RzB

Default Removal of Moss on roof - Lichenite

Has anyone had experience of a product called Lichenite...

http://www.mgcltd.co.uk/Neila.html

I'm considering giving it a try...
Thanks,
Roy

Andrew Mawson

"RzB" wrote in message
Has anyone had experience of a product called Lichenite...

http://www.mgcltd.co.uk/Neila.html

I'm considering giving it a try...
Thanks,
Roy

All you need is a length of bare copper wire strung along the ridge of
the roof. The copper salts leached out of the wire by the rain dribble
down the roof and kill the moss and lichens which dry out and fall off
over time.

Sure fire and cheap solution if you have a head for heights

AWEM

Ian_m

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"RzB" wrote in message
Has anyone had experience of a product called Lichenite...

http://www.mgcltd.co.uk/Neila.html

I'm considering giving it a try...
Thanks,
Roy

All you need is a length of bare copper wire strung along the ridge of
the roof. The copper salts leached out of the wire by the rain dribble
down the roof and kill the moss and lichens which dry out and fall off
over time.

But in my experience only the tiles near the wire stay free, moss just
returns on the rest of the tiles. A good brush down every couple of years is
a better solution.

Andrew Mawson

"Ian_m" wrote in message
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in

message

"RzB" wrote in message
Has anyone had experience of a product called Lichenite...

http://www.mgcltd.co.uk/Neila.html

I'm considering giving it a try...
Thanks,
Roy

All you need is a length of bare copper wire strung along the

ridge of
the roof. The copper salts leached out of the wire by the rain

dribble
down the roof and kill the moss and lichens which dry out and fall

off
over time.

But in my experience only the tiles near the wire stay free, moss

just
returns on the rest of the tiles. A good brush down every couple of

years is
a better solution.

Then put more wires up !

AWEM

RzB

Andrew/Ian,

Many thanks for your responses.

I was also sort of considering the copper thing...

http://www.copperridge.co.uk/frameset.htm

and have just seen a house down the road
with a VERY clean roof... and a sign outside..

http://www.rooftecukltd.co.uk/

This is obviously not DIY - but my wife will
no longer let me get up on the roof :-)
Can't say I'm that keen anyway..

Hmmm...
Roy

doozer

RzB wrote:
Andrew/Ian,

Many thanks for your responses.

I was also sort of considering the copper thing...

http://www.copperridge.co.uk/frameset.htm

and have just seen a house down the road
with a VERY clean roof... and a sign outside..

http://www.rooftecukltd.co.uk/

This is obviously not DIY - but my wife will
no longer let me get up on the roof :-)
Can't say I'm that keen anyway..

Hmmm...
Roy

I've been watching this thread with some interest as we have the same
problem of moss on the roof and I've been meaning to do something about
it. As I'm not that great with heights I was thinking of watering the
roof with a moss killer.

Now that I know that copper works though it has given me another idea.
What do you think would happen if I just threw a hand full of some
copper salt, copper sulphate for instance, on the roof once in a while.

I think it should work as after all the copper wire idea works because
copper salts (some of which are probably copper sulphate produced by
acid rain) are produced and run slowly down the roof. It certainly beats
climbing around on the roof installing wire.

Graham
RzB

Hmmm - Might end up a bit patchy.... Yes/No?
Roy

RzB

I must say I'm a bit confused. I have been speaking to
all sorts of people and the recommendations vary wildly.

"Ooo - What ever you do don't let anyone pressure
wash the tiles - it will ruin them."

"An Anti Mould Growth sprayed on to the roof will
keep it clear for ten years or more.."

"CopperRidge is the answer... "

"Don't bother - it does more damage removing it than
leaving it alone"

etc...

Not quite sure what to do at the moment.
Something has got to happen because I'm fed up
with the patio being rained on by great lumps of moss...
Most anoying finding a lump of moss in your
plate of salad and barbie... :-)

Roy

doozer

RzB wrote:
Hmmm - Might end up a bit patchy.... Yes/No?
Roy

If it works I wouldn't have thought it would be patchy. The copper
sulphate you get from chemical suppliers is generally in quite small
grains and it's easy to crush up further if necessary.

The other reason I think it will probably not be patchy is because a
handful of copper sulphate spread evenly over the roof would probably be
give the equivalent amount of copper as having a solid copper roof for
50 years.

For those interested you can pick up a 1kg bag of copper sulphate from
sigma-aldrich for 11 of you hard earnt English pounds.
jacob

Why is moss on the roof a problem?

cheers

Jacob

RzB wrote:

Not quite sure what to do at the moment.
Something has got to happen because I'm fed up
with the patio being rained on by great lumps of moss...
Most anoying finding a lump of moss in your
plate of salad and barbie... :-)

Roy

Why not just make a pole up and pick it off?

NT

doozer

jacob wrote:
Why is moss on the roof a problem?

cheers

Jacob

There seems to be a lot of old wives tales about moss causing problems
on the roof. I have been told that over time it damages the tiles;
particularly so if they are softer or slightly porous as many old tiles
are. I can certainly believe that moss odes cause damage and if I can
find a £10 solution to moss on the roof well I think it's worth taking
it. The other problem is that it dries up in the summer and some bits
fall off. Over time it block the guttering. I can think of much better
things to do than remove hand fulls of decaying moss from the guttering.

I have noticed recently that the local birds are doing a surprisingly
good job of keep our guttering clear. There must be bugs living in and
under the moss that falls in the gutter. To get to at them the birds
(normally black birds) sit on the edge of the gutter and throw bits of
moss out. It makes a mess on the ground but that's much easier to clean up.

Protecting roof from moss Mike Faithfull UK diy 9 January 3rd 05 04:32 PM
Mixture for dealing with moss on roof? M.Burns Home Repair 3 April 22nd 04 08:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Moss on roof racarson Home Repair 8 November 14th 03 11:46 PM