andy:p

Default A Buffing good finish on a wooden door

We have just finished buffing (by hand) one door, after applying wax.

Oh! did it take elbow grease - we probably have tennis elbows now. But
it does look good.

So I wondered if there was some mechanical way of buffing wax as we
have a lot more doors to go. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

thanks.
Andy:P

Andy Dingley

On 31 Mar 2005 16:30:42 -0800, "andy" wrote:

So I wondered if there was some mechanical way of buffing wax as we
have a lot more doors to go. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

I use a 1950's electric drill (beautifully made, but too small for much else) and a "plastic wire brush" wheel in it.
Although the bristles are intended to be a mild abrasive (enough to polish copper), they're also excellent for buffing
wax on wood and aren't significantly abrasive. I use the red bristles, rather than the blue ones.

I've also used a Makita wax brushing machine with interchangeable brush rollers a few inches wide. This was excellent
but 300 quid!

andy:p

Let me see if I can get the plastic one to try first.

thanks for this.

The Natural Philosopher

andy wrote:

We have just finished buffing (by hand) one door, after applying wax.

Oh! did it take elbow grease - we probably have tennis elbows now. But
it does look good.

So I wondered if there was some mechanical way of buffing wax as we
have a lot more doors to go. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

thanks.
Andy:P

Buffing mops can be had that fit most electric drills.

Try Halfords - they are the way to get T-cut applied over a big area
quikly, and polish up waxed cars.
simon beer

"andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have just finished buffing (by hand) one door, after applying wax.

Oh! did it take elbow grease - we probably have tennis elbows now. But
it does look good.

So I wondered if there was some mechanical way of buffing wax as we
have a lot more doors to go. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

thanks.
Andy:P

You can get big car polishing machines now for about a tenner. The one I got
is 150w and probably about 10" mop head. Bought it for doing the car but
used it first on a door that I wanted polishing, not sure if it will ever
see the car! Does vibrate rather though.

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 13:41:39 +0100, "simon beer" wrote:

You can get big car polishing machines now for about a tenner.

Useless for wax on wood. Wood finishing waxes are hard waxes, made bufable by using plenty of solvents. Car polishing
waxes are soft and squishy. The rotary car polishers just don't have the grunt to buff out a hard wax like Liberon
Black Bison.

If you use hard wax on a lambswool mop it also turns into a solid waxy blob. You need bristles that stay apart.

Oak Dining Table colin UK diy 14 March 15th 05 02:45 PM
Sharp microwave oven problem Pat Electronics Repair 12 November 19th 04 11:07 PM
Designs for simple wooden door catches [email protected] UK diy 6 May 24th 04 09:12 AM
Replacement Wooden Back Door Michael Chare UK diy 2 March 4th 04 04:32 PM
Article on anchoring a door sill into concrete in basement? Ron Rosen Home Repair 8 November 28th 03 11:18 PM