Ed Sirett

Default What's the "dog's" for dealing with black mould.

Does anyone know of a supplier of anti-fungal paint?

The problem: a solid concrete (or other masonry finish) ceiling, the
shower steam goes straight up and condenses, with the inevitable result.

I'll be adding forced ventilation for the new occupants. However I would
like to know what paints are available which are truly anti-fungal?

BIGEYE

I used this two years ago. No problems since. It is expensive though.
Also, install an extraction fan - the centrifugal type. Not the axial fans,
they are crap.
Link for paint:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?N2A512E6A

news

Ed Sirett wrote:

Does anyone know of a supplier of anti-fungal paint?

The problem: a solid concrete (or other masonry finish) ceiling, the
shower steam goes straight up and condenses, with the inevitable

result.

I'll be adding forced ventilation for the new occupants. However I

would
like to know what paints are available which are truly anti-fungal?

I wonder why people pay premium prices for antifungal paints when they
can just add antifungal compounds to whatever paint they wish.

The cheapest is crushed aspirin tablets. Copper compounds are
antifungal, and a longer lasting choice if something of low solubility
is picked.

NT

Peter Parry

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 19:19:56 +0000, Ed Sirett
wrote:

The problem: a solid concrete (or other masonry finish) ceiling, the
shower steam goes straight up and condenses, with the inevitable result.

Polystyrene ceiling tiles?

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Malcolm Race

Ed Sirett wrote:
Does anyone know of a supplier of anti-fungal paint?

The problem: a solid concrete (or other masonry finish) ceiling, the
shower steam goes straight up and condenses, with the inevitable result.

I'll be adding forced ventilation for the new occupants. However I would
like to know what paints are available which are truly anti-fungal?

Look at anti-fungal treatmnts containing quaternary ammonium compounds.
They are available (sorry, don't know a brand) as sprays or solutions
to kill existing mould growth

Malcolm

wrote:

The problem: a solid concrete (or other masonry finish) ceiling, the
shower steam goes straight up and condenses, with the inevitable

result.

Polystyrene ceiling tiles?

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Surely this is the answer - or use a slab of expanded polystryene to
insulate the ceiling. I would have thought it far more preferable to
eliminate the condensation than to attacked the problem chemically. If
nothing else the insualation will last for ever while anytning 'anti-'
will deteriorate with time.

Having said that - is the aspirin thing true or are you pulling the
collective leg ?

Rob

Rob

Ed Sirett

wrote:

The problem: a solid concrete (or other masonry finish) ceiling, the
shower steam goes straight up and condenses, with the inevitable result.

Polystyrene ceiling tiles?

OK I could afford to loose a cm or two (but not much more) from the room
height and use celotex or similar. But it would likely need to be skimmed
over (under really?) to look OK.

Polystyrene tiles are just too naff
even for a middle market 1 bed flat.

Could try polystyrene 'lining paper' but that's only a few mm thick and
might not work well enough.

Owain

"Ed Sirett" wrote
| Polystyrene tiles are just too naff
| even for a middle market 1 bed flat.

And I think unacceptable on fire safety grounds.

The problem really is not condensation per se, but condensation wetting a
surface and providing the conditions for mould to grow. If you can replace
the surface with something which sheds condensation, mould will be a lot
less likely to grow. Tiles would work, or the tile or marble style plastic
laminates used in commercial kitchens or bathrooms. The condensation should
simply run off harmlessly, and if some mould does grow then the surface is
wipe-clean with bleach.

Owain

Peter Parry

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:47:59 +0000, Ed Sirett
wrote:

Could try polystyrene 'lining paper' but that's only a few mm thick and
might not work well enough.

I've used it on a cold wall in a bathroom and it worked quite well(in
that it moved the condensation elsewhere until proper ventilation was
sorted out). Even where water does condense on it it seems to
evaporate somewhat faster so minimising the opportunity of mould
developing.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Peter Parry

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:33:18 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote
| Polystyrene tiles are just too naff
| even for a middle market 1 bed flat.

And I think unacceptable on fire safety grounds.

I can see no problem with them on a solid concrete bathroom ceiling.
By the time they ignited anyone in the flat would long ago have
ceased worrying about it.

Suspended polystyrene ceilings are a different kettle of fish.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Ed Sirett

wrote:

Could try polystyrene 'lining paper' but that's only a few mm thick and
might not work well enough.

I've used it on a cold wall in a bathroom and it worked quite well(in
that it moved the condensation elsewhere until proper ventilation was
sorted out). Even where water does condense on it it seems to
evaporate somewhat faster so minimising the opportunity of mould
developing.

I think I'll basically clean off the existing with bleach.
Add an extractor fan. Which will mean a Part-P building notice wink.
And paint with an anti-mould paint.

The tenants before the last lot did not have a problem so the users also
have a big part to play in the matters.

Flat is in a block with communal (unvented) HW the shower is truly superb
off a 'contract' grade manual mixer. This probably encourages luxuriating
under the warm fire hose...

Owain

"Ed Sirett" wrote
| Add an extractor fan. Which will mean a Part-P building notice wink.

nod But you've got a receipt for an extractor fan you bought last year -
proof you started the job before 31st Dec.

Owain

Ed Sirett

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:32:45 +0000, Owain wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote
| Add an extractor fan. Which will mean a Part-P building notice wink.

nod But you've got a receipt for an extractor fan you bought last year -
proof you started the job before 31st Dec.

I always keep 4" bathroom timer fans in stock - it'll be old stock.

Andy Wade

Ed Sirett wrote:

Does anyone know of a supplier of anti-fungal paint?

The problem: a solid concrete (or other masonry finish) ceiling, the
shower steam goes straight up and condenses, with the inevitable result.

I'll be adding forced ventilation for the new occupants. However I would
like to know what paints are available which are truly anti-fungal?

IME a 'fungicidal wash' such as the Dulux one here

http://www.duluxtrade.co.uk/webapp/w...ctType=dulu x

makes a very effective pre-treatment. Provided the new ventilation is
effective there's surely no reason not to follow up with ordinary
emulsion - or an alkyd-based eggshell finish if you're still worried
about damp.

--
Andy

Origin of Hex Head Nuts/bolts? CWLee Metalworking 57 August 10th 17 01:09 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. tester Electronics Repair 17 May 27th 04 12:45 PM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. tester Home Repair 16 May 27th 04 12:45 PM
Black mould above window Marc Lee UK diy 3 October 28th 03 09:50 PM