Thomas Clark

Default Large Cherry Tree turning project

I found this cherry tree at the local salvage yard. I've turned a few
things in the past like rolling pins and pens. But this will be my first
try at making twiced turned bowls. I have some really large slabs I got out
of this tree. I was thinking of selling some of it on Ebay and was
wondering what kind of sizes should I cut it into? I have pieces 3 inches
thick, 6 inches and 8 inches. I'd like to make a little money at least to
pay for the milling of it and maybe put some toward a nice lathe. Anyone
recommend a good mid sized lathe?

http://home.earthlink.net/~harmonyhearts/cherry-tree/

Thomas

Xlat

I'd LOVE to have a bunch of it, 3" square and various lengths,
assuming it is dry. If it's not dry, you are going to have some
serious warpage.... Drop me an email if you like

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 02:15:53 GMT, " Thomas Clark"
wrote:

I found this cherry tree at the local salvage yard. I've turned a few
things in the past like rolling pins and pens. But this will be my first
try at making twiced turned bowls. I have some really large slabs I got out
of this tree. I was thinking of selling some of it on Ebay and was
wondering what kind of sizes should I cut it into? I have pieces 3 inches
thick, 6 inches and 8 inches. I'd like to make a little money at least to
pay for the milling of it and maybe put some toward a nice lathe. Anyone
recommend a good mid sized lathe?

http://home.earthlink.net/~harmonyhearts/cherry-tree/

Thomas

Remove the nospam from my address to email me!!
Thomas Clark

No its green wood. Freshly cut out of this tree. It might take a few years
to dry the 8 inch slab. I think its 1 year per inch. That means if I put
it in a cool dry place it will take 8 years to completely dry. With wet
wood you put it on the lathe and lathe the bulk of the material away making
the walls of your bowl or whatever your making about 3/4 - 1 inch thick.
Then let it dry slowly over a period of 6 months to a year depending on
humidity. And you can turn it again to get it round again. Thats why they
call em "Twice turned bowls". They are turned from green wood.

Thanks for the comments!

P.S. Yeah, that was my first impression. Ohhhh my god! Look how big that
thing is. I can't believe someone just through that out.

Thomas

Steven Raphael

Well if you are in the central michigan area I would love to have some of it
but I dought that I could afford it right now. Very nice slabs of cherry
good luck with whatever you decide to do with it.
" Thomas Clark" wrote in message
nk.net...
I found this cherry tree at the local salvage yard. I've turned a few
things in the past like rolling pins and pens. But this will be my first
try at making twiced turned bowls. I have some really large slabs I got
out of this tree. I was thinking of selling some of it on Ebay and was
wondering what kind of sizes should I cut it into? I have pieces 3 inches
thick, 6 inches and 8 inches. I'd like to make a little money at least to
pay for the milling of it and maybe put some toward a nice lathe. Anyone
recommend a good mid sized lathe?

http://home.earthlink.net/~harmonyhearts/cherry-tree/

Thomas

Thomas Clark

I'm located here in Northern Indiana. Goshen to be exact. I'd be willing
to share some of it with someone if they could share some wisdom with me.
Anyone closeby interested? I just cut up some more this evening. I've got
one piece 21 x 21 x 3.5. Whew! I can
only imagine what could be make out of that. Really nice grain. Maybe I
should take a pic of it and post it for everyone to drewl over.
I can't believe it and its in my possestion. Whoah! Someone pinch me. I
think I'm going to like bowl turning.

Thomas

Prometheus

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 01:00:05 GMT, " Thomas Clark"
wrote:

I'm located here in Northern Indiana. Goshen to be exact. I'd be willing
to share some of it with someone if they could share some wisdom with me.
Anyone closeby interested? I just cut up some more this evening. I've got
one piece 21 x 21 x 3.5. Whew! I can
only imagine what could be make out of that. Really nice grain. Maybe I
should take a pic of it and post it for everyone to drewl over.
I can't believe it and its in my possestion. Whoah! Someone pinch me. I
think I'm going to like bowl turning.

That's a score- if you happen to have any left around Thanksgiving,
post again, and I'd be happy to buy a slab from you. It's too far for
a special trip, but it'd make a great detour when the wife and I go on
vacation.

Of course, if I were you, I'd hang onto it.... better to have good
wood to turn on a little lathe than it is to have a good lathe with no
wood for it!
Thomas Clark

Trouble is I'll probably have about 100 to 120 blocks from this tree by the
time I'm done chunking it up. I'm just worried that it will start
splitting before I can get it all sealed up. I went to Hobby Lobby and
bought a 10 lb block of wax. I guess I need to fire up the stove and start
dunking. Hee Hee! Looks like I'll need to clear out some space in the
basement to store these babies!

Thanks

Thomas

Prometheus

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 02:12:08 GMT, " Thomas Clark"
wrote:

Trouble is I'll probably have about 100 to 120 blocks from this tree by the
time I'm done chunking it up. I'm just worried that it will start
splitting before I can get it all sealed up. I went to Hobby Lobby and
bought a 10 lb block of wax. I guess I need to fire up the stove and start
dunking. Hee Hee! Looks like I'll need to clear out some space in the
basement to store these babies!

Might be enough to justify one of those propane turkey fryers. You
could dunk them as you cut.