The Natural Philosopher

Default Dishwasher service problem.

Situation., 18 month old Hotpoint BF72 dishwasher.
Won't do anything except cme up with Error code E8.

Hotpioint tell me that 'since I didn't take out extended warranty,
that's 89 quid for a bloke to call, plus parts, cos E8 isn't a user
fixable fault, and I can't tell you what it means'

I am assuming that there is a bit of software that says 'IF NOT extended
warranty and IF warranty period display E8 and stop working' :-)

And the bloke comes down and moves a DIP SWITCH or presses a combination
of buttons, and it all starts working again in 3 minutes :-)

What are my options here?

Does anyone know what it means?

Its been pretty crap ever since I had it frankly, and I am totally
underimpressed with its ability to actually wash dishes, but it does a
fair job on coffee cups.

ABC

Situation., 18 month old Hotpoint BF72 dishwasher.
Won't do anything except cme up with Error code E8.

Hotpioint tell me that 'since I didn't take out extended warranty,
that's 89 quid for a bloke to call, plus parts, cos E8 isn't a user
fixable fault, and I can't tell you what it means'

I am assuming that there is a bit of software that says 'IF NOT extended
warranty and IF warranty period display E8 and stop working' :-)

And the bloke comes down and moves a DIP SWITCH or presses a combination
of buttons, and it all starts working again in 3 minutes :-)

What are my options here?

Does anyone know what it means?

Its been pretty crap ever since I had it frankly, and I am totally
underimpressed with its ability to actually wash dishes, but it does a
fair job on coffee cups.

The machine should last more that 18 months without breaking down. See if
you can get them to fix it foc under the "Item should be of durable quality"
part of the SOGA.

Had a fridge door hinge broke on 20 month old Teba fridge. Having argued
that their goods didn't live upto the durability standard, they duly suppied
a new door hinge.

Nick Brooks

ABC wrote:

Situation., 18 month old Hotpoint BF72 dishwasher.
Won't do anything except cme up with Error code E8.

snip

The machine should last more that 18 months without breaking down. See if
you can get them to fix it foc under the "Item should be of durable quality"
part of the SOGA.

Had a fridge door hinge broke on 20 month old Teba fridge. Having argued
that their goods didn't live upto the durability standard, they duly suppied
a new door hinge.

Yes well worth trying. I got a new 28" TV tube off Sony when my 18 month
old one died

NB
sPoNiX

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 12:07:21 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Situation., 18 month old Hotpoint BF72 dishwasher.
Won't do anything except cme up with Error code E8.

Hotpioint tell me that 'since I didn't take out extended warranty,
that's 89 quid for a bloke to call, plus parts, cos E8 isn't a user
fixable fault, and I can't tell you what it means'

I am assuming that there is a bit of software that says 'IF NOT extended
warranty and IF warranty period display E8 and stop working' :-)

And the bloke comes down and moves a DIP SWITCH or presses a combination
of buttons, and it all starts working again in 3 minutes :-)

What are my options here?

These peeps may help:

http://www.theservicecentre.co.uk/Se...rrorcodes.html

Does anyone know what it means?

Its been pretty crap ever since I had it frankly, and I am totally
underimpressed with its ability to actually wash dishes, but it does a
fair job on coffee cups.

Terry D

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Situation., 18 month old Hotpoint BF72 dishwasher.
Won't do anything except cme up with Error code E8.

Hotpioint tell me that 'since I didn't take out extended warranty,
that's 89 quid for a bloke to call, plus parts, cos E8 isn't a user
fixable fault, and I can't tell you what it means'

I am assuming that there is a bit of software that says 'IF NOT
extended warranty and IF warranty period display E8 and stop
working' :-)

And the bloke comes down and moves a DIP SWITCH or presses a
combination of buttons, and it all starts working again in 3 minutes
:-)

What are my options here?

Does anyone know what it means?

Its been pretty crap ever since I had it frankly, and I am totally
underimpressed with its ability to actually wash dishes, but it does a
fair job on coffee cups.

Have a look in Yellow Pages and find an independent repairer who doesn't
charge for call-outs. I've had a few repairs to washing machines and have
only ever paid for parts & labour. I don't have a high opinion of Hotpoint
either - next time buy a Bosch.

Terry D.

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Situation., 18 month old Hotpoint BF72 dishwasher.
Won't do anything except cme up with Error code E8.

Hotpioint tell me that 'since I didn't take out extended warranty,
that's 89 quid for a bloke to call, plus parts, cos E8 isn't a user
fixable fault, and I can't tell you what it means'

I am assuming that there is a bit of software that says 'IF NOT extended
warranty and IF warranty period display E8 and stop working' :-)

And the bloke comes down and moves a DIP SWITCH or presses a combination
of buttons, and it all starts working again in 3 minutes :-)

What are my options here?

These peeps may help:

http://www.theservicecentre.co.uk/Se...rrorcodes.html

Sadly not. Its not mentoined anywhere on the net.

I guess I need someone with the service manual.

It starts to pump water out, and take water on successfully, then just
stops.

About 2 minutes intto the cycle,

Does anyone know what it means?

Its been pretty crap ever since I had it frankly, and I am totally
underimpressed with its ability to actually wash dishes, but it does a
fair job on coffee cups.

BillV

"ABC" wrote in message

Situation., 18 month old Hotpoint BF72 dishwasher.
Won't do anything except cme up with Error code E8.

Hotpoint tell me that 'since I didn't take out extended warranty,
that's 89 quid for a bloke to call, plus parts, cos E8 isn't a user
fixable fault, and I can't tell you what it means'

I am assuming that there is a bit of software that says 'IF NOT extended
warranty and IF warranty period display E8 and stop working' :-)

And the bloke comes down and moves a DIP SWITCH or presses a combination
of buttons, and it all starts working again in 3 minutes :-)

What are my options here?

Does anyone know what it means?

Its been pretty crap ever since I had it frankly, and I am totally
underimpressed with its ability to actually wash dishes, but it does a
fair job on coffee cups.

The machine should last more that 18 months without breaking down. See if
you can get them to fix it foc under the "Item should be of durable

quality"
part of the SOGA.

A friend of mine had a free fix after his Hotpoint washer motor failed after
2 years.
He had to have a "conversation" with the UK service manager first :-)

Andy Hall

wrote:

Situation., 18 month old Hotpoint BF72 dishwasher.
Won't do anything except cme up with Error code E8.

Hotpioint tell me that 'since I didn't take out extended warranty,
that's 89 quid for a bloke to call, plus parts, cos E8 isn't a user
fixable fault, and I can't tell you what it means'

I am assuming that there is a bit of software that says 'IF NOT extended
warranty and IF warranty period display E8 and stop working' :-)

And the bloke comes down and moves a DIP SWITCH or presses a combination
of buttons, and it all starts working again in 3 minutes :-)

What are my options here?

like the DVD player though was it? In which case visit Halfords
first and obtain 12" chrome wrench.

Seriously though, it looks like this is around £450-500. I wouldn't
accept a failure costing perhaps £150 to fix after 18 months.
The extended warranty is a con. If it was, say, £100, in effect it
means that the price is actually £550.

I would go back to the retailer and the credit card company and be
firm. They own the problem.......

Does anyone know what it means?

Its been pretty crap ever since I had it frankly, and I am totally
underimpressed with its ability to actually wash dishes, but it does a
fair job on coffee cups.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

[...]

Direct electrical online.

But first I need to identify what the problem IS.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 17:49:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

I would go back to the retailer and the credit card company and be
firm. They own the problem.......

Direct electrical online.

But first I need to identify what the problem IS.

Well, but do you?

The fault code is not in the manual, and the manufacturer's service
department has said that it is not customer fixable. Moreover, they
are not willing to help you diagnose it yourself.

From an engineer's standpoint, I'd be curious too, just in case it's
something silly like a sticky relay or a pea stuck in the level
switch.

It may well be that you could fix it if you could find the fault, but
the manufacturer doesn't want to play ball. Moreover, they want to
stick you for a fee to fix.

If the manufacturer were making things easier and offering help over
the phone it would be a different situation, but they are not.

ISTM, that the choice becomes one of accepting to pay for the fix or
falling back on statutory consumer protection.
As far as the retailer is concerned, the appliance is faulty in a way
that the customer is not expected to be able to fix after 18 months
use of a £450 dishwasher. I don't think that you need to help them
with their liability any more than that.

Of course they will try all the lines about responsibility with the
manufacturer, extended warranties and all that BS, If it had been a
£200 DW then maybe it would be reasonable to expect to have to pay for
fixes after a couple of years but not on a machine at this price
point.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Richard

Situation., 18 month old Hotpoint BF72 dishwasher.
Won't do anything except cme up with Error code E8.

Hotpioint tell me that 'since I didn't take out extended warranty,
that's 89 quid for a bloke to call, plus parts, cos E8 isn't a user
fixable fault, and I can't tell you what it means'

I am assuming that there is a bit of software that says 'IF NOT extended
warranty and IF warranty period display E8 and stop working' :-)

And the bloke comes down and moves a DIP SWITCH or presses a combination
of buttons, and it all starts working again in 3 minutes :-)

What are my options here?

Does anyone know what it means?

Its been pretty crap ever since I had it frankly, and I am totally
underimpressed with its ability to actually wash dishes, but it does a
fair job on coffee cups.

Take on board the fact that dishwashers are just about the most
environmentally un-friendly devices ever to be installed in kitchens. Scrap
it and explain to the,wife, mother, girlfriend,partner or whatever that the
Green thing to do is to wash up by hand and if pressed you would be willing
to supervise or on a good day even be prepared to dry or put away. As you
will have observed putting away is something that dishwashers are very bad
at, but blockages and flooding they take in their stride.

Richard.

Doctor D.

I agree totally with Andy. See
http://www.hants.gov.uk/regulatory/advice/buygood.html or
http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/callist.cgi for more advice.

18 months service then a bill for £85 is not acceptable.

---

BillV

"Richard" wrote in message

Situation., 18 month old Hotpoint BF72 dishwasher.
Won't do anything except came up with Error code E8.

Hotpoint tell me that 'since I didn't take out extended warranty,
that's 89 quid for a bloke to call, plus parts, cos E8 isn't a user
fixable fault, and I can't tell you what it means'

I am assuming that there is a bit of software that says 'IF NOT extended
warranty and IF warranty period display E8 and stop working' :-)

And the bloke comes down and moves a DIP SWITCH or presses a combination
of buttons, and it all starts working again in 3 minutes :-)

What are my options here?

Does anyone know what it means?

Its been pretty crap ever since I had it frankly, and I am totally
underimpressed with its ability to actually wash dishes, but it does a
fair job on coffee cups.

My 3 year old Neff does a very good job..

Take on board the fact that dishwashers are just about the most
environmentally un-friendly devices ever to be installed in kitchens.

Scrap
it

Is that really true? if so what is the evidence?
I used to think so but after washing by hand for a while I realised I was
using far more water that our newish DW does and of course it can stand a
much higher temp than my hands...

and explain to the,wife, mother, girlfriend,partner or whatever that the
Green thing to do is to wash up by hand and if pressed you would be

willing
to supervise or on a good day even be prepared to dry or put away.

Drying dishes with a cloth has been shown to be very unhygienic

As you will have observed putting away is something that dishwashers are

very bad
If your kitchen is laid out ergonomically like mine you can empty the DW in
5 mins.
at, but blockages and flooding they take in their stride.

Never happened to either of mine. Only pump motor burned out in old one
after 10 years

Andy Hall

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 18:51:31 +0000 (UTC), "Richard"

[...]

What complete nonsense.

If you take a look at the spec. of a good modern dishwasher like a
Miele, you will find it using about 12 litres of water and about 1kWh
of electricity.

It would be pretty difficult to wash up by hand to the same high
standard for these amounts.

Scrap
it and explain to the,wife, mother, girlfriend,partner or whatever that the
Green thing to do is to wash up by hand and if pressed you would be willing
to supervise or on a good day even be prepared to dry or put away. As you
will have observed putting away is something that dishwashers are very bad
at, but blockages and flooding they take in their stride.

You have the choice of putting away or using things directly from the
dishwasher.

Personally, I've never had flooding or blocking.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Lee

Richard wrote:

Take on board the fact that dishwashers are just about the most
environmentally un-friendly devices ever to be installed in kitchens.

We try to be green, but we're not giving up ours
Besides which, it uses less water and detergent than I (at least) would
use doing the same amount of washing up and there's no penalty for the
drying cycle because it uses the residual heat from the water to dry the
items.

As you will have observed putting away is something that dishwashers are very bad at,

Can't argue with that

but blockages and flooding they take in their stride.

Haven't had any of that errant behavior form our 3yr old Bosch....yet

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

Lurch

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:47:27 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
strung together this:

I guess I need someone with the service manual.

You'd be lucky, even we struggle getting those!

It starts to pump water out, and take water on successfully, then just
stops.
About 2 minutes intto the cycle,

I would check the wiring between the door and body, my first check
would have been make sure the drain pump is working. After that, it's
random testing time!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
The Natural Philosopher

Lurch wrote:
On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:47:27 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
strung together this:

I guess I need someone with the service manual.

You'd be lucky, even we struggle getting those!

It starts to pump water out, and take water on successfully, then just
stops.
About 2 minutes intto the cycle,

I would check the wiring between the door and body, my first check
would have been make sure the drain pump is working. After that, it's
random testing time!

Drain pump is working.

Wiring gone in under 18 months?

Lurch

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 08:26:06 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
strung together this:

Wiring gone in under 18 months?

Yep, see it happen all the time, every time you open the door you're
flexing the wiring bewtween the door and body. If you work out how
many times you ve opened and closed it in 18 months you wouldn't be
surprised that a conductor has frayed\snapped\broke\gone open circuit.
Quite a common fault really.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd

Bosch dishwasher problem Frisket UK diy 24 December 7th 14 08:51 PM
Zanussi Dishwasher problem phil UK diy 0 May 23rd 04 12:52 PM
Dishwasher Element Problem Chris UK diy 3 November 23rd 03 07:59 PM
Hotpoint Dishwasher Problem Jim Orchard UK diy 4 November 10th 03 10:12 PM
B0rked dishwasher Wooding UK diy 0 September 1st 03 08:14 AM