Marsha

Default Tumble Dryer

Hi I hope someone can help. I have a small pantry off my kitchen
which the previous owner decided to use to house the boiler. The rest
of the space in there is wasted so I was thinking of putting a tumble
dryer, vented to the outside, in the space below the boiler.

Does anyone know whether it would be unsafe for the boiler and tumble
dryer to be in such close proximity?

Thanks in anticipation

Marsha wrote:
Hi I hope someone can help. I have a small pantry off my kitchen
which the previous owner decided to use to house the boiler. The

rest
of the space in there is wasted so I was thinking of putting a tumble
dryer, vented to the outside, in the space below the boiler.

Does anyone know whether it would be unsafe for the boiler and tumble
dryer to be in such close proximity?

Thanks in anticipation

More pointless than unsafe.

NT

Christian McArdle

Tumble driers are for the most part pointless, since one only need hang
clothes up for them to dry, the driers waste money to buy, space to
keep them, and cost to run - none of which there is any need for.

You clearly have no children. The sheer quantity of laundry required would
require every surface in the house to be used for drying clothes, which is
ugly and impractical. We often do four washes in one day.

It would also require twice as much bedding (and storage for such), as you
couldn't turn it around in a day.

Christian.

John Rumm

Marsha wrote:

Does anyone know whether it would be unsafe for the boiler and tumble
dryer to be in such close proximity?

Nope, should be fine...

(the boiler may have minimum clearance distances that it needs around it
- but these tend to be (at most) in the order of a couple of hundred mm)

--
Cheers,

John.

Lobster

Marsha wrote:
Hi I hope someone can help. I have a small pantry off my kitchen
which the previous owner decided to use to house the boiler. The rest
of the space in there is wasted so I was thinking of putting a tumble
dryer, vented to the outside, in the space below the boiler.

Does anyone know whether it would be unsafe for the boiler and tumble
dryer to be in such close proximity?

That's exactly where our tumble drier has sat for the past 5 years
without eventuality (admittedly not in a pantry); I can't conceive of
any particular reason why there would be a problem with it.

David
Tim S

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:32:48 +0000, Christian McArdle wrote:

Tumble driers are for the most part pointless, since one only need hang
clothes up for them to dry, the driers waste money to buy, space to keep
them, and cost to run - none of which there is any need for.

You clearly have no children. The sheer quantity of laundry required would
require every surface in the house to be used for drying clothes, which is
ugly and impractical. We often do four washes in one day.

It would also require twice as much bedding (and storage for such), as you
couldn't turn it around in a day.

Christian.

Bing

Ditto dishwashers. I used to think that people who owned dishwashers were
essentially too rich/gay/lazy. After all, only took me 5-10 mins max to
wash up after dinner (including the lunch and breakfast dishes lying
around). That was when I lived on my own in a tiny flat and ate frozen
pizza.

Then I got married and had a sproglet.

Tim

Old Bill

Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:

wrote:

of the space in there is wasted so I was thinking of putting a

tumble

dryer, vented to the outside, in the space below the boiler.

More pointless than unsafe.

Why is putting a tumble-drier in a wasted space "pointless" ?

Tumble driers are for the most part pointless, since one only need hang
clothes up for them to dry, the driers waste money to buy, space to
keep them, and cost to run - none of which there is any need for.
People use driers beacuse they dont get their laundry routine sorted.

I'm quite sure I'm inviting criticism on this one

NT

A close relative of mine has hung wet clothes in his flat for several
years. The mould and condensation are horrendus to the point that I
wouldn't sleep there. However, I will hang clothes outside whenever that
possible, mainly to save energy; but that is quite rare this time of year.
Suz

Tumble driers are for the most part pointless, since one only need hang
clothes up for them to dry, the driers waste money to buy, space to
keep them, and cost to run - none of which there is any need for.

This is of course nonsense. It's no more valid than saying "TVs waste
energy + time, so you shouldn't have one" - you get to choose whether you
want a TV, and you get to choose whether you want a tumble drier.

I personally think they're a great idea. They dry our clothes nice and
quick, and leave them feeling much softer than air-dried clothes.

Our condensing drier pumps out all its waste heat into our unheated
utility room, so for most of the year it is quite welcome heat.

When you hang clothes up to dry, you dump all that water into your house
atmosphere. This may be good or bad, depending on your ambient humidity,
but it isn't very controlled.
[snip]

--
Grunff

Sensible stuff from Grunff as usual!

Suzanne

Suz

Tumble driers are for the most part pointless, since one only need hang
clothes up for them to dry, the driers waste money to buy, space to
keep them, and cost to run - none of which there is any need for.
People use driers beacuse they dont get their laundry routine sorted.

Prat. Spot the person who has some-one "sorting" their laundry for them.

I'm quite sure I'm inviting criticism on this one

NT

Partly agree, we have a condenser tumble that is regularly used for things
like sheets and towels, but we have taken to hanging most wearable
clothing up to dry because otherwise the heat and attrition from the
tumble eventually ruins them...

Lee

I have a condensor drier which is top of the range and I don't do towels and
sheets in it to save money, I just fling them on the radiator until 90%
dry - but I do use it for all other clothes. With the correct fabric
conditioner and a good tumble dryer I have eliminated ironing. This seems
to actually increase the life of the clothes, as the direct heat from an
iron can be quite harsh.

Suzanne

PS I LURVE my tumble drier - I may have mentioned this before in this NG??

PPS My mother cheapo cheerful tumble dryer has the stuff coming out like
boards and enough static to make you sparkle in the dark for a week.

Lee

Suz wrote:
People use driers beacuse they dont get their laundry routine sorted.

Prat. Spot the person who has some-one "sorting" their laundry for them.

Was that aimed at me or NT?

NT

Partly agree, we have a condenser tumble that is regularly used for things
like sheets and towels, but we have taken to hanging most wearable
clothing up to dry because otherwise the heat and attrition from the
tumble eventually ruins them...

Lee

snip
With the correct fabric conditioner and a good tumble dryer I have eliminated ironing. This seems
to actually increase the life of the clothes, as the direct heat from an
iron can be quite harsh.

Suzanne

What's an iron? I don't think we actually posess one of those

It's just what we've found in practice, and we've tried the various
conditioners/sheets etc. Our current tumble is a Zanussi condenser, ok
it's not exactly top of the range, but it isn't the worst either.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.