doozer

jacob wrote:
Why is moss on the roof a problem?

cheers

Jacob

There seems to be a lot of old wives tales about moss causing problems
on the roof. I have been told that over time it damages the tiles;
particularly so if they are softer or slightly porous as many old tiles
are. I can certainly believe that moss odes cause damage and if I can
find a £10 solution to moss on the roof well I think it's worth taking
it. The other problem is that it dries up in the summer and some bits
fall off. Over time it block the guttering. I can think of much better
things to do than remove hand fulls of decaying moss from the guttering.

I have noticed recently that the local birds are doing a surprisingly
good job of keep our guttering clear. There must be bugs living in and
under the moss that falls in the gutter. To get to at them the birds
(normally black birds) sit on the edge of the gutter and throw bits of
moss out. It makes a mess on the ground but that's much easier to clean up.