Rob Nicholson

Default Mira Sport shower quirk

Dropped in to see my mum yesterday and she said the shower was playing up.
The symptoms are with dial #1 on hot (one step down from high) and dial #2
on 7 (of 9), the pump runs and the water gets hot. However, the temperature
varies noticeably and after running for say five minutes, the water goes
cold and the pressure drops. My mum has also said that it has stopped
completely a few times.

Diagnosis?

I assume a shower like this consists of a heater, a heat exchanger, a flow
control valve, a thermostat and a pump.

Cheers, Rob.

RedOnRed

"Rob Nicholson" wrote in message
Dropped in to see my mum yesterday and she said the shower was playing up.
The symptoms are with dial #1 on hot (one step down from high) and dial #2
on 7 (of 9), the pump runs and the water gets hot. However, the
temperature varies noticeably and after running for say five minutes, the
water goes cold and the pressure drops. My mum has also said that it has
stopped completely a few times.

Diagnosis?

I assume a shower like this consists of a heater, a heat exchanger, a flow
control valve, a thermostat and a pump.

Cheers, Rob.

How old is it?

We've had a couple of Mira Sports (last house and current one) and they've
both been very good. Neither have failed yet, although the current one at
times is now louder then normal.

Electric showers certainly don't last for ever. If the shower is quite old
and out of warranty then you may as well just buy another one in my book.
Ours was about £140.

Rob Nicholson

How old is it?

Not that old - I fitted it about five years ago.

and out of warranty then you may as well just buy another one in my book.
Ours was about £140.

Might end up doing that - just hope the inlet pipe are in the same place!

Rob.

Pete C

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 07:29:55 GMT, "Rob Nicholson"
wrote:

How old is it?

Not that old - I fitted it about five years ago.

and out of warranty then you may as well just buy another one in my book.
Ours was about £140.

Might end up doing that - just hope the inlet pipe are in the same place!

Hi,

As Mira are a 'premium' brand I should expect they'll have a well
staffed product support line who can help pinpoint the fault and
advise how to get it fixed.

It might just be that the inlet strainers or the thermostatic valve
are getting blocked by scale or debris and the pump overheats and cuts
out.

Or there is a blockage elsewhere in the hot water pipe and the pump
cuts out on under pressure.

cheers,
Pete.
RedOnRed

wrote:

How old is it?

Not that old - I fitted it about five years ago.

and out of warranty then you may as well just buy another one in my
book.
Ours was about £140.

Might end up doing that - just hope the inlet pipe are in the same place!

Hi,

As Mira are a 'premium' brand I should expect they'll have a well
staffed product support line who can help pinpoint the fault and
advise how to get it fixed.

It might just be that the inlet strainers or the thermostatic valve
are getting blocked by scale or debris and the pump overheats and cuts
out.

Or there is a blockage elsewhere in the hot water pipe and the pump
cuts out on under pressure.

cheers,
Pete.

The problem is that any electric shower manufacturer will advise that under
no circumstances should anyone other then a properly qualified service
engineer open one up.

That's when the cost effectiveness of a repair over a replacement will then
come into question.

Simon Stroud

wrote:

[...]

.... and if it's anything like my long-ago-ripped-out Triton T200RE (the
Worst Product I Have Ever Bought) the plastic will all start crumbling away
making replacing bits of it impossible. After several repairs I ended up
having to fork out for a whole replacement main unit as they didn't make the
"back panel" available as a separate part and that was the main bit that had
crumbled away. Seemed to be made of the kind of plastic that cracks up after
a couple of years of mild heat!

Anyway it's long gone now (removed and smashed to pieces) and replaced with
two showers running off my big combi. Far better.

BTW did I mention that the Triton was the Worst Product I Have Ever Bought?

Regards,
Simon.

RedOnRed

[...]

Interesting to hear your bad experiences with a Triton.

All I know is that my Mira Sport was about £140 and if and when it starts
playing up i'll just get a new one. After all, it is about 4 years old.

One thing i've noticed is that none of the plumbers round my way would
consider fitting an electric shower due to seeing them being too troublesome
and awkard to fit. Not worth the aggro I suppose.

Rob Nicholson

All I know is that my Mira Sport was about £140 and if and when it starts
playing up i'll just get a new one. After all, it is about 4 years old.

Ended up getting a replacement 7.5kW one from eBay at an excellent price of
£77 plus £9 delivery. Fitted it last week and it wasn't quite a
like-for-like replacement although both Mira Sport showers:

o Pipe fitting was in different place - fortunately just needed pipe
reducing in length
o Power connector block higher up in shower which meant I had to extend the
30A cable (that stuff is hard to bend)
o Screw fittings in completely different places so had to drill new holes in
tiles (had new tile bits handy)

Ho hum, nothing is ever easy...

On a related but separate topic, I bought a mini-pipe cutter from B&Q in
Sheffield as the one I had was too big to the cut existing pipe in place.
These things are badly designed. It's natural to grip it between thumb and
finger as you rotate it around the pipe. Unfortunately, the pipe cutter
wheel is a fraction of a millimetre proud of the surrounding metalwork. A
fraction of a millimetre proud to slice one's thumb quite neatly...

Rob.

Ungumming a Mira shower Andy Mabbett UK diy 6 July 29th 04 07:37 PM
Mira Shower Query Rakster UK diy 1 May 26th 04 02:05 PM
Mira 415 shower mixer unit or any Mira shower mixer unit Mr Blue Skye UK diy 7 January 19th 04 08:36 PM
Mira Shower Problems dave cunningham UK diy 2 January 9th 04 05:23 PM
Mira electric shower won't stop David UK diy 1 December 31st 03 12:43 AM