Default wooden sink or bath finish

does anyone have any experience of turning wooden sinks / baths - in
particular what is your experience on the finish used. It must
obviously be waterproof, long lasting , heat proof etc. Any suggestions
would be approeciated.

i had thought of yaught varnish but apparently it may not take to well
to hot water. i'll check their website and see what i can find. good to
hear from you, hope you are both well.

Jim

Try this page: http://www.shopmaninc.com/kk121.html
It is Kleer Koat Epoxy table finish. I've used it on turned bowls, put
it on a picnic table & it seems to be holding. It's a clear two part
epoxy for table tops, the kind you see on bars where they put it over
pennies or other small items. I've had great luck with it but make
sure you read the instructions very closely. It costs about $45 to get
a gallon of each the epoxy & hardener. if anything would stand up to
what you want, I think it would.

Jim

Henry

Try West Systems Epoxy at http://www.westsystem.com/ or System 3 epoxy at
http://www.systemthree.com/index_2.asp either one will provide you with a
waterproof system for water tanks, boats, or bathtubs. Systems 3 has a UV
resistant epoxy that I have used for outdoor water fountains. There are
others out there. I like System 3 but West Systems started the industry and
is still up there at the top. Good luck

Henry

wrote in message
oups.com...
does anyone have any experience of turning wooden sinks / baths - in
particular what is your experience on the finish used. It must
obviously be waterproof, long lasting , heat proof etc. Any suggestions
would be approeciated.

thanks for the advice lads, epoxy seems to be the way to go - any clue
on suppliers in uk.

Arch

Geoff, With only 388 posts on rcw today, I can waste bandwidth without
guilt. Not to disagree or be disagreeable, but I wonder how much these
various coatings over wood are for waterproofing. I know of many cypress
troughs and oak kegs that havn't leaked. Wooden boats used to be glassed
mostly for worm protection not for waterproofing. Henry has forgotten
more about leaks than I ever knew, but at least for strip canoes the
West System seems as much for making a strong monolithic hull as for
waterproofing. That said, I'd use epoxy too.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Jim

With a sink, while I'd be concerned about leakage, I'd be just as
concerned about cleaning and movement. I would hope that an epoxy
would seal the wood at one humidity and then allow clean up of all the
scrunge that sinks seem to accumulate. It could be formed to catch
fittings, too. Years of soaps & cleansers would probably be pretty
hard on any wood. It's not like a salad bowl where an adult can
control the maintenance & use - at least in my house. G

Jim

A Buffing good finish on a wooden door andy:p UK diy 5 April 1st 05 02:59 PM
Oak Dining Table colin UK diy 14 March 15th 05 02:45 PM
Moenstone Sink Mike Home Repair 9 March 6th 05 06:01 AM
Bathroom - Fitting a new sink & wc Nodge UK diy 0 September 21st 04 02:02 PM
damage to bath and sink nomit UK diy 7 August 6th 03 01:48 PM