailstock I think.

Yes I know I'm almost perfect, well I'm trying, don't hold your breath
though.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo