Chris

Default Dishwasher Element Problem

Our Hoover Dishwasher got stuck in mid cycle last night. A quick diagnosis
revealed a hole blown in the element. I've removed the element but before I
spend out on a new one, does anyone think that the resultant short may have
damaged some other part of the machine (controller?). As the machine is
around eight years old I would hate to spend out around 30 quid on a new
element only to find I should have put it to towards a new machine instead!

I've put a voltmeter across the element wires & run the machine up, but I'm
not sure at what point the element should come on, also would there be a
voltage with no water in the machine?
Crooksie

hi there,
there will be no power on the wires until the machine calls for heat, ie
when the machine has water in there. best to just get a new element.
bob
"Chris" wrote in message
Our Hoover Dishwasher got stuck in mid cycle last night. A quick diagnosis
revealed a hole blown in the element. I've removed the element but before

spend out on a new one, does anyone think that the resultant short may

have
damaged some other part of the machine (controller?). As the machine is
around eight years old I would hate to spend out around 30 quid on a new
element only to find I should have put it to towards a new machine

instead!

I've put a voltmeter across the element wires & run the machine up, but

I'm
not sure at what point the element should come on, also would there be a
voltage with no water in the machine?

N. Thornton

Chris wrote in message . ..
Our Hoover Dishwasher got stuck in mid cycle last night. A quick diagnosis
revealed a hole blown in the element. I've removed the element but before I
spend out on a new one, does anyone think that the resultant short may have
damaged some other part of the machine (controller?). As the machine is
around eight years old I would hate to spend out around 30 quid on a new
element only to find I should have put it to towards a new machine instead!

I've put a voltmeter across the element wires & run the machine up, but I'm
not sure at what point the element should come on, also would there be a
voltage with no water in the machine?

Hi

If you know how to do it safely you can put a lightbulb on in lieu of
the element, and cycle the machine to see if its just the elephant
thats cooked.

I'd be happy to spend £30 on an 8 y/o machine, 8 years isnt that old,
and £30 isnt that much.

Regards, NT
Fraser

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...

If you know how to do it safely you can put a lightbulb on in lieu of
the element, and cycle the machine to see if its just the elephant
thats cooked.

Do the elements have water sensors to cut off the heater when the machine is
dry? If so, you might have the old fridge door light problem, as you can't
see the light when you need to (because the door is closed).

I'm thinking that the only time the element may get used is for the drying
of the dishes at the end of the cycle. Or, is the same one used to heat the
water as well? On mine, I'm not too sure, as the element is quite high up
and I'm not convinced that the water level goes that high.

F./

PS The solution to the fridge thing is simple...just drill an 8mm hole
through the door... ;-)

Hotpoint Dishwasher Problem Jim Orchard UK diy 4 November 10th 03 11:12 PM
Boiler Problem Gradually Getting Worse Frank Davis UK diy 1 October 23rd 03 11:00 PM
B0rked dishwasher Wooding UK diy 0 September 1st 03 09:14 AM
Dishwasher not spraying David Micklem UK diy 9 August 5th 03 07:39 PM
Electric trip problem. Dave Plowman UK diy 2 August 3rd 03 01:44 AM