Andy Hall

Default Dishwasher service problem.

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 17:49:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

I would go back to the retailer and the credit card company and be
firm. They own the problem.......

Direct electrical online.

But first I need to identify what the problem IS.

Well, but do you?

The fault code is not in the manual, and the manufacturer's service
department has said that it is not customer fixable. Moreover, they
are not willing to help you diagnose it yourself.

From an engineer's standpoint, I'd be curious too, just in case it's
something silly like a sticky relay or a pea stuck in the level
switch.

It may well be that you could fix it if you could find the fault, but
the manufacturer doesn't want to play ball. Moreover, they want to
stick you for a fee to fix.

If the manufacturer were making things easier and offering help over
the phone it would be a different situation, but they are not.

ISTM, that the choice becomes one of accepting to pay for the fix or
falling back on statutory consumer protection.
As far as the retailer is concerned, the appliance is faulty in a way
that the customer is not expected to be able to fix after 18 months
use of a £450 dishwasher. I don't think that you need to help them
with their liability any more than that.

Of course they will try all the lines about responsibility with the
manufacturer, extended warranties and all that BS, If it had been a
£200 DW then maybe it would be reasonable to expect to have to pay for
fixes after a couple of years but not on a machine at this price
point.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl