Harry Bloomfield

Default One for the plumbers?

Hi,

SWMBO will be trying to track down a replacement sealing fibre washer
for me tomorrow from a local plumbing emporium. I'm rather stuck for
describing the actual one needed and I cannot provide her with the
washer as a sample as this would mean leaving the water off....

The washer provides a seal between the connection between a wash basin
tap and the 15mm pipe fitting. The roughly 1/2 OD washer fits on a
shouldered fitting a union then pulls the tap and fitting together.
Probably an O ring would work just as well.

What correct name for this pipe fitting please?

I've just removed several of the taps in the house to repair and/or
replace them. The sealing washer on this one was damaged, so I have had
to put it back together with a small weepage, at least until the shops
reopen on Monday.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Brian Reay

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Hi,

SWMBO will be trying to track down a replacement sealing fibre washer
for me tomorrow from a local plumbing emporium. I'm rather stuck for
describing the actual one needed and I cannot provide her with the
washer as a sample as this would mean leaving the water off....

The washer provides a seal between the connection between a wash basin
tap and the 15mm pipe fitting. The roughly 1/2 OD washer fits on a
shouldered fitting a union then pulls the tap and fitting together.
Probably an O ring would work just as well.

What correct name for this pipe fitting please?

A tap connector.

Picture he http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...93078&id=18612

While you have it all apart, stick in some isolation valves by each tap (now
required for new installs I think). You can then turn off each tap to work
on it.

Brian Reay
www.g8osn.org.uk
www.amateurradiotraining.org.uk
FP#898

Harry Bloomfield

Brian Reay wrote on 20/02/2005 :

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
A tap connector.

That's the one.... Thanks Brian

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The washer provides a seal between the connection between a wash basin
tap and the 15mm pipe fitting. The roughly 1/2 OD washer fits on a
shouldered fitting a union then pulls the tap and fitting together.
Probably an O ring would work just as well.

What correct name for this pipe fitting please?

IIRC, tap connector?

I've just removed several of the taps in the house to repair and/or
replace them. The sealing washer on this one was damaged, so I have had
to put it back together with a small weepage, at least until the shops
reopen on Monday.

I'm pretty certain I've seen these washers in the sheds - probably in a
packet at an extortionate price.

If you have to use mail order, Screwfix do a fibre washer selection box.

--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

I've just removed several of the taps in the house to repair and/or
replace them. The sealing washer on this one was damaged, so I have had
to put it back together with a small weepage, at least until the shops
reopen on Monday.

I'm pretty certain I've seen these washers in the sheds - probably in a
packet at an extortionate price.

Pack of 10 for about 60p from Homebase/B&Q etc etc so not exactly
going to break the bank.

Does the OP not live near to such an establishment with weekend opening
hours ? Interesting approach of taking all the taps off without first
researching
what's required to securely put them back in place too! :-)

John Stumbles

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

The washer provides a seal between the connection between a wash basin
tap and the 15mm pipe fitting. The roughly 1/2 OD washer fits on a
shouldered fitting a union then pulls the tap and fitting together.
Probably an O ring would work just as well.

What correct name for this pipe fitting please?

IIRC, tap connector?

I've just removed several of the taps in the house to repair and/or
replace them. The sealing washer on this one was damaged, so I have had
to put it back together with a small weepage, at least until the shops
reopen on Monday.

I'm pretty certain I've seen these washers in the sheds - probably in a
packet at an extortionate price.

If you have to use mail order, Screwfix do a fibre washer selection box.

Or if you order from BES you can get fibre (and other) washers by the
gross at reasonable prices, as well as the "Plumbers' Repair kit" boxes
of tap washers, ballvalve washers, fibre & rubber washers, and 'O'
rings; all at reasonable prices. Well worth it for the convenience of
not having to go hunting down some odd washer ... well, not so often
having to do so - they don't contain everything.
Andy Hall

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:25:07 +0000, John Stumbles
wrote:

Or if you order from BES you can get fibre (and other) washers by the
gross at reasonable prices, as well as the "Plumbers' Repair kit" boxes
of tap washers, ballvalve washers, fibre & rubber washers, and 'O'
rings; all at reasonable prices. Well worth it for the convenience of
not having to go hunting down some odd washer ... well, not so often
having to do so - they don't contain everything.

..... until you do what I do and can't find the box..... :-(

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Harry Bloomfield

Andy used his keyboard to write :
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Pack of 10 for about 60p from Homebase/B&Q etc etc so not exactly
going to break the bank.

Does the OP not live near to such an establishment with weekend opening
hours ?

Yes, but if you don't know what the items are actually called....

Interesting approach of taking all the taps off without first
researching
what's required to securely put them back in place too! :-)

Twas no but a tiny drip, hardly worth the fuel to drive over to B&Q.
Jobs are never planned here, they 'happen' when the time and
inclination coincide ;-)

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Pack of 10 for about 60p from Homebase/B&Q etc etc so not exactly
going to break the bank.

Does the OP not live near to such an establishment with weekend opening
hours ?

Yes, but if you don't know what the items are actually called....

Well, you just look round the plumbing section 'till you find what you
want.
Works for me, as I rarely know a street elbow from an unequal tee. :-)

FWIW, a lick of Fernox sealer on these joints will stop them leaking ever.
Dunno if the sheds sell it - but a decent PM will.

--
*It was all so different before everything changed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Pack of 10 for about 60p from Homebase/B&Q etc etc so not exactly
going to break the bank.

Does the OP not live near to such an establishment with weekend opening
hours ?

Yes, but if you don't know what the items are actually called....

Well, you just look round the plumbing section 'till you find what you
want.
Works for me, as I rarely know a street elbow from an unequal tee. :-)

FWIW, a lick of Fernox sealer on these joints will stop them leaking ever.
Dunno if the sheds sell it - but a decent PM will.

Homebase sell Fernox

Newshound

If you are absolutely stuck in this position (washer destroys itself) then
about ten turns of PTFE tape wound into a sort of string in the washer
location will usually work. Personally I keep a couple of these washers
scattered around all my tool boxes because I can never remember where I keep
them.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Newshound wrote:
If you are absolutely stuck in this position (washer destroys itself)
then about ten turns of PTFE tape wound into a sort of string in the
washer location will usually work. Personally I keep a couple of these
washers scattered around all my tool boxes because I can never remember
where I keep them.

I've found an O ring will also work, and since they stretch somewhat need
not be a perfect fit. However, only used one as a temporary solution.

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
mike ring

"Andy" wrote in
:

FWIW, a lick of Fernox sealer on these joints will stop them leaking
ever. Dunno if the sheds sell it - but a decent PM will.

Homebase sell Fernox

B&Q too

mike
mike ring

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

I've found an O ring will also work, and since they stretch somewhat need
not be a perfect fit. However, only used one as a temporary solution.

35 year since? ;0)

mike
Mary Fisher

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message

Jobs are never planned here, they 'happen' when the time and inclination
coincide ;-)

You mean there's another way?

Mary