Mike Sollins

Default door hanging help needed

I'm building a new partition wall and am having trouble with the
(pre-hung) door. I got the jamb installed OK and the door worked
perfectly. I then removed the door and took it out to the garage to
paint it. Meanwhile I worked on installing the casing around the jamb.
Evidently, in the process of nailing the casing to the jamb I deformed
the jamb. I only discovered this when door, casing, wall etc were all
nicely painted and I went to replace the door on its hinges. The frist
thing I noticed was that it was a little harder than I had remembered
aligning all 3 hinges and putting the pins in. Then to my horror as I
swung the door back and forth I heard awful groaning noises from the
woodwork. I found that if I unscrew the center hinge from the jamb
(leaving it attached to the door) that hinge moves 3/16 of an inch
relative to the screw holes in the jamb as I swing the door through 180
degrees. No wonder I heard groaning noises with all 3 hinges in place!
Using a 4' straightedge I can't really see any deformation of the
jamb. The door does seem very slightly warped (don't know if this is
new since painting it). I hope I've described the problem well enough
for someone to offer some advice. (I know: next time I'll leave the
door in place when installing the casing!)

Thanks,
Mike Sollins

p.s. The door still lines up just fine in the jamb when closed.

Oh, another thing: I had thought the short screws holding the hinges in
the jamb were meant to be replaced with longer screws that would go all
the way into the framing of the rough opening. But this prehung door is
built in such a way that those screws, if lengthened, would go into the
edge of the sheetrock, not the framing. Is this typical of prehung doors?
RicodJour

Mike Sollins wrote:
[...]

If it lines up fine when closed, and the reveal is uniform around the
perimeter of the door, that slightly warped door is probably the
problem. If you painted the door laying flat, painting one side and
then waiting until it dried before painting the other, that could have
caused it to warp some. It's also possible that the door was slightly
warped to begin with and you just didn't notice it.

Over time the door should find an equilbibrium and quiet down some.

If in fact you did pull the jamb out of alignment when installing the
casing, you might have to pull it and reinstall. Not a huge deal. Run
a razor knife along the casing/jamb edge and use care prying the pieces
off.

Oh, another thing: I had thought the short screws holding the hinges in
the jamb were meant to be replaced with longer screws that would go all
the way into the framing of the rough opening. But this prehung door is
built in such a way that those screws, if lengthened, would go into the
edge of the sheetrock, not the framing. Is this typical of prehung doors?

Yes. No need to swap out the screws.

George E. Cawthon

Mike Sollins wrote:
[...]

The last part first. No you do not replace the
short screws/

If what you say is an accurate representation, you
need to remove the trim, hang the door, and renail
the trim.

I presume you mean the middle hinge moves in and
out 3/16 of an inch. That means you really bent
the jamb. If I were you, the first thing I would
try would be to slightly loosen th hinge plates on
the door, hang the door, slightly loosen the
hinge plate on the jambs, and slowly tighten the
various screws as you swing the door. You may
find that you do not need to do anything else.
Dean Swinger

When removing the door perhaps you tweaked 1 of the hinges by not
removing the door evenly sounds like it may be a heavy door if it had
3 hinges and if the top came out first and all the wieght rested one
the bottom hinge you more than likely tweaked it. I'm sure it's
happened to more of us than any will admit.