racarson

Default Moss on roof

I noticed over the weekend that I am getting a build up of moss on my back
porch roof. The roof is under trees and gets very little sun.

Will the moss shorten the life of the asphalt shingles?

Is there a way to get rid of the moss? Some people recommended that I
should spray the roof with a bleach solution to get rid of the moss. Would
this be a good idea?

Thanks

Rileyesi

I noticed over the weekend that I am getting a build up of moss on my back
porch roof. The roof is under trees and gets very little sun.

Will the moss shorten the life of the asphalt shingles?

Is there a way to get rid of the moss? Some people recommended that I
should spray the roof with a bleach solution to get rid of the moss. Would
this be a good idea?

Thanks

I think there are products that are specifically for this and would be better
than bleach. Also, I read in an old home repair book that you can string bare
copper wire back and forth across the roof. As the copper rusts, the oxides
created are an anti-fungal agent. That is why you can see copper flashing on
old church roofs.

Good luck.
Phisherman

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:14:44 GMT, "racarson"
wrote:

I noticed over the weekend that I am getting a build up of moss on my back
porch roof. The roof is under trees and gets very little sun.

Will the moss shorten the life of the asphalt shingles?

Is there a way to get rid of the moss? Some people recommended that I
should spray the roof with a bleach solution to get rid of the moss. Would
this be a good idea?

Thanks

The bleach will help. Better solution is to remove branches overhead,
or just remove those trees that overhang your house. I prefer to go
one step further and keep all branches at least 10 feet from the
house. Your gutters will stay cleaner and this will help keep
squirrels off your roof.

Randd01

They sell stuff at Home Depot just for that. It goes right on your garden hose
and you spray it on the roof. I have heard that the copper wire does the trick
also.
mark Ransley

There are zinc strips sold for this, they nail at the top . They are
better than copper , but all will work. More sun is the best long
term option, as drying is not now allowed, rot will follow. Trees are
great , but must be trimmed a little. Houses need sun to dry them
out, but mine is covered by 7 old oaks so I understand your
reluctance. Trim a little, I lost my moss problems this way.

Joseph Meehan

The moss will damage the roof and so can the bleach. There are products
you can spray on and products that you can affix to the roof which will
prevent additional growth. Us the stuff intended for roofs.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"racarson" wrote in message
I noticed over the weekend that I am getting a build up of moss on my back
porch roof. The roof is under trees and gets very little sun.

Will the moss shorten the life of the asphalt shingles?

Is there a way to get rid of the moss? Some people recommended that I
should spray the roof with a bleach solution to get rid of the moss.

Would
this be a good idea?

Thanks

Loose Cannon

Depends where you live. If you live in Pacific Northwest, there isn't much
you can do to keep the moss off the shady portions of your roof.
I had a cedar shake roof and cedar gutters on the house when I bought it.
The zinc strip trick didn't seem to make much difference, if any. I just
get up there each year in early Summer with a stiff broom and brush the
loose stuff off. Keeps it under control. Next time, I will get a steel
roof and say goodbye to roof moss forever.
Good luck!

wrote:

I noticed over the weekend that I am getting a build up of moss on my back
porch roof. The roof is under trees and gets very little sun.

Will the moss shorten the life of the asphalt shingles?

Yes because it retains moisture and doesn't let the shingles dry out
after wet weather.

Is there a way to get rid of the moss? Some people recommended that I
should spray the roof with a bleach solution to get rid of the moss. Would
this be a good idea?

You've gotten various answers in this regard. My only addition is to
suggest zinc strips installed just below the topmost course of
shingles; the rainwater runs off the strips and changes chemical
composition to become hostile to moss.

Anyone want some heart pine roof decking? woodyq Woodworking 1 March 29th 04 11:25 PM
FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 10:28 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Moss on roof ROBMURR Home Repair 1 August 12th 03 06:15 AM