Bjarte Runderheim

"Bill Gooch" wrote in message
news
I've been turning for a couple of years now, using a faceplate and
sacrificing a lot of wood in the process. I'm ready to go for a chuck now
and have pretty much decided on a SuperNova 2 for my Delta 715 lathe. I'm
purely a hobbyist so I don't need the best but want something simple that
I don't have to buy a bunch of jaws for.

Search the newsgroup and found considerable opinion but hard to tell which
chuck would be better for a novice/duffer that simply wants a hobby.

Any guidance appreciated.

I think Leo gave the most important message concerning the question
"To chuck or not to chuck", which is the essence.

I have tried most of the good ones, and a couple of the cheap ones,
and now I own a Talon and a Stronghold, both from Oneway.

It is my opinion that all the chucks in this price-class, Novas and
SuperNovas
included, of course, are all very much usable and reliable.
Go ahead and buy your SuperNova, I am sure you will be happy with it.
I am sure your choice of the SuperNova must be partly for the wide range
of accessories.

As for jaws, you should have two, the "normal" jaw (50mm) wich is
the "must have" if you only want one, and the spigot jaws for holding
the small and the thin.

Best of luck with your decision.

Bjarte