DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   wooden sink or bath finish (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/102451-wooden-sink-bath-finish.html)

[email protected] April 12th 05 09:14 AM

wooden sink or bath finish

does anyone have any experience of turning wooden sinks / baths - in
particular what is your experience on the finish used. It must
obviously be waterproof, long lasting , heat proof etc. Any suggestions
would be approeciated.

Alun April 12th 05 10:02 AM

wrote:
does anyone have any experience of turning wooden sinks / baths - in
particular what is your experience on the finish used. It must
obviously be waterproof, long lasting , heat proof etc. Any suggestions
would be approeciated.

Hi Geoff,

How are things? There's a company very near to me in Enniskerry that
make wooden bathtubs, albeit not turned. It's a pretty commercial
operation, so I'm not sure whether they'd give away any of their 'trade
secrets' especially as, according to their website, they have a patent
on some aspect or the other of the construction, but you can find them
along with any contact info on
http://www.driftwood.ie.

There was a turned wooden bathroom sink on display at the last Axminster
show, complete with all fixtures and fittings. It looked very
impressive, I must say. As for finish, I'd say it was lots and lots and
lots (did I say lots?) of coats of some clear varnish, maybe something
borrowed from the boating world?

--
Alun Saunders

[email protected] April 12th 05 11:29 AM

i had thought of yaught varnish but apparently it may not take to well
to hot water. i'll check their website and see what i can find. good to
hear from you, hope you are both well.

Carl McCarty April 12th 05 10:15 PM

wrote:
i had thought of yaught varnish but apparently it may not take to well
to hot water. i'll check their website and see what i can find. good to
hear from you, hope you are both well.

You might experiment with a few coatings of epoxy. boatbuilders use it
to saturate fiberglass cloth (which becomes transparent after the epoxy
is applied). Remember, my free advice is worth every dime you paid for
it. I would love to see the results when you get this completed and
details if possible.
Good luck,
Carl McCarty

Jim April 12th 05 10:31 PM

Try this page: http://www.shopmaninc.com/kk121.html
It is Kleer Koat Epoxy table finish. I've used it on turned bowls, put
it on a picnic table & it seems to be holding. It's a clear two part
epoxy for table tops, the kind you see on bars where they put it over
pennies or other small items. I've had great luck with it but make
sure you read the instructions very closely. It costs about $45 to get
a gallon of each the epoxy & hardener. if anything would stand up to
what you want, I think it would.

Jim

Henry April 13th 05 04:20 AM

Try West Systems Epoxy at http://www.westsystem.com/ or System 3 epoxy at
http://www.systemthree.com/index_2.asp either one will provide you with a
waterproof system for water tanks, boats, or bathtubs. Systems 3 has a UV
resistant epoxy that I have used for outdoor water fountains. There are
others out there. I like System 3 but West Systems started the industry and
is still up there at the top. Good luck

Henry

oups.com...

[email protected] April 13th 05 09:48 AM

thanks for the advice lads, epoxy seems to be the way to go - any clue
on suppliers in uk.

Arch April 14th 05 10:23 PM

Geoff, With only 388 posts on rcw today, I can waste bandwidth without
guilt. Not to disagree or be disagreeable, but I wonder how much these
various coatings over wood are for waterproofing. I know of many cypress
troughs and oak kegs that havn't leaked. Wooden boats used to be glassed
mostly for worm protection not for waterproofing. Henry has forgotten
more about leaks than I ever knew, but at least for strip canoes the
West System seems as much for making a strong monolithic hull as for
waterproofing. That said, I'd use epoxy too. :)

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Jim April 22nd 05 04:39 PM

With a sink, while I'd be concerned about leakage, I'd be just as
concerned about cleaning and movement. I would hope that an epoxy
would seal the wood at one humidity and then allow clean up of all the
scrunge that sinks seem to accumulate. It could be formed to catch
fittings, too. Years of soaps & cleansers would probably be pretty
hard on any wood. It's not like a salad bowl where an adult can
control the maintenance & use - at least in my house. G

Jim