Tim Smith

Default breaking concrete - SDS drill ?

Hi

I was reading with interest the thread about cheap SDS drills.

I spent several hours last weekend trying to chip away at a concrete footing
for a fence post with a hammer and cold chisel I decided that I fancy a new
toy.

Given that I usually buy tools at the cheaper end of the range am I
realistic in thinking that some form of SDS drill (with rotary stop I guess)
would assist me in finishing this job or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Thanks

Tim

Christian McArdle

Given that I usually buy tools at the cheaper end of the range am I
realistic in thinking that some form of SDS drill (with rotary stop I

guess)
would assist me in finishing this job or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Forget a cheap SDS drill for breaking concrete. Either hire a proper
demolition hammer, or (more realistically for such a small job) use a large
sledge hammer.

Christian.

mrcheerful

"Tim Smith" wrote in message
Hi

I was reading with interest the thread about cheap SDS drills.

I spent several hours last weekend trying to chip away at a concrete
footing
for a fence post with a hammer and cold chisel I decided that I fancy a
new
toy.

Given that I usually buy tools at the cheaper end of the range am I
realistic in thinking that some form of SDS drill (with rotary stop I
guess)
would assist me in finishing this job or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Thanks

Tim

might be a bit weak unless you spend a lot. I wouldn't usually use an sds
drill like a concrete breaker, odd bricks yes., but I have found that using
an sds drill to actually drill a few holes through concrete makes it break
up very easily, you can then use a point either in a roto stop sds or just
with a hammer to break it up

Tim Smith

I tried a sledge hammer but unforteunatly the concrete is buried in the
ground (obviously ) and it surrounded by bushes and a tarmac'd drive. There
doesnt really seem to be enough room to get a sledge hammer in there.

Tim

. net...

?

Forget a cheap SDS drill for breaking concrete. Either hire a proper
demolition hammer, or (more realistically for such a small job) use a

large
sledge hammer.

Christian.

Stuart Noble

Given that I usually buy tools at the cheaper end of the range am I
realistic in thinking that some form of SDS drill (with rotary stop I
guess)
would assist me in finishing this job or am I barking up the wrong tree

?
Try getting a large wrecking bar under the edge. If the concrete's under
say
4", you can often lift whole sections sufficiently to whack it with a
hammer. Once you have any sort of gap under it, it breaks easily.

Tim Smith

Thanks Stuart,

I suspect there may well be a couple of foot of concrete which will probably
make it hard to remove in one section !

Thanks

Tim

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message

Given that I usually buy tools at the cheaper end of the range am I
realistic in thinking that some form of SDS drill (with rotary stop I
guess)
would assist me in finishing this job or am I barking up the wrong tree

?
Try getting a large wrecking bar under the edge. If the concrete's under
say
4", you can often lift whole sections sufficiently to whack it with a
hammer. Once you have any sort of gap under it, it breaks easily.

Magician

Hi Tim

If it's only one fence post footing I'd go for the cheap SDS.

Drill a few holes to weaken it then use the point chisel to open up the
holes into cracks.

Dave

Andrew McKay

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:30:46 -0000, "Tim Smith"
wrote:

I was reading with interest the thread about cheap SDS drills.

As others have contributed, a cheap SDS is unlikely to give you much
pleasure in this environment.

Depending upon the size of the concrete slab another possible option
would be to dig underneath if you can, then light a fire beneath.
That's how the attackers brought down castles in the good old days
before Black Adder I took place.....

Stand well back or shield with netting though - the concrete could
explode and spit a bit.

Andrew

Mark S.

wrote:

Hi

I was reading with interest the thread about cheap SDS drills.

I spent several hours last weekend trying to chip away at a concrete footing
for a fence post with a hammer and cold chisel I decided that I fancy a new
toy.

Given that I usually buy tools at the cheaper end of the range am I
realistic in thinking that some form of SDS drill (with rotary stop I guess)
would assist me in finishing this job or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Thanks

Tim

Won't work, been there done that... ;-) and that was with a Bosch
then a Dewalt SDS neither are big enough for that sort of job.

Lump hammer and a chisel with plastic hand guard is your best bet,
just keep bashing away at it and it'll break up/split eventually.

Mark S.

Ash

"Tim Smith" wrote in message
Hi

I was reading with interest the thread about cheap SDS drills.

I spent several hours last weekend trying to chip away at a concrete
footing
for a fence post with a hammer and cold chisel I decided that I fancy a
new
toy.

Given that I usually buy tools at the cheaper end of the range am I
realistic in thinking that some form of SDS drill (with rotary stop I
guess)
would assist me in finishing this job or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Thanks

Tim

A few months back when I needed to drill about 20 holes into a concrete slab
for some expanding bolts, I bought an SDS drill from screwfix for £30.00 and
a set of bits for about £15.00. It may have been a bit cheaper to hire the
drill, but at the end of the job I get to keep the one I bought. It did make
very light work of the whole job and would have been so much easier than
using an ordinary drill.

Ash

Mike

"Tim Smith" wrote in message
I spent several hours last weekend trying to chip away at a concrete
footing
for a fence post with a hammer and cold chisel I decided that I fancy a
new toy.

Given that I usually buy tools at the cheaper end of the range am I
realistic in thinking that some form of SDS drill (with rotary stop I
guess)
would assist me in finishing this job or am I barking up the wrong tree

?

Thanks
Tim

One of the cheap 5kg ones should manage it. Don't buy anything lighter as
it will overheat.
I have one of the B&Q ones for demolition work to save wear and tear on my
DeWalt which I keep for 'constructive' work and it's been okay for this sort
of work.

Tim Smith

Thanks for all the replies. There seems to be a two different opinions which
is interesting.

I would have been tempted to try and keep breaking away at it with a chisel
and hammer but unfortunately I cant even see how big it is, so this is
somewhat disheartening.

I think I might hire a Kango breaker.....

Thanks

Tim

"Mike" wrote in message

"Tim Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Doctor Evil

"Tim Smith" wrote in message
Hi

I was reading with interest the thread about cheap SDS drills.

I spent several hours last weekend trying to chip away at a concrete

footing
for a fence post with a hammer and cold chisel I decided that I fancy a

new
toy.

Given that I usually buy tools at the cheaper end of the range am I
realistic in thinking that some form of SDS drill (with rotary stop I

guess)
would assist me in finishing this job or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Once you have used an SDS you will not go back. Wickes are having a sale
and are selling at the mo' a 610w for £80 down for £110 and a 700w for £110
down from £150 (I have this model). Made by Kress in Germany and rebadged
for Wickes. The £80 job is well worth it.

These are equiv to any Makita, DeWalt etc, are pro tools with a 3 yr
guarantee and been around for 10 years plus. Very well made and sturdy.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Magician

Hi Dave
This sounds like sometihing I could do with myself... I *may* have the
pleasure
of digging a copper water pipe out of a concrete floor - would an SDS
be the
demon tool I could use for that? If you can spare a mo' - tell an
ignorant one
(me) what this SDS thing is! where's that fireproof suit :-)

Dave
This sounds like something I could do with myself... I *may* have the
pleasure
of digging a copper water pipe out of a concrete floor - would an SDS
be the
demon tool I could use for that? If you can spare a mo' - tell an
ignorant one
(me) what this SDS thing is! Where's that fireproof suit :-)

SDS stands for the initial letters (in German) Insert, Twist, Lock or
something similar. The upshot is that an SDS drill bit in an SDS chuck
is able to move back and forth and spin at the same time.

The spin bit is from a highly geared motor, the back & forth bit from a
pneumatic hammer, the combination of both drills concrete etc like you
wouldn't believe.

Nice bit is, you can have hammer, drill and hammer, or just drill.

So, removing your pipe; drill series of holes with contemptuous ease,
use a chisel to break away remainder.

Dave

Chris Bacon

Andrew McKay wrote:
As others have contributed, a cheap SDS is unlikely to give you much
pleasure in this environment.

My £25 drill seems to deliver over twice the impact of others mentioned,
so whyever not?

Depending upon the size of the concrete slab another possible option
would be to dig underneath if you can, then light a fire beneath.
That's how the attackers brought down castles in the good old days
before Black Adder I took place.....

Well, if we're into daft suggestions, dig around the block, fill the
hole back up with ppuddling clay, pour in a bucket of brick acid,
repeat as necessary. Alternatively just wait until erosion has
taken care of the job.
Jim Alexander

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

. Wickes are having a sale
and are selling at the mo' a 610w for £80 down for £110 and a 700w for
£110
down from £150 (I have this model). Made by Kress in Germany and rebadged
for Wickes.

Thanks for the tip-off. Sorted.

Jim A