Lil

Default Parquet flooring

We have a 1960's block wooden parquet floor in our entrance hall which is
driving me crazy!....It would look fabulous if we could just stop it getting
scratched. Have tried tough floor varnish but it doesn't seem to make any
difference. With four kids it's impossible to keep yelling "mind the
floor!" everytime anyone walks through the door - and anyway floors are made
to walk on and I'm that unusual type of female that doesn't like nagging
(yes really!). Love the look of the floor otherwise and don't really want
to change it - does anyone have any suggestions on what we could use to stop
it scratching and marking - non-slip of course!

Lil

S Viemeister

Lil wrote:

We have a 1960's block wooden parquet floor in our entrance hall which is
driving me crazy!....It would look fabulous if we could just stop it getting
scratched. Have tried tough floor varnish but it doesn't seem to make any
difference. With four kids it's impossible to keep yelling "mind the
floor!" everytime anyone walks through the door - and anyway floors are made
to walk on and I'm that unusual type of female that doesn't like nagging
(yes really!). Love the look of the floor otherwise and don't really want
to change it - does anyone have any suggestions on what we could use to stop
it scratching and marking - non-slip of course!

The only really effective solution, is a good mat outside, and a shoe rack
beside the entry.
Then training them to wipe their shoes on the mat, and then remove the
shoes and put them (the shoes - not the kids) on the rack.

Sheila

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil
We have a 1960's block wooden parquet floor in our entrance hall which is
driving me crazy!....It would look fabulous if we could just stop it getting
scratched. Have tried tough floor varnish but it doesn't seem to make any
difference. With four kids it's impossible to keep yelling "mind the
floor!" everytime anyone walks through the door - and anyway floors are made
to walk on and I'm that unusual type of female that doesn't like nagging
(yes really!). Love the look of the floor otherwise and don't really want
to change it - does anyone have any suggestions on what we could use to stop
it scratching and marking - non-slip of course!

Lil
We have poliurethane lacquer (several brands available) - which is not completely immune to scratches from the dog's claws, but after 3 years they barely show near the door to the garden. It's a bit of a pain to apply (need to re-sand the floor, then apply multiple coats and leave to dry in between, and it's not exactly a pleasure to smell).

The other option is to ignore the scratches, just buff them with some wax/polish and wait for them to get more uniform (look at any stately home's floors - they are not pristine, but they can look nice because they are scratched all over, not just in a few places).

Last edited by Davide : March 2nd 05 at 02:49 PM
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Lil"
wrote:

Have tried tough floor varnish

Bet you haven't ! What sort was it ? You can do better than the
usual B&Q polyurethanes.

(Rustin's Floorcoat, three coats. And the mats are a good idea too)

Mary Fisher

wrote:

Have tried tough floor varnish

Bet you haven't ! What sort was it ? You can do better than the
usual B&Q polyurethanes.

(Rustin's Floorcoat, three coats. And the mats are a good idea too)

But if you use mats you can't see the floor.

I think racks for the kids are a good idea.

Is there only one door?

I loved parquet floors in my school hall, I don't emember them ever being
scratched even with 600 girls in there every monring and other uses through
the day - but we did have to change from our outdoor shoes in the cloakroom.
That might have had something to do with it.

Mary

RichardS

"Lil" wrote in message
We have a 1960's block wooden parquet floor in our entrance hall which is
driving me crazy!....It would look fabulous if we could just stop it

getting
scratched. Have tried tough floor varnish but it doesn't seem to make any
difference. With four kids it's impossible to keep yelling "mind the
floor!" everytime anyone walks through the door - and anyway floors are

made
to walk on and I'm that unusual type of female that doesn't like nagging
(yes really!). Love the look of the floor otherwise and don't really want
to change it - does anyone have any suggestions on what we could use to

stop
it scratching and marking - non-slip of course!

Lil

What type of varnishes have you tried? There are some unbelievably tough
ones out there.

I laid an oak strip floor in my office before christmas & needed something
hard wearing (because I use one of those office chairs on hard plastic
casters & it would have ripped the finishes I've used elsewhere in the house
to shreds in days) and quick drying (I was on a tight timescale - christmas
was looming & missus beginning to glare frighteningly at the mess).

Picked up a tin of Blackfriar Duratough clear floor varnish - an acrylic
finish - from the decorator's merchants & I've been amazed at how tough this
stuff is. After 2 months of abuse under the chair casters it still looks as
good as the day it was finished, not even surface scratches visible under
light.

The other bonus is that this stuff dries after about 30 minutes & is
recoatable after 2 hours - I did the whole job in one (long) evening which
included having to shift about some Ikea (spit) whole-wall shelving about
the room (couldn't be removed from the room without being dismantled).

For areas of very high wear & when you don't want the hassle of maintaining
the kind of finish that gives you the olde-worlde-super-soft-sheen look of a
waxed floor I'd recommend this stuff very highly.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I loved parquet floors in my school hall, I don't emember them ever being
scratched even with 600 girls in there every monring

Commercial parquet floors usually get scratched to pieces, but they're
re-finished (wax and buffer) so frequently that it's removed as fast
as it appears.
Mary Fisher

wrote:

I loved parquet floors in my school hall, I don't emember them ever being
scratched even with 600 girls in there every monring

Commercial parquet floors usually get scratched to pieces, but they're
re-finished (wax and buffer) so frequently that it's removed as fast
as it appears.

Yes, that occurred to me later, the army of cleaners with polish mops was a
daily occurrence ad I discovered when I started working at the school and
sometimes stayed late.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Mark" wrote in message

(I just wish people would stop asking were we got that nice laminate
flooring from)

LOL! I wonder how you react :-)

Mary

Oak parquet flooring Amt UK diy 1 April 9th 04 06:18 PM
parquet flooring - Large tiles. Lc UK diy 0 March 25th 04 10:53 PM
Parquet flooring AJ's Daddy Home Repair 0 December 23rd 03 12:47 PM
Parquet flooring pro's needed Jim Mc Namara Home Repair 3 September 6th 03 10:47 PM
Flooring question: parquet over linoleum Oneguy Home Repair 0 July 8th 03 05:38 PM