Prometheus

Default Looking for a clockwork supplier

Hello all,

As I've been turning up a veritable storm lately, and everything else
in my bedroom has been handmade but the matress and sheets, I'm
currently looking for a couple of sets of clockworks that I can
install in a turned cased. Specifically, I'd really like to find the
old style double-bell alarm clock works, though I'd be willing to
stick with the "big ben" style if that is all I can find. I prefer to
plug the things into the wall, but a battery-powered set of works
might be okay as well.

Anyone else ever made one of these? If so, where is a good place to
fine the clockworks- all I can find are the works for standard clocks
(no alarm) and grandfather clocks.

If all else fails, I suppose I can just buy one that is already
finished and remove the innards, but that seems like kind of a waste,
and is likely to be somewhat lower quality.

WillR

Prometheus wrote:
[...]

I use http://nicks.ca and http://kidder.ca

If they don't carry it probably a quick email will help find a supplier.
They seem pretty well connected. I recall another one that has
sophisticated movements and clock kits... I will see if I can find the
reference.

I am just doing a country style clock and a mission style, and plan to
turn a case as well. Have fun.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Hey... is this the Prometheus?

Nailshooter here. Some time ago I had some online friends that loved
the Hermle movements for clocks they were making for clients. They
went he

http://www.clockworks.com

http://www.blackforestimports.com/home.asp

And then there is old faithful:

http://www.klockit.com/products/sku-EEEEM.html

These guys have all been around for a while. They sell some pretty
cool kits, too. But if you are looking for some fit ups for something,
try Craft Supplies or even Woodcraft.

I have put their cheapie battery powered clocks and watch movements in
a pile of Christmas gifts over the years and quite surprisingly have
never had one fail.

Robert

Patriarch

Prometheus wrote in
:

Hello all,

As I've been turning up a veritable storm lately, and everything else
in my bedroom has been handmade but the matress and sheets, I'm
currently looking for a couple of sets of clockworks that I can
install in a turned cased. Specifically, I'd really like to find the
old style double-bell alarm clock works, though I'd be willing to
stick with the "big ben" style if that is all I can find. I prefer to
plug the things into the wall, but a battery-powered set of works
might be okay as well.

www.merritts.com

I've used them for Shaker repro clockworks, but they have a wide selection.

Patriarch
Prometheus

On 23 May 2005 08:18:27 -0700, wrote:

Hey... is this the Prometheus?

Yep, that'd be me.

Nailshooter here. Some time ago I had some online friends that loved
the Hermle movements for clocks they were making for clients. They
went he

http://www.clockworks.com

http://www.blackforestimports.com/home.asp

And then there is old faithful:

http://www.klockit.com/products/sku-EEEEM.html

These guys have all been around for a while. They sell some pretty
cool kits, too. But if you are looking for some fit ups for something,
try Craft Supplies or even Woodcraft.

I fired off an e-mail to the klockit site- so far, they're the only
ones I've seen with movements that include an alarm! Who knew alarm
clocks were such a rarity... I suppose they're all digital these
days. Thanks for the links!

I have put their cheapie battery powered clocks and watch movements in
a pile of Christmas gifts over the years and quite surprisingly have
never had one fail.

That's not too surprising, is it? Right now I've got a couple of
clocks with 2 or 3 dollar movements, and they work just fine. The
wonders of modern technology, eh?

Robert

Prometheus

On Mon, 23 May 2005 10:54:55 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:

Prometheus wrote in
:

Hello all,

As I've been turning up a veritable storm lately, and everything else
in my bedroom has been handmade but the matress and sheets, I'm
currently looking for a couple of sets of clockworks that I can
install in a turned cased. Specifically, I'd really like to find the
old style double-bell alarm clock works, though I'd be willing to
stick with the "big ben" style if that is all I can find. I prefer to
plug the things into the wall, but a battery-powered set of works
might be okay as well.

www.merritts.com

I've used them for Shaker repro clockworks, but they have a wide selection.

Hmm... those ones without battery covers look like they'd work for
gutting purposes, and the price is certainly right. Thanks!

Patriarch

Prometheus

On Mon, 23 May 2005 08:02:55 -0400, WillR
wrote:

Prometheus wrote:
[...]

Got the e-mail sent, thanks for the lead!

I am just doing a country style clock and a mission style, and plan to
turn a case as well. Have fun.

Always!

WillR

wrote:

Prometheus wrote:

[...]

Craftime Clockery
(Hermle Westminster et al., movements, weather instruments, bezels etc.)
Order Desk 1 800-263-clox (2569)
Fax 1 866-277-4577

No email or web -- so I guess if you want antique stuff the they are the
people. :-)

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek