Bill Gooch

Default Chuck

I've been turning for a couple of years now, using a faceplate and
sacrificing a lot of wood in the process. I'm ready to go for a chuck now
and have pretty much decided on a SuperNova 2 for my Delta 715 lathe. I'm
purely a hobbyist so I don't need the best but want something simple that I
don't have to buy a bunch of jaws for.

Search the newsgroup and found considerable opinion but hard to tell which
chuck would be better for a novice/duffer that simply wants a hobby.

Any guidance appreciated.

--
Bill

Leo Lichtman

"Bill Gooch" wrote: (clip) want something simple that I don't have to buy
a bunch of jaws for. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You don't HAVE to buy a bunch of jaws for ANY chuck. But, think of it this
way: a chuck is a fairly expensive item. By comparison, jaws are
relatively cheap. Each time you add a set of jaws to your setup, you extend
the usefulness of the chuck, so you are buying a lot for a little. You will
have the chuck and jaws for the rest of your life. The sooner you buy them
the less of your life you waste.

Bjarte Runderheim

"Bill Gooch" wrote in message
news
I've been turning for a couple of years now, using a faceplate and
sacrificing a lot of wood in the process. I'm ready to go for a chuck now
and have pretty much decided on a SuperNova 2 for my Delta 715 lathe. I'm
purely a hobbyist so I don't need the best but want something simple that
I don't have to buy a bunch of jaws for.

Search the newsgroup and found considerable opinion but hard to tell which
chuck would be better for a novice/duffer that simply wants a hobby.

Any guidance appreciated.

I think Leo gave the most important message concerning the question
"To chuck or not to chuck", which is the essence.

I have tried most of the good ones, and a couple of the cheap ones,
and now I own a Talon and a Stronghold, both from Oneway.

It is my opinion that all the chucks in this price-class, Novas and
SuperNovas
included, of course, are all very much usable and reliable.
Go ahead and buy your SuperNova, I am sure you will be happy with it.
I am sure your choice of the SuperNova must be partly for the wide range
of accessories.

As for jaws, you should have two, the "normal" jaw (50mm) wich is
the "must have" if you only want one, and the spigot jaws for holding
the small and the thin.

Best of luck with your decision.

Bjarte

Kevin

Hello Bill,

I bought the SuperNova and think it came with the 3" to 4" jaw set. This
was fine for a time but within the last couple years I bought two more jaw
sets - the small 1" and the 2". I purchased the teknatool chuck because
pretty much all the teknatool jaws will fit on the same body. I am also
strictly a hobbyist and the chuck amply serves my needs. It's all the toys
asscociated with turning that eat up my budget.

"Bill Gooch" wrote in message
news
I've been turning for a couple of years now, using a faceplate and
sacrificing a lot of wood in the process. I'm ready to go for a chuck now
and have pretty much decided on a SuperNova 2 for my Delta 715 lathe. I'm
purely a hobbyist so I don't need the best but want something simple that

don't have to buy a bunch of jaws for.

Search the newsgroup and found considerable opinion but hard to tell which
chuck would be better for a novice/duffer that simply wants a hobby.

Any guidance appreciated.

--
Bill

George

"Bill Gooch" wrote in message
news
I've been turning for a couple of years now, using a faceplate and
sacrificing a lot of wood in the process. I'm ready to go for a chuck now
and have pretty much decided on a SuperNova 2 for my Delta 715 lathe. I'm
purely a hobbyist so I don't need the best but want something simple that
I don't have to buy a bunch of jaws for.

Search the newsgroup and found considerable opinion but hard to tell which
chuck would be better for a novice/duffer that simply wants a hobby.

Any guidance appreciated.

Don't get a threaded one, get one with an insert that you can adapt to your
next - yes, he said "next" - lathe.

If you're doing the Super, get the standard 50 and the 25mm "pin jaws." I
use them about 90% of the time.

robo hippy

After getting my first chuck and all of the sets of jaws that I thought
I would need, I found that I use three jaws; a small set on my small
chuck, a large set on my big chuck, and a smaller extended set (one
inch outside, and 1/4 inch inside) on my other small chuck. It got to
be a hastle to change jaws, so I bought an extra chuck. All of my
chucks are Vicmark, and I have used and abused them severely, and they
hold up fine.
robo hippy

I've been using my Vicmarc 120 now for about 7 - 8 years now, really
hard. Large objects, off center turning, you name it. Solid as a
tank, even after my no so gentle use.

The only thing now is that it does seem a little bit smoother when
tightening to grip. It has been bulletproof.

By deciding if you will turn from spigots or mortises, you will
determine how you will grip, and hence what jaws you will need. I have
the jaw that came on my chuck, and sprung for a set of small long nose
jaws. Never needed anything else.

In fact, when I am holding something I don't want scratched, I use a
jam chuck held in the scroll chuck jaws... talk about too easy. Just
because you now have a scroller doesn't mean you stop using the other
tools and ways of turning.

I do agree that once you pass a certain point of $$ they are all nice
chucks.

Robert

mac davis

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:26:44 -0400, "Bill Gooch" wrote:

I've been turning for a couple of years now, using a faceplate and
sacrificing a lot of wood in the process. I'm ready to go for a chuck now
and have pretty much decided on a SuperNova 2 for my Delta 715 lathe. I'm
purely a hobbyist so I don't need the best but want something simple that I
don't have to buy a bunch of jaws for.

Search the newsgroup and found considerable opinion but hard to tell which
chuck would be better for a novice/duffer that simply wants a hobby.

Any guidance appreciated.

I spent a few bucks more for the Oneway Talon, at the suggestion of a few
members here... it's my first chuck and I had no idea what I was doing.. *g*

After about a year and a couple of hundred of turnings, I'd never change.. but
since I've never used any other chuck, my opinion is very bios..
I love the one hand use with the key, the way it holds and how much easier it
has made turning.. especially on bowls... YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Brad Curfman

Bill Gooch wrote:
I've been turning for a couple of years now, using a faceplate and
sacrificing a lot of wood in the process. I'm ready to go for a chuck now
and have pretty much decided on a SuperNova 2 for my Delta 715 lathe. I'm
purely a hobbyist so I don't need the best but want something simple that I
don't have to buy a bunch of jaws for.

Search the newsgroup and found considerable opinion but hard to tell which
chuck would be better for a novice/duffer that simply wants a hobby.

Any guidance appreciated.

I got my first lathe recently and bought the SuperNova2. It's easy to
use and works fine for me. I bought it thru Amazon and got a good price
on it compared to what I'd see at the Woodcraft store. You can't order
thru Amazon anymore for this company as they have switched over to eBay.

Go to http://woodworkerspecialties.com to get to the storefront.
They seem to have very reasonable prices. My set came with the 2" bowl
jaws, 25mm pin jaws, woodworm screw, and insert for my lathe. All for
$193. After ordering, you will get an email requesting your lathe type
so they can give you the proper insert.

Brad Curfman
http://www.curfman.net
George

"Brad Curfman" wrote in message
Go to http://woodworkerspecialties.com to get to the storefront.
They seem to have very reasonable prices.

ROTFLMAO - "Bynford" tools, too!!!

"More power" to 'em.