Chip

Default Security Camera question - Your solution is here.

I had a problem with misguided bratty kids at one time too. Instead of a
tape system, I purchased a camera system that connects to the USB ports on
my computer. It records compressed realtime video to the hard drive only
when motion is sensed. No tapes to change. I have several months of recorded
video on my garage computer at any one time. It was fairly inexpensive too,
especially if you already have a computer.

The system I bought comes with 2 minature black and white, bullet cameras.
You can buy systems with more cameras but I only wanted two. I think the
whole thing (less the computer) was around $300. I've rcorded things like
the gas man checking the meter (he didn't even see the camera), lightning
strikes in the sky (really cool), and the time of day that all people come
and go. I have one camera on my driveway and another on my front door.
When the doorbell rings, I can look at the image without moving away from my
computer, just to see if I want to answer the door.

Chip

wrote in message
Does anyone know how those security cameras work that they have in
stores, banks, etc? I know they record to a common video tape, but
apparently they take a shot every minute or something like that,
because otherwise a person would have to change tapes every 6 hours.

I am asking because I live on a farm, and have some idiot leaving my
livestock out of their pens when I am away. I suspect one of several
bratty local kids, or an adult weirdo that has been causing problems
in our area.

I dont want to spend a ton of money on a professional security system.
But I do want to put a camera on the barn, like under the eaves or
something. I do have a camcorder and vcr, but I am often gone for
more than 6 hours at a time. Does anyone know of a way to make a
video camera take still shots, like one every 10 seconds or something.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks for all help.

Mark

Greg

I am just starting to play with my E-guard card but I am already getting great
raccoon pictures. The motion detector is an "event" that triggers a shot
Chuck

Do you have a web link or brand name?
Chuck

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 03:42:54 GMT, "Chip"
wrote:

[...]

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

tweaked

Chuck wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone know how those security cameras work that they have in
stores, banks, etc? I know they record to a common video tape, but
apparently they take a shot every minute or something like that,
because otherwise a person would have to change tapes every 6 hours.

I am asking because I live on a farm, and have some idiot leaving my
livestock out of their pens when I am away. I suspect one of
several bratty local kids, or an adult weirdo that has been causing
problems in our area.

I dont want to spend a ton of money on a professional security
system. But I do want to put a camera on the barn, like under the
eaves or something. I do have a camcorder and vcr, but I am often
gone for more than 6 hours at a time. Does anyone know of a way to
make a video camera take still shots, like one every 10 seconds or
something.

Wireless camera witha wireless card on your computer, motion detector
software just like the other suggestions. Up to 300' they claim. No wires
to run is key. You can use it later to watch for animal birthings, etc. I
used DLink, they have great customer support too.

Curly Sue

On 7 Aug 2004 11:49:26 -0500, tweaked vvv wrote:

Chuck wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

There are wireless, but not cordless? I.e., they still need an
electrical outlet?

Sue(tm)

chuck yerkes

wrote in message

Does anyone know how those security cameras work that they have in
stores, banks, etc? I know they record to a common video tape, but
apparently they take a shot every minute or something like that,
because otherwise a person would have to change tapes every 6 hours.

Slower than your VCR. Like 72 hr VCRs. Frys carries them, I noticed
last week.

Chip wrote:

I had a problem with misguided bratty kids at one time too. Instead of a
tape system, I purchased a camera system that connects to the USB ports on
my computer. It records compressed realtime video to the hard drive only
when motion is sensed. No tapes to change. I have several months of recorded
video on my garage computer at any one time. It was fairly inexpensive too,
especially if you already have a computer.

http://motion.sourceforge.net is a project that takes camera input (however
it gets there, I'd use a regular camera and a video IN card on teh
computer). based on what's in the frame it figures out if somethings
changed. And takes a picture.

All taht said, a $200 firewire drive with 200GB can hold a LOT of video
in. I dunno if computer recording programs in general will take a snap
every 2-3 seconds and turn it intoa movie. I might close and open a
new movie every hour. But you're going to look at it if the livestock
are out, find the movie that shows them IN and zip through taht until
you find them OUT.

The system I bought comes with 2 minature black and white, bullet cameras.
You can buy systems with more cameras but I only wanted two. I think the
whole thing (less the computer) was around $300.

So a specialized slow VCR or into a computer.

Hmmm, would a TIVO work for this? Just record channel 3 all the time...
Chip

http://www.123cctv.com/security.html

Dont stop looking at this one either, search the internet and compare. This
is where I went. I was satisfied with the product alright. It's their
customer service that I didn't care for.

Chip

"Chuck" wrote in message
Do you have a web link or brand name?
Chuck

Rein

wrote in message
[...]

the only downside is that they do NOT work at night.. They're minimum
light requirement is pretty high last time I researched it. Anyone
know if there are any infrared wireless IP camera's out there ?

Jim Yanik

Rein wrote in
:

the only downside is that they do NOT work at night.. They're minimum
light requirement is pretty high last time I researched it. Anyone
know if there are any infrared wireless IP camera's out there ?

Note that black/white cameras are more sensitive than color cameras.
Color cameras have filters to block IR and UV,and their sensor elements are
filtered for each of the three primary colors,RGB.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net