Marc Lee

Default Black mould above window

I've just stripped the wallpaper from the bedroom wall. Above the
window is a patch of black mould / mildew.

On closer inspection I found there is an airbrick venting the cavity
above the window. I suspect that driving rain gets blown into the
cavity and has caused the damp.

My thoughts are to put a louvred vent over the airbrick to allow
ventilation, but reduce water ingress.

I can then treat the mould and decorate.

Any other ideas?

TIA

Tim Mitchell

In article , Marc Lee
writes
I've just stripped the wallpaper from the bedroom wall. Above the
window is a patch of black mould / mildew.

On closer inspection I found there is an airbrick venting the cavity
above the window. I suspect that driving rain gets blown into the
cavity and has caused the damp.

My thoughts are to put a louvred vent over the airbrick to allow
ventilation, but reduce water ingress.

I can then treat the mould and decorate.

I think the air brick will be making the inner wall colder in that area,
so condensation is forming and causing the mould to grow. I doubt that
it will be water ingress.

You will probably need to get rid of the condensation, open your windows
for half an hour each morning or something. Our house grows black mould
at the slightest provocation if not well ventilated, usually high up in
the corners of rooms with outside walls, but it's just condensation. I
periodically attack it with thin bleach.
--
Tim Mitchell
Marc Lee

Tim Mitchell wrote in message ...

I think the air brick will be making the inner wall colder in that area,
so condensation is forming and causing the mould to grow. I doubt that
it will be water ingress.

Thanks for the advice Tim, sounds like the previous owners kept the
windows closed! We have some smaller patches in wardrobe corners etc.

Marc

Flat Roof Side Window Gary Holt UK diy 1 October 6th 03 07:49 PM
reduce sound through window Remco UK diy 5 October 5th 03 11:29 AM
Best way to Seal Gap at top of Window? Michael D UK diy 1 September 6th 03 10:24 PM
What are the led strips below window sill? Rich UK diy 2 August 6th 03 08:54 PM
problem with velux window BigWallop UK diy 1 July 23rd 03 08:20 PM