blaine YOung

Default need to find supplier for thernal switch

I have 10 Kitchen Aid coffee makers that all have the same problem
that I want to repair. The problem is a defective thermal switch in
the heating element. I googled for a supplier/manufacturer for the
defective switch but came up dry. The number on the component is
155431 0 5 0 N T1 318C. Can someone tell me how else I can find a
supplier. If I can't find a supplier, can I just use another thermal
switch from one of the other coffee makers to replace the defective
one even though the component numbers are different? At least this
way, I could repair 1/2 of the coffee makers. The number on the
thermal switch that I want to use as a replacement is 161471 019 190C.
I think the last number on both components refers to the temperature
the switch opens. If I am correct, it should be safe because the
replacement switch has a lower switching temperature than the
defective one, and therefore would open up and interupt the power at a
lower temperature. By the way, all the switches (4 of them) are in
series and therefore if one opens up then the whole circuit is opened.
The one that would open up first is the one with the lowest
temperature rating and for this reason I think it would be safe to go
ahead and use the replacement switches from the other units. I'd
appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Blaine Young
mike

blaine YOung wrote:
[...]

The stakes are high and your legal problems outweigh the technical ones.
Use the correct thermal switch.
Thermal switches are there for a reason. If it blew, there's likely a
cause. Yes, sometimes they just let go, but I'd be wary.
Depending on where they are,
you may have to spot weld the replacement.
If you don't know or can't get the correct thermal switch, throw out the
coffee maker. It's not worth a fire.

Now, let's do a little reading between the lines...dangerous, I know,
but sometimes instructive.
Why the heck would anyone need 10 coffee makers?
The most likely reason is that they intend to sell them.
If you were a buyer, would you want to buy a fire hazard?
If your house caught fire, wouldn't you want to sue the pants
off the seller? And you'd probably win.

Limit your liability. Get the EXACT thermal switch.
Try kitchen aid. OR an appliance repair shop. Either will
probably cost more than you want to spend.

mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment

sofie

blaine YOung:
Have you tried searching the web for the proper replacement parts??
Yes, "lower" temperature rating is a safe substitution........ have you
contacted KitchenAid or their authorized servicer for the proper
replacement part?
You need to learn how to use your search engines..... just a minute ago
Yahoo provided hundreds of good hits in response to my two different search
inquiries "kitchenaid coffee maker" and "kitchenaid repair parts"
The very first search return on the first search is the following link:
http://www.repairclinic.com/0070.asp?Brand=121
Also you can go to KitchenAid's web site at
http://www.kitchenaid.com/
Plan to spend some time searching around and utilize the power of your own
favorite search engines..... It took less than a minute to find the above
answers for this reply to your post.
By the way..... KitchenAid is all one word ...... look how it is written on
the products you have.... that is how you need to most successfully search
for things related to KitchenAid.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"blaine YOung" wrote in message
om...
[...]

blaine YOung

Thanks Mike and Daniel. I have searched on the web using google but
not yahoo and was coming up with nothing. I have contacted KitchenAid
but the person wasn't very helpful. I'll try again and maybe I'll get
a different, more helpful person. Yes, the reason why I have 10 of
them is because they came on a pallet of liquidation products that I
was turning around and selling. The specific problem with this thermal
switch is that the copper/bimetal disc in the bottom of the switch is
missing ... likely a manufacturer's defect. The thermal switch is
mounted on with a nut and so it is easy to replace. Thanks again.
These google groups are invaluable!

Blaine Young

dimmer switch with pull string switch Andy Saggers UK diy 2 March 10th 04 11:18 PM
Earthing Sparks UK diy 17 December 8th 03 11:57 PM
Dimmer Switch Advice Chris Spyrou UK diy 0 October 6th 03 08:13 PM
Wiring a 3 way light switch. Mike Hibbert UK diy 8 October 3rd 03 07:51 PM
OT electrical question Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 24 August 1st 03 03:36 AM