Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Ed Sirett

Default Part P the reality.

I phoned my local building control dept.
I was posing as someone who 'wanted' to do the right thing.

Turns out after a conversation that whilst you can submit a notice
to your LABC and do the work yourself. However the fees are such that it
is financially very disadvantageous to do this.

Whilst it is true that the fee for the LABC is 100+VAT (for up to
£2000 quids worth of work) they are empowered in this matter to make
additional charges for the building notice. [Section 12 something or other ...]
The net result is that the LABC simply acts as an agency for sending
a registered sparky to inspect the work. There are five organisations
whose members may self certify. NICEIC, ECA, NAPIT ...

So effectively the law is use a registered sparky or pay for one through
the nose via the LABC.

This law is effectively unpoliceable until something goes wrong. If you
need to sell you might as well shell out a few hundred for a full test and
inspect ticket.

If there is other work that is notifiable taking place then it might well
be that a zealous LABC officer might be interested in Prat-P violations.

This year I'm too busy to sort out registration but I can see I'll have
to bite the bullet sooner or later.

DIY has now become a subversive activity...

Help finding old router part Jon Woodworking 14 March 18th 06 11:40 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Part P - new cable colours CRB UK diy 50 November 30th 04 11:13 PM
NOKIA TV PART URGENTLY NEEDED David Electronics Repair 2 May 30th 04 07:04 PM
rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 1 of 10 - General Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 2 April 3rd 04 12:15 PM