Peter Wright

Default [OT] £40 remote security camera & monitor at Woollies

Bill Woods wrote in news:9607CD0B344051D7E@
130.133.1.4:

[This is off-topic for some people.]

Are there any other alternatives out there which might be competitive
with this unit? Although it is aimed at a slightly different market,
I think I would prefer a camera trasmitter which shows the image on
my TV (via a reciever box). But can I get one for only £40?

http://www.ukmc.co.uk/

LordyUK

I think I would prefer a camera trasmitter which shows the image on=20
my TV (via a reciever box). But can I get one for only =A340?

This was linked to less than a week ago.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=3D5752290542

Postage is a tenner so technically it's =A350, but it's colour, tiny, has=
=20
more LEDs and a much greater transmitting distance.

--=20
Lordy.UK
brugnospamsia

"Bill Woods" wrote in message
[This is off-topic for some people.]

For half-price at £40 Woolworths is currently selling a TV security
camera with night-time infra red illumination via six LEDs.

This camera transmits over a distance of 12m (25m max) to a black &
white monitor which is also supplied for the price.

The units work at about 9v and two power supplies are provided.
Phone-type sockets on the monitor theoretically permit video and
sound recording.

Has anyone tried this unit?

What is the picture quality like?

There is a mic on the camera but can you monitor user speak to the
person at the camera?

Are there any other alternatives out there which might be competitive
with this unit? Although it is aimed at a slightly different market,
I think I would prefer a camera trasmitter which shows the image on
my TV (via a reciever box). But can I get one for only £40?

Are these systems guaranteed not to interact ?

Doorbells yes, networks, maybe, video cameras, no.

Perhaps they're cheap because of such problems.

If you can run a wire, do so - every house should have ducts with
pull-through cords.

And one can only wonder at the image quality of such a low-priced camera.

Jeremy

Dee

Bill Woods wrote:
[This is off-topic for some people.]

For half-price at £40 Woolworths is currently selling a TV security
camera with night-time infra red illumination via six LEDs.

Are they still selling it?

Caught some guy trying to break into my car last night whilst on our
driveway .. what I'd ideally want is a camera in our downstairs sitting
room window looking out on to the cars and for it to send a radio signal
up to my DVD recorder in my bedroom so if anything did happen it's all
on disc.
Sanddancer

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:09:23 GMT, Bill Woods
wrote:

[...]

I was thinking of getting one of these. Does anyone know how, if at
all, it will effect my wifi network?

Sanddancer

brugnospamsia

wrote:

[...]

the Ebay one looks amazing - just emailed to confirm the camera can be used
hard-wired too.

now just waiting for a UK.DIYer to test it for us as he doesn't offer
money-back unless it's faulty ....

David Wright

I was thinking of getting one of these. Does anyone know how, if at
all, it will effect my wifi network?

More likely - your wireless network will affect it.

Had to change the channel on my wireless network because I was getting
interference on my wireless video sender.

Changed the wireless channel, problem solved - interference gone.

D.

Mike Scott

brugnospamsia wrote:
And one can only wonder at the image quality of such a low-priced camera.

If it's like the cheap mi*rk one I bought last year, it'll be ghastly.
Very poor focus and resolution, the built-in infrared leds are all but
useless, and the dark picture is incredibly noisy. Also the AGC seems
to turn down the gain as the brightness drops :-) I'd say it was
optimized for about 8-10 ft viewing distance. Maybe. Certainly not
useful for general property surveillance - and I'm glad I only bought it
to try out some motion detection ideas.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
regards. Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Sanddancer

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:03:25 -0000, "David Wright"
wrote:

I was thinking of getting one of these. Does anyone know how, if at
all, it will effect my wifi network?

More likely - your wireless network will affect it.

Had to change the channel on my wireless network because I was getting
interference on my wireless video sender.

Changed the wireless channel, problem solved - interference gone.

D.

Thanks

Dee wrote:
Bill Woods wrote:
[This is off-topic for some people.]

For half-price at =A340 Woolworths is currently selling a TV

security
camera with night-time infra red illumination via six LEDs.

Are they still selling it?

Caught some guy trying to break into my car last night whilst on our
driveway .. what I'd ideally want is a camera in our downstairs

sitting
room window looking out on to the cars and for it to send a radio

signal
up to my DVD recorder in my bedroom so if anything did happen it's

all
on disc.

Trouble is for it to be any use it needs to show a very clear picture
of the man's face, and he'sgoing to be some distance away. You'd need a
decent hi res cam for that. Although a carp cam can get a pic of
someone doing something, using it to ID is another matter. People often
dopnt realise it, but a whole lotta people look almost the same.

OTOH the cam discreetly visible plus a sign saying youve got one is a
great deterrent.

NT

Capitol

David Wright wrote:
Had to change the channel on my wireless network because I was getting
interference on my wireless video sender.

Changed the wireless channel, problem solved - interference gone.

In that case you were quite lucky. These units normally don't like:-

1)Microwave ovens
2)Car ignition systems
3)Zenon headlamps
4)Slab sided vehicles
5)Snow!
6)Dect phones

I'm sure there are other interference problems, but I haven't
identified them yet.

Regards
Capitol

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Source: Remington security camera James Sweet Electronics Repair 2 November 11th 04 10:02 AM
Security Camera question - Your solution is here. Chip Home Repair 8 August 8th 04 07:35 PM
Camcorder as security camera RubbishRat Electronics Repair 11 June 24th 04 05:10 PM
Sears Craftsman Garage Door Opener Remote Control FYI SpongeBob SquarePants Rules! Home Repair 0 March 22nd 04 03:41 AM