doozer

People get the government and laws they deserve (but why do *I*, ..etc.)
and you'd be hard put to find many outside the regular posters here who
can see anything wrong with 'raising' electrical installation standards,
or reducing 'confusion' among purchasers.

People don't think critically about anything beyond what's familiar to
them. How can they? How many here would applaud e.g. higher standards of
food inspection? That's got to lead automatically to safer food, hasn't it?

Whatever the proponents of modern education say, children are *not*
being taught and encouraged to think for themselves. Above all, they're
not taught to think more than one move ahead. That's the last thing any
state wants.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that the Government really does not
want us to be able to think more than one move ahead. After all if we
all feel that we are unable to decide things for ourselves we are easier
to control and manipulate. There is already a sizeable minority (hey the
optimist is speaking now) who will believe whatever the Government tell
them without question (especially if it related to a "war" on terror).

As for Part P I am having a difficult time deciding whether it is a good
thing or a bad thing. There are quite a few people out there that will
try and tackle a job without a good grasp of what it entails and
potentially end up with dangerous or even deadly results.

Having seen some of the cowboy work done on my present house, for
instance exposed chocy blocks held in place with blu-tak, by
"professionals" there is a big part of me that welcomes the oversight of
an independent body.

As someone who intends to get properly trained before tackling any work
covered by part p I am annoyed as it means yet more expense - often for
relatively minor jobs. The idea situation I think would be certification
courses. Harry House Owner would go on a (night) course which is
examined at the end. If they pass they can do _some_ work without
notification.