dave @ stejonda

Default Flues cross my boundary - whar are the regs

In message , Ian Middleton
writes
My parents suffer a similar problem with their neighbours condensing
boiler venting near their back door. All flues and pipes are within the
neighbours property but in the winter it splutters water and steam that
causes everything by the back door to be covered in a layer of ice. Not
nice.

They have had a word, but the neighbour is an grade one a*se, who says
its not his problem.

can they not erect a barrier so that the ventings remain on the
neighbour's property?

--
dave @ stejonda
Bring culture back to NTL.

Ian Middleton

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , Ian Middleton
writes
My parents suffer a similar problem with their neighbours condensing
boiler venting near their back door. All flues and pipes are within the
neighbours property but in the winter it splutters water and steam that
causes everything by the back door to be covered in a layer of ice. Not
nice.

They have had a word, but the neighbour is an grade one a*se, who says
its not his problem.

can they not erect a barrier so that the ventings remain on the
neighbour's property?

They did put a plastic sheet in the way screwed to top of the fence, but
looked unsightly and got dirty very quickly. I think they are just going to
live with it as it is only once or twice a year, when it is cold for a long
time and you want to get into the back garden it is a problem.

IMM

"Ian Middleton" wrote in message
[...]

Tell them to contact the local council.

Ian Middleton

"Nige" wrote in message
In uk.d-i-y, IMM wrote:

Tell them to contact the local council.

Quite, you cannot discharge anything onto a neighbours property.

--
Nige

Please replace YYYY with the current year

They did have a word, but the girls father is somebody high up in Council
planning who got someone to look at it, decided the outlet pipes are greater
then 600mm from boundary so therefore is not a problem !!!

TheScullster

If the discharge from the neighbours flue causes ice to form on a footpath,
doesn't this present a health and safety issue?

Phil

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"TheScullster" writes:
If the discharge from the neighbours flue causes ice to form on a footpath,
doesn't this present a health and safety issue?

I recall a few years back someone here had a condensing boiler
discharging condensate over their conservatory. At some point,
a 4' icicle came smashing through the conservatory roof.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Tony Bryer

In article , Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I recall a few years back someone here had a condensing boiler
discharging condensate over their conservatory. At some point,
a 4' icicle came smashing through the conservatory roof.

AIUI that's why the current ones have a urinal style syphonic trap that
discharges a whole load of water in one go rather than a drip, drip,
drip which is liable to freeze up.

Michael Mcneil

"Ian Middleton" wrote in message

My parents suffer a similar problem with their neighbours condensing boiler
venting near their back door. All flues and pipes are within the neighbours
property but in the winter it splutters water and steam that causes
everything by the back door to be covered in a layer of ice. Not nice.

If they were my parents it wouldn't happen twice. Arseholes will only be
arseholes until someone wipes their botties.

An uncanny series of accidents might help him see better.

MBQ

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message news:4f0c7eb8c835d55f3ae0f8c59db62b38.45219@mygat e.mailgate.org...
"Ian Middleton" wrote in message

My parents suffer a similar problem with their neighbours condensing boiler
venting near their back door. All flues and pipes are within the neighbours
property but in the winter it splutters water and steam that causes
everything by the back door to be covered in a layer of ice. Not nice.

If they were my parents it wouldn't happen twice. Arseholes will only be
arseholes until someone wipes their botties.

An uncanny series of accidents might help him see better.

My parents are bigger than your parents!

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andy, Hydeprak wrote:
I have a similar issue. Building Control advised that it is not their issue.
Building Control said take it up with the gas registered engineer who
installed it. Gas Safe have guidelines for flume installation and that is
what they are, guidelines not regulations. They say in their document that
their guidelines can not be enforced. Therefore, it seems, people are free to
place pipes over other peoples boundary so long as the gas pipes have been
fitted by a gas registered engineer and the council will say all is ok. The
only way is go through the courts either on a nuisance case, trespass or
inability to build on your own land. Costly and no guarantee the pipes will be
moved. Such a weird system. Building regulations and Gas safe have no powers
where a flume is placed. Build Control Officer don't want to get involved in
boundary disputes. My point is should nt they not allow people to place pipes
on private land? how is that safe? When someone wants to build on their own
land all adjacent pipes that emit fumes and steam will hit the boundary wall.
Confused and perplexed. I would never do this to anyone. Its so petty.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...egs-82951-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to tony sayer, Hydeprak wrote:
Building control will not get involved in boundary disputes although they are
more than happy to let pipes overhang private property. Weird.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...egs-82951-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Would you not ask the neighbours? After all its polite is it not?
I used to go for long walks, but to get to the fields here was a public
footpath alongside some new build housing. One day, I hit my head on
something, and it was a pipe, with a kind of baffle over it poking out of
the side wall of the house on the end.It was obviously a flue of some kind.
I pointed it out to the council. What did they do? Got the homeowner to
paint it bright yellow.
What can one say?
Bah Humbug.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Hydeprak" m wrote in
message oupdirect.com...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2020 00:44, Hydeprak wrote:
replying to Andy, Hydeprak wrote:
I have a similar issue. Building Control advised that it is not their
issue.
Building Control said take it up with the gas registered engineer who
installed it.Â* Gas Safe have guidelines for flume installation and that is
what they are, guidelines not regulations. They say in their document that
their guidelines can not be enforced. Therefore, it seems, people are
free to
place pipes over other peoples boundary so long as the gas pipes have been
fitted by a gas registered engineer and the council will say all is ok. The
only way is go through the courts either on a nuisance case, trespass or
inability to build on your own land. Costly and no guarantee the pipes
will be
moved. Such a weird system. Building regulations and Gas safe have no
powers
where a flume is placed.Â* Build Control Officer don't want to get
involved in
boundary disputes. My point is should nt they not allow people to place
pipes
on private land? how is that safe? When someone wants to build on their own
land all adjacent pipes that emit fumes and steam will hit the boundary
wall.
Confused and perplexed. I would never do this to anyone. Its so petty.

unfortunately the building regs allow a limited amount of openings on a
boundary and people have used this to have flues on the boundary...I
would just stick a fence against it.....your right to do so under 2m
high ....