Default Central Heating Systems

I'm looking to buy a house but am confused about the heating system.
Wondering if anyone can help?!

This house does not have a conventional water tank and boiler. It has a
new boiler unit in the understairs cupboard, and no water tank. All hot
water is provided "on demand".

If I wanted to install a conventional water tank and boiler system any
idea how much this would cost? Is this a smart idea?

Any comments appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking to buy a house but am confused about the heating system.
Wondering if anyone can help?!

This house does not have a conventional water tank and boiler. It has a
new boiler unit in the understairs cupboard, and no water tank. All hot
water is provided "on demand".

If I wanted to install a conventional water tank and boiler system any
idea how much this would cost? Is this a smart idea?

Why would you want to?

We got rid of our cylinder twenty odd years ago and wouldn't go back -
unless we go to solar water heating.

Instant, constant hot water is a joy compared with that from a storage tank.

Mary

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
If I wanted to install a conventional water tank and boiler system any
idea how much this would cost? Is this a smart idea?

Why would you want to?

Perhaps the family likes baths?

We got rid of our cylinder twenty odd years ago and wouldn't go back -
unless we go to solar water heating.

Instant, constant hot water is a joy compared with that from a storage
tank.

You get constant hot water from a decent storage tank - a fast recovery
one - with the added bonus of high flow to fill a bath quickly. In the
average house, it's very unlikely a combi can match the flow rate of a
storage system.

--
*My designated driver drove me to drink

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
If I wanted to install a conventional water tank and boiler system any
idea how much this would cost? Is this a smart idea?

Why would you want to?

Perhaps the family likes baths?

We got rid of our cylinder twenty odd
years ago and wouldn't go back -
unless we go to solar water heating.

Instant, constant hot water is a joy
compared with that from a storage
tank.

....sigh....oh he is at it again.....more inane ramblings...he says....

You get constant hot water from a decent
storage tank - a fast recovery one

You don't. The cylinder will run of of hot water, quick recovery one or
not. He should stick to DIYing cabers.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Andy pandy

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:34:23 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Instant, constant hot water is a joy compared with that from a storage tank.

I think its also cheaper! as you heat what you use!

Andy

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
Instant, constant hot water is a joy
compared with that from a storage
tank.

...sigh....oh he is at it again.....more inane ramblings...he says....

You get constant hot water from a decent
storage tank - a fast recovery one

Our resident clown, just back from the pub, postulates thus...

You don't. The cylinder will run of of hot water, quick recovery one or
not. He should stick to DIYing cabers.

Now anyone claiming to be an expert would want to know the size of the
storage cylinder, the input to it and the demand on it.

Not so our resident 'one solution suits all' village idiot.

--
*Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Hall

wrote:

Instant, constant hot water is a joy compared with that from a storage tank.

I think its also cheaper! as you heat what you use!

Andy

Nope. Bogus argument. A modern, properly insulated cylinder has
minimal heat loss.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

"Andy pandy" wrote in message

Instant, constant hot water is a joy compared with that from a storage
tank.

I think its also cheaper! as you heat what you use!

I agree, the only heat loss is from the pipes.

We have a mini instant hot water system in one of our caravans.

Mary

Andy

Pete C

wrote:

Instant, constant hot water is a joy compared with that from a storage tank.

I think its also cheaper! as you heat what you use!

Andy

Nope. Bogus argument. A modern, properly insulated cylinder has
minimal heat loss.

Hi,

How many W/hr does it take to keep a cylinder like that hot?

cheers,
Pete.
fred

In article .com
, writes
I'm looking to buy a house but am confused about the heating system.
Wondering if anyone can help?!

This house does not have a conventional water tank and boiler. It has a
new boiler unit in the understairs cupboard, and no water tank. All hot
water is provided "on demand".

If I wanted to install a conventional water tank and boiler system any
idea how much this would cost? Is this a smart idea?

Any comments appreciated!

Big mistake saying that, then you just get self serving opinions about why
you would or would not want to do such a stupid thing ;-)

The name for the boiler you have is a combi and, should you chose, I think
it likely that you could modify your system to stored hot water without
replacing the boiler; it is after all a very expensive component. To do this
you would add an extra zone to your heating circuit that could be enabled
to come on separately and this would feed the heating coil of an indirect
heated hot water cylinder. For lowest cost the cylinder could be fed with
cold water from a tank in the loft or elsewhere.

This is of course a simplistic description, just to suggest it can be done,
you would need valves, controls and thermostats to complete the picture.

I am thinking that the hot water output from the combi could be capped
and no longer used but to be certain that this would not upset the
operation of the boiler I think you would need to check with the
manufacturer.

Estimated cost:
Cylinder £120
Valves £70
Controls & pipework £50
Labour (1day) £200
Total: £440
--
fred

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
fred wrote:
I am thinking that the hot water output from the combi could be capped
and no longer used but to be certain that this would not upset the
operation of the boiler I think you would need to check with the
manufacturer.

There's no reason why you shouldn't alter the hot water pipe work so the
combi still feeds the kitchen tap. The flow rate for that is likely to be
adequate.

It's filling a bath - or providing a high flow shower - that lets down
most small combis.

--
*Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Tony Bryer

In article , Fred wrote:
I am thinking that the hot water output from the combi could be capped
and no longer used but to be certain that this would not upset the
operation of the boiler I think you would need to check with the
manufacturer.

Keep it for the shower, where mains pressure is worth having

Ed Sirett

wrote:

Instant, constant hot water is a joy compared with that from a storage tank.

I think its also cheaper! as you heat what you use!

Andy

Nope. Bogus argument. A modern, properly insulated cylinder has
minimal heat loss.

You could describe the storage systems as 'you use what you heated'.
As always with these type of questions there are compromises, trade-offs
etc. between the different approaches. Usage patterns can alter the
choice a lot.

I reckon that the energy 'loss' of a _modern_ storage system is probably
around £25/year. However for 1/2 of the year that £25 is not really
lost and in many circumstances it is useful in summer.

On the other hand, hot standby combis might get through £?? extra gas in
a year.

Yet again non-hot-standby combis might cause your water bill to go up by
£?? /year, or not depending on the tariff.

Mary Fisher

news

wrote:

Instant, constant hot water is a joy compared with that from a storage
tank.

I think its also cheaper! as you heat what you use!

Andy

Nope. Bogus argument. A modern, properly insulated cylinder has
minimal heat loss.

You could describe the storage systems as 'you use what you heated'.
As always with these type of questions there are compromises, trade-offs
etc. between the different approaches. Usage patterns can alter the
choice a lot.

Indeed. We have such an irregular pattern of being at home that a storage
system would be very unsuitable. If someone has the same pattern of life and
usge (= boring!) a VERY EFFICIENT storage system could be satisfactory.

For us the instant/constant hot water system is a joy.

Mary

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bryer
In article , Fred wrote:
I am thinking that the hot water output from the combi could be capped
and no longer used but to be certain that this would not upset the
operation of the boiler I think you would need to check with the
manufacturer.

Keep it for the shower, where mains pressure is worth having

I'd be totally happy with a thermostatic shower from even a 23 kw combi. I don't understand the people who want more. Only the other day a guy I fitted a huge unvented systen for, including new 25mm water supply, (that shower would hose you out of the bathroom) now he's complaining how much water he uses every time he uses the shower.

This shows there is a rediculous point beyond which sensible people should not tread. The search for better showers is a bit like the hifi bug, we spend a lot more money for a little gain.

Andy Hall

wrote:

Instant, constant hot water is a joy compared with that from a storage tank.

I think its also cheaper! as you heat what you use!

Andy

Nope. Bogus argument. A modern, properly insulated cylinder has
minimal heat loss.

Hi,

How many W/hr does it take to keep a cylinder like that hot?

cheers,
Pete.

Very few indeed. If you look up the U value of the insulation, the
surface area and the temperature difference, you can calculate it.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

In article , Paul Barker
writes

Tony Bryer Wrote:
In article , Fred wrote:-
I am thinking that the hot water output from the combi could be
capped
and no longer used but to be certain that this would not upset the
operation of the boiler I think you would need to check with the
manufacturer.-

Keep it for the shower, where mains pressure is worth having

I'd be totally happy with a thermostatic shower from even a 23 kw
combi. I don't understand the people who want more. Only the other day
a guy I fitted a huge unvented systen for, including new 25mm water
supply, (that shower would hose you out of the bathroom) now he's
complaining how much water he uses every time he uses the shower.

You're starting to sound like IMM, stating an opinion and then trundling
out a "just the other day" story to support it

This shows there is a rediculous point beyond which sensible people
should not tread. The search for better showers is a bit like the hifi
bug, we spend a lot more money for a little gain.

Some people are satisfied with mediocre performance, some are not, folk
that want top end stuff probably have trouble understanding how you
could be satisfied with anything less

Just a thought...
--
David
Pete C

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 00:27:23 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

Hi,

How many W/hr does it take to keep a cylinder like that hot?

cheers,
Pete.

Very few indeed. If you look up the U value of the insulation, the
surface area and the temperature difference, you can calculate it.

Hi,

Would be interested to know how much gas is used to keep the cylinder
hot, should be easy to measure over a day or two when out by switching
the CH off and leaving the DHW to idle.

I'd expect the loss though the cylinder insulation is fairly minimal,
a few watts at most.

cheers,
Pete.
fred

In article , Pete C
writes
wrote:

Hi,

How many W/hr does it take to keep a cylinder like that hot?

cheers,
Pete.

Very few indeed. If you look up the U value of the insulation, the
surface area and the temperature difference, you can calculate it.

Hi,

Would be interested to know how much gas is used to keep the cylinder
hot, should be easy to measure over a day or two when out by switching
the CH off and leaving the DHW to idle.

I'd expect the loss though the cylinder insulation is fairly minimal,
a few watts at most.

At the risk of adding yet another post that has nothing to do with the OPs
original question, my cylinder has it on the label:

Range, Grade 1, Double Lagged, Part L compliant
1500x450 (206litres)
Maximum loss per 24hrs 3.16kWhr

Be aware that this is a larger than average cylinder and that the max loss
will prob be specified for a high hot water temp and a low ambient.
--
fred
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Paul Barker wrote:
I'd be totally happy with a thermostatic shower from even a 23 kw
combi.

Some are happy with a 7.5 kW electric. That's up to them.

I don't understand the people who want more. Only the other day
a guy I fitted a huge unvented systen for, including new 25mm water
supply, (that shower would hose you out of the bathroom) now he's
complaining how much water he uses every time he uses the shower.

I assume you mean 22mm?

Perhaps you should point out to your pal that it doesn't *have* to be used
on full. And in what way is he complaining about how much water it's using?
I've got exactly that - an Aqualisa fed from 22m. With perhaps 12 ft of
head. And it's just great. It washes you clean.

This shows there is a rediculous point beyond which sensible people
should not tread. The search for better showers is a bit like the hifi
bug, we spend a lot more money for a little gain.

In the case of esoteric Hi-Fi it can be difficult to measure the
differences which therefore become subjective. The difference between
having a shower that gives you both the flow and temperature you want -
regardless of the temperature outside and therefore that of the water it
has to heat is clearly measurable and worth it.

--
*Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:56:59 +0000, fred wrote:

In article , Pete C
writes
wrote:

At the risk of adding yet another post that has nothing to do with the OPs
original question, my cylinder has it on the label:

Range, Grade 1, Double Lagged, Part L compliant
1500x450 (206litres)
Maximum loss per 24hrs 3.16kWhr

So that makes a maximum heat leakage of 3160/24 = 132W
However that would likely be on a temperture difference of (say) 70C
versus a plausible difference of (say) 40C.
Also the size for the cylinder might account for (say) 40% more than a
1050x450 cylinder.

I allowed 100W in the back of my mind when making the earlier posts.
Seems I was probably a bit generous.

Ed Sirett

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:11:26 +0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

news

wrote:

Instant, constant hot water is a joy compared with that from a storage
tank.

I think its also cheaper! as you heat what you use!

Andy

Nope. Bogus argument. A modern, properly insulated cylinder has
minimal heat loss.

You could describe the storage systems as 'you use what you heated'.
As always with these type of questions there are compromises, trade-offs
etc. between the different approaches. Usage patterns can alter the
choice a lot.

Indeed. We have such an irregular pattern of being at home that a storage
system would be very unsuitable. If someone has the same pattern of life and
usge (= boring!) a VERY EFFICIENT storage system could be satisfactory.

For us the instant/constant hot water system is a joy.

Which illustrates what I was saying that usage patterns and requirements
are very significant.

fred

In article .uk,
Ed Sirett writes

wrote:

At the risk of adding yet another post that has nothing to do with the OPs
original question, my cylinder has it on the label:

Range, Grade 1, Double Lagged, Part L compliant
1500x450 (206litres)
Maximum loss per 24hrs 3.16kWhr

So that makes a maximum heat leakage of 3160/24 = 132W
However that would likely be on a temperture difference of (say) 70C
versus a plausible difference of (say) 40C.
Also the size for the cylinder might account for (say) 40% more than a
1050x450 cylinder.

I allowed 100W in the back of my mind when making the earlier posts.
Seems I was probably a bit generous.

Yeah, I wouldn't be happy leaving a 150W light bulb on 24/7, but with gas
it's 5p a day so not at the level I'd worry about.
--
fred
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:52:50 +0000, Dave wrote:

In article , Paul Barker
writes

I'd be totally happy with a thermostatic shower from even a 23 kw
combi. I don't understand the people who want more. Only the other day
a guy I fitted a huge unvented systen for, including new 25mm water
supply, (that shower would hose you out of the bathroom) now he's
complaining how much water he uses every time he uses the shower.

You're starting to sound like IMM, stating an opinion and then trundling
out a "just the other day" story to support it

I don't think this is the case, IMHO.
ISTM that Paul argues for his opinion [1] , when someone disagrees with
him I have yet to see a reply along the lines of:
..... snip drivel
You are an ignorant amateur.

IMHO it is not principally the initial content of IMM's posts that are
especially objectionable. IMHO the problems a

1) The suggestions are put forward in absolute terms, there is usually no
hint that it is one approach from many, that has _some_ validity in _some_
situations.

2) When debate is encountered he tries to defend the initial matter
in increasingly strident terms. If he offered either more coherent
debate and/or 'cut some slack' for other posters opinions less antagonism
would occur. Indeed he might gain support for _some_ of his suggestions as
people would not find themselves having to support the indefensible.

3) When attempts at reasoned debate expire the posts descend to personal
attacks on the other posters.

[1] Which in this matter I agree, but that is beside the point.

In article .uk, Ed
Sirett writes
[...]

Yes, nobody could argue quite as badly as IMM, it is just the "I know
somebody who..." bit I was referring to.

FWIW I love big showers, nothing feels as luxuriant as a full on
drenching IMO
--
David

Doctor Evil

wrote in message
In article , Paul Barker
writes

Tony Bryer Wrote:
In article , Fred wrote:-
I am thinking that the hot water output from the combi could be
capped
and no longer used but to be certain that this would not upset the
operation of the boiler I think you would need to check with the
manufacturer.-

Keep it for the shower, where mains pressure is worth having

I'd be totally happy with a thermostatic shower from even a 23 kw
combi. I don't understand the people who want more. Only the other day
a guy I fitted a huge unvented systen for, including new 25mm water
supply, (that shower would hose you out of the bathroom) now he's
complaining how much water he uses every time he uses the shower.

You're starting to sound like IMM, stating an opinion and then trundling
out a "just the other day" story to support it

Bertie, he's a pro and would have an opinion and stories to to talk about.
Duh!

This shows there is a rediculous point beyond which sensible people
should not tread. The search for better showers is a bit like the hifi
bug, we spend a lot more money for a little gain.

Some people are satisfied with
mediocre performance, some are not,

He has explained performance.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Doctor Evil

wrote:

Hi,

How many W/hr does it take to keep a cylinder like that hot?

cheers,
Pete.

Very few indeed. If you look up the U value of the insulation, the
surface area and the temperature difference, you can calculate it.

Hi,

Would be interested to know how much gas is used to keep the cylinder
hot, should be easy to measure over a day or two when out by switching
the CH off and leaving the DHW to idle.

I'd expect the loss though the cylinder insulation is fairly minimal,
a few watts at most.

Depends on who makes the cylinder. Gledhill do them insulated underneath in
square cases. Very well insulated. Others are not insulated underneath.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Mary Fisher

wrote in message

FWIW I love big showers, nothing feels as luxuriant as a full on
drenching IMO

You've led a sheltered life :-)

Mary
--
David

Doctor Evil

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:52:50 +0000, Dave wrote:

In article , Paul Barker
writes

I'd be totally happy with a thermostatic shower from even a 23 kw
combi. I don't understand the people who want more. Only the other day
a guy I fitted a huge unvented systen for, including new 25mm water
supply, (that shower would hose you out of the bathroom) now he's
complaining how much water he uses every time he uses the shower.

You're starting to sound like IMM, stating an opinion and then trundling
out a "just the other day" story to support it

I don't think this is the case, IMHO.
ISTM that Paul argues for his opinion [1] , when someone disagrees with
him I have yet to see a reply along the lines of:
.... snip drivel
You are an ignorant amateur.

Some amateurs need to be told, and in no uncertain terms. You should read
what the know-it-alls think. A quick recovery coil cylinder can be
downsized. This is common knowledge, yet the know-it-alls get out their
school physics books and say it doesn't. No experience whatsoever, but boy
they know-it-all. I directed them to the Albion web site, who had a
downsizing chart at the time. They knew more than Albion of course. Even
Gledhill say the same.

"CondenCyl HE 's high efficiency coil and its ability to heat only the water
you require means that a smaller capacity cylinder can be used. For example,
a typical 120 litre cylinder to meet Part L requirements would reduce to 75
litres using a CondenCyl HE."
http://www.gledhill.net/building-pr...x/condencyl.htm

A maker would never give info that would put them in a poor light. If a
downsized cylinder did not perform they would loose business and image. If
anything they oversize.

The know-it-alls thread:
http://tinyurl.com/64zql

On one thread one man was limited to space, the know-it-all arseholes
convinced him to go 120 litre when even a 45 litre quick recovery would have
done it. Unbelievable. That is the problem with this medium, the OPs don't
know who is genuine.

If they want to talk amongst themselves that fine, but when someone comes in
for real advise they should just mind their business. Their advice is not
wanted, pure misinformation.

snip drivel

3) When attempts at reasoned debate
expire the posts descend to personal
attacks on the other posters.

You can't have reasoned debates with idiots. Look at the likes of Plowman
et al; pure trolls. Brainless, experienceless.

An fro you information, when I give an opinion, you had batter take it
seriously.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Doctor Evil

wrote in message

FWIW I love big showers, nothing feels as luxuriant as a full on
drenching IMO

You need one that consumes 400 litres a shower and a water meter. You do.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil wrote:
Instant, constant hot water is a joy
compared with that from a storage
tank.

...sigh....oh he is at it again.....more inane ramblings...he says....

You get constant hot water from a decent
storage tank - a fast recovery one

........so I had to snip it all nice people. This is for your own good as you
would not want to waste time reading such inane babble.....

........DIY caber making is very different to doing real things...sigh

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Andy Hall

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:01:45 -0000, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

An fro you information, when I give an opinion, you had batter take it
seriously.

... and not fish around presumably?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
John Burns-Curtis,
alias Adam,
alias IMM,
alias "Doctor Evil" writes:

You can't have reasoned debates with idiots.

I don't recall that I have ever seen a posting of yours in
which you demonstrated any understanding of reasoned debate
whatsoever.

An fro you information, when I give an opinion, you had batter take it
seriously.

;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Doctor Evil

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
Mary Fisher wrote:

Instant, constant hot water is a joy compared with that from a storage

tank.

Well it would be, if one happens to be a dirty Brit who doesn't like
showers. OTOH combis can't provide a decent shower.

......another madman...Duh!

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Doctor Evil

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
John Burns-Curtis,
alias Elvis Presley,
alias Adam,
alais John Lennon,
alias IMM,
alias Icky the Firebobby,
alias David Ike,
alias MiniMe,
alias Bernado Guey
alais "Doctor Evil" writes:

You can't have reasoned debates with idiots.

I don't recall that I

snip more drivel

...........I have to do this good people as you don't need to be exposed to
stupidity.....

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Mike

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
You can't have reasoned debates with idiots. Look at the likes of Plowman
et al; pure trolls. Brainless, experienceless.

An fro you information, when I give an opinion, you had batter take it
seriously.

Not bad. Only four spelling mistakes in a sentence.

Or is it just three and we are supposed to seriously batter you ? Please
say it's so.

raden

In message , Steve Firth
writes
Mary Fisher wrote:

Instant, constant hot water is a joy compared with that from a storage tank.

Well it would be, if one happens to be a dirty Brit who doesn't like
showers. OTOH combis can't provide a decent shower.

Mine does

--
geoff
raden

In message , Steve Firth
writes
raden wrote:

In message , Steve Firth
writes
Mary Fisher wrote:

Instant, constant hot water is a joy compared with that from a
storage tank.

Well it would be, if one happens to be a dirty Brit who doesn't like
showers. OTOH combis can't provide a decent shower.

Mine does

I doubt it, most brits think that two cats spitting at them is a decent
shower.

Steve - I'm not totally unknowledgeable when it comes to boilers etc ...

as I said, mine does

What you do with animals behind closed doors is your concern (as long as
the RSPCA aren't interested, and you go through a proper ceremony)

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

Instant, constant hot water is a joy compared with that from a storage
tank.

Well it would be, if one happens to be a dirty Brit who doesn't like
showers. OTOH combis can't provide a decent shower.

Thus speaks a man who only thinks in terms of his own gratification in
showering. There are other uses for hot water ...

Mary