Default Designs for simple wooden door catches

Can anyone suggest where I might find some ideas for simple wooden
door latches? Just pictures would probably do, I'm not aiming to make
anything sophisticated or beautiful, they're just for holding verious
doors closed on a hen house.

They thus need to be reasonably secure against meddling animals but
easy for us to open and close. They are in various different
positions and hold different types of door - an ordinary hinged door
(except that it closes against the sides rather than into a frame),
two horizontally hinged flaps and a vertical sliding door. I think
there will probably need to be more than one type of latch for the
different doors and positions.

It doesn't matter too much if they're bought latches or I need to make
them myself.

Currently all the hinged doors have Screwfix toggle catches:-

http://tinyurl.com/3fclg

These are OK but not really quite robust enough for the big vertically
hinged door and I feel they need a locating clip (which they're
designed for) to guarantee they don't pop open.

--
Chris Green
BigWallop

wrote in message ...
[...]

2'' X 1'' timber. Cut one piece 30mm long and one piece 70mm long to make your boss.
Cut another piece 300mm long to make your drop latch.

Lay the 70mm piece on top of the 30mm bit making sure that the end of the top piece
lines up with the end of the bottom piece. Drill two holes straight through them so
you can fix them to the door frame with the 40mm overhang at the top. This makes the
boss to receive the drop latch.

Offer the 300mm length up to the boss and keep it horizontal along the door. The bit
that sits inside the boss need only be enough to keep it held tightly in place when
the door is locked. Keeping the drop latch horizontal, mark and drill a hole through
the end away from the boss so that the latch swivels up and out of the boss to open
the door.

Near the boss end of the drop latch screw a nail in to use as a knob for lifting the
latch out of the boss. About 100mm above the nail you drill a hole through the door
and push through a bit of rope or thick string and tie it to the nail leaving the
other end hanging out through the hole so you can pull the string and lift the latch
from the other side of the door.

One simple strong latch.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Michael Mcneil

"BigWallop" wrote in message

wrote in message ...
Can anyone suggest where I might find some ideas for simple wooden
door latches? they're just for holding various
doors closed on a hen house.

They thus need to be reasonably secure against meddling animals but
easy for us to open and close. They are in various different
positions and hold different types of door - an ordinary hinged door
(except that it closes against the sides rather than into a frame),
two horizontally hinged flaps and a vertical sliding door.

2'' X 1'' timber. Cut one piece 30mm long and one piece 70mm long to make your boss.
Cut another piece 300mm long to make your drop latch.

Whatever happened to baler twine in the farmers world? Has everything
spoiled or what? A few strings with knots and a couple of nails per
string and that's them safe for the night.

If you really wanted to push the ark out, you could splash out on some
metal hooks and eyes.

BigWallop wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

I'll have to go away and read that carefully, but it sounds like the
sort of thing I want for the big door, thanks.

--
Chris Green

Michael Mcneil wrote:
"BigWallop" wrote in message

wrote in message ...
Can anyone suggest where I might find some ideas for simple wooden
door latches? they're just for holding various
doors closed on a hen house.

They thus need to be reasonably secure against meddling animals but
easy for us to open and close. They are in various different
positions and hold different types of door - an ordinary hinged door
(except that it closes against the sides rather than into a frame),
two horizontally hinged flaps and a vertical sliding door.

2'' X 1'' timber. Cut one piece 30mm long and one piece 70mm long to make your boss.
Cut another piece 300mm long to make your drop latch.

Whatever happened to baler twine in the farmers world? Has everything
spoiled or what? A few strings with knots and a couple of nails per
string and that's them safe for the night.

We have enough baler twine to last us till the next millenium, it's
from the hay and straw we buy for the horses. However I always think
that resorting to baler twine for mending fences and holding doors
shut is the beginning of the end! :-)

--
Chris Green

jacob

What about a traditional turnkey latch - piece of wood with hole in
middle nailed to door frame (or screwed with a cup washer if you want
to be posh) which you turn from vertical to horizontal to keep the
door shut.

cheers

Jacob

jacob wrote:
What about a traditional turnkey latch - piece of wood with hole in
middle nailed to door frame (or screwed with a cup washer if you want
to be posh) which you turn from vertical to horizontal to keep the
door shut.

I could do that but I'd need to make additions to the door and/or
sides. Currently the door is simply a sheet of 1/2" plywood hinged to
one edge of a box also made of 1/2" plywood. One of the aims of my
design was to keep the inside as smooth as possible to easy cleaning.
I suppose I could arrange the above all outside the henhouse.

--
Chris Green

wooden ladders N. Thornton UK diy 4 February 26th 04 09:07 AM
Wooden vs uPVC door dilemma! Simon UK diy 10 November 12th 03 08:42 PM
Wooden worktops Jon Brooke UK diy 10 October 3rd 03 01:07 AM