FireBrick

Default Questions for the plumbers

While you guys are offering such good advice.
I have another one for you.

I have copper pipe through the house. (real OLD house but all the iron was
replaced)
but unfortunately the service from the street is only 3/4 copper.
The riser in the house is 3/4, except in some of the older walls where it's
1/2".

My wife complains when washing/rinsing dishes that the pressure drops too
much if simultaneous flushes or washing machine is running when rinsing
dishes.

Normal residual pressure on street mains is in the 45-50# PSI range.

Do they sell a homeowner version of a inline jockey pump that would jump the
pressure a few pounds when a flow was detected?

As a retired firefighter, I know you can't pump more than what the main can
provide.
But even a couple of PSI gain might make the wife happy.

And as you guys must know...."If momma is happy, EVERYONE is happy".

thanks again.

"I am." is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.

Bill H. in Chicagoland

Matt

Was a pressure reducing valve installed when it was repiped?

I know it doesn't answer your question, but maybe something to check
first.

Jeff Wisnia

FireBrick wrote:
[...]

I had a house near the top of a hill years ago with a similar water
pressure/flow situation. I ended up installing a booster pump with a
diaphragm type storage tank, similar to what you'd use for a shallow
well system. AFAIK most shallow well puming equipment should work OK in
that application, but I'm not completely certain about that, so check it
out yourself.

Anyway, I set the pressure switch to kick the pump on when pressure fell
below 60 psi and stop it at about 75 psi.

It helped a lot, but I did measure the pump motor's running current and
got ticked off when I realized that I was paying more for the juice to
pressurize the water than I was for the water itself. G

The city eventually improved their own system and gave us enough water
pressure so that I was able to stop using and remove that auxillary
booster pump and tank.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Joseph Meehan

"FireBrick" wrote in message
[...]

How about restricting the flow to the offending other uses? The washing
machine will not really notice if it is partly restricted. It may take a
couple of extra minutes to wash a load, but who will know. Same with a
toilet refilling.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math