Mike Faithfull

Default Protecting roof from moss

I have a significant and unwanted presence of moss on a north-facing roof.
Some clumps of the stuff have inevitably fallen and infested the surface of
the drive too. I've read that moss doesn't like zinc, and that in the USA
it's fairly common to use a zinc strip along the ridge to discourage its
growth - you can even buy self-adhesive rolls of the stuff to apply to the
roof ("to avoid nail holes in the shingles"(!) ). I haven't seen such
products in the local sheds or builders merchants - is it available, do we
know? Does it work on British moss? (well, it might be a different variety
to the stuff the merkins grow!!)

Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:52:10 -0000, Mike Faithfull wrote:

you can even buy self-adhesive rolls of the stuff to apply to the
roof ("to avoid nail holes in the shingles"(!) ). I haven't seen
such products in the local sheds or builders merchants - is it
available,

yes probably know as flash band(ing) I don't think I've ever been in a
shed that doesn't have it. How ever the metal face might not be
zinc...

Does it work on British moss?

Donno, I thought the traditional roof moss repellent was copper. A
wire fixed below the ridge tiles.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Mike Faithfull" writes:
I have a significant and unwanted presence of moss on a north-facing roof.
Some clumps of the stuff have inevitably fallen and infested the surface of
the drive too. I've read that moss doesn't like zinc, and that in the USA
it's fairly common to use a zinc strip along the ridge to discourage its
growth - you can even buy self-adhesive rolls of the stuff to apply to the
roof ("to avoid nail holes in the shingles"(!) ). I haven't seen such
products in the local sheds or builders merchants - is it available, do we
know? Does it work on British moss? (well, it might be a different variety
to the stuff the merkins grow!!)

Copper certainly does. A thin copper wire stretched across
a roof will prevent any moss growing down the slope from it.
It might take a year or more to start becoming effective if
you already have a large moss growth there.

--
Andrew Gabriel
BigWallop

"Mike Faithfull" wrote in message
I have a significant and unwanted presence of moss on a north-facing roof.
Some clumps of the stuff have inevitably fallen and infested the surface

of
the drive too. I've read that moss doesn't like zinc, and that in the USA
it's fairly common to use a zinc strip along the ridge to discourage its
growth - you can even buy self-adhesive rolls of the stuff to apply to the
roof ("to avoid nail holes in the shingles"(!) ). I haven't seen such
products in the local sheds or builders merchants - is it available, do we
know? Does it work on British moss? (well, it might be a different

variety
to the stuff the merkins grow!!)

There is a moss inhibitor paint that Thatcher's use around the stonework to
thatch join, but I don't recall a name or maker for it. Maybe a web search
will bring something up.

Mike Faithfull

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:52:10 -0000, Mike Faithfull wrote:

you can even buy self-adhesive rolls of the stuff to apply to the
roof ("to avoid nail holes in the shingles"(!) ). I haven't seen
such products in the local sheds or builders merchants - is it
available,

yes probably know as flash band(ing) I don't think I've ever been in a
shed that doesn't have it. How ever the metal face might not be
zinc...

The only stuff I've seen in the sheds has had a very thin lead face ... (the
flash band I mean, not the staff - although ......)

Rick Hughes

"Mike Faithfull" wrote in message
I have a significant and unwanted presence of moss on a north-facing roof.
Some clumps of the stuff have inevitably fallen and infested the surface

of
the drive too. I've read that moss doesn't like zinc, and that in the USA
it's fairly common to use a zinc strip along the ridge to discourage its
growth

Don't know about zinc ... but it is true. for copper ....

Ian Middleton

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message

"Mike Faithfull" wrote in message
I have a significant and unwanted presence of moss on a north-facing
roof.
Some clumps of the stuff have inevitably fallen and infested the surface

of
the drive too. I've read that moss doesn't like zinc, and that in the
USA
it's fairly common to use a zinc strip along the ridge to discourage its
growth

Don't know about zinc ... but it is true. for copper ....

In my last house the non-sunny side of the roof suffer major moss problems,
leading to blocked gutters and even other plants moving in eg grass. I place
a "run" of 2.5mm copper core from some old electrical flex across the
uppermost tiles after reading somewhere about moss and lichen not liking
copper. Possibly made a slight difference on the tiles the wire ran across
but within a year or two moss was back across the whole of the roof.

I ended up just sweeping the piles of moss off every couple of years.

Jim Arnold

we have a large conservatory roof (3mx6m) triple glazed plastic fairly
shallow slope which after a year had a green tinge and then grew algae
I used to have to wash it off every 3 months during the summer then I
had a bright idea
In the garage I had the remains of a container of mould inhibitor it
was the type you put on walls before masonary painting them it was
Sandtex - so I sloshed some diluted stuff on and let it run down the
roof - no green growth for two years !

the Homebase brand one seems as effective

I suspect it will kill roof moss as well
Mike Faithfull

"Jim Arnold" wrote in message
we have a large conservatory roof (3mx6m) triple glazed plastic fairly
shallow slope which after a year had a green tinge and then grew algae
I used to have to wash it off every 3 months during the summer then I
had a bright idea
In the garage I had the remains of a container of mould inhibitor it
was the type you put on walls before masonary painting them it was
Sandtex - so I sloshed some diluted stuff on and let it run down the
roof - no green growth for two years !

the Homebase brand one seems as effective

I suspect it will kill roof moss as well

Thanks Jim - good thought, fine for your conservatory but not very practical
for the roof of the house - especially given my distaste for heights and
wobbly ladders!

Jim Arnold

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 10:37:13 -0000, "Mike Faithfull"
wrote:

"Jim Arnold" wrote in message
.. .
we have a large conservatory roof (3mx6m) triple glazed plastic fairly
shallow slope which after a year had a green tinge and then grew algae
I used to have to wash it off every 3 months during the summer then I
had a bright idea
In the garage I had the remains of a container of mould inhibitor it
was the type you put on walls before masonary painting them it was
Sandtex - so I sloshed some diluted stuff on and let it run down the
roof - no green growth for two years !

the Homebase brand one seems as effective

I suspect it will kill roof moss as well

Thanks Jim - good thought, fine for your conservatory but not very practical
for the roof of the house - especially given my distaste for heights and
wobbly ladders!

Yes it was a bit of an aside as I could just throw a couple of buckets
of stuff from an upstairs window
but given still day and a long lance spraygun or an ordinary one and
and some timber it depends on how bad your fear of heights is

Mixture for dealing with moss on roof? M.Burns Home Repair 3 April 22nd 04 08:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Moss on roof racarson Home Repair 8 November 14th 03 11:46 PM