Remco

Default reduce sound through window

Hello,

Recently, traffic in my street got a lot more busy as it used to be. As it
really gets on my nerves, I want to insulate my house. I noticed most/if
not all of the noise comes through the main double glazed window.
It's a modern construction, no air leaks. After reading the internet, I
found out one of the best solutions is to make a 2nd glazing, inside the main
window. As this is the easiest to do in the existing setup, I want to know
what sound reduction I can expect from it. Let me sum it up:

situation now: main window 4/6/5 mm 1.4m x 2m, normal double glazed.
situation later: behind this, at about 4 cm distance, from the inside, a
2nd window, 8mm thick.

Most of my annoyances are in the low frequency spectrum. How many dB's
will this be reduced? And what is this insulation in real-life? (I'm not a sound
engineer). Any ways I can improve it any more?

thanks for any answers,
Remco
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Remco wrote:
Most of my annoyances are in the low frequency spectrum. How many dB's
will this be reduced? And what is this insulation in real-life? (I'm not
a sound engineer). Any ways I can improve it any more?

I measured a reduction of 13dB (wideband) with sliding secondary glazing
spaced about 9" away from single glazed steel framed windows. This in
'subjective' units more than halves the noise, and is well worth it.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Matthew Ames \(news\)

"Remco" wrote in message
news
Recently, traffic in my street got a lot more busy as it used to be. As it
really gets on my nerves, I want to insulate my house. I noticed most/if
not all of the noise comes through the main double glazed window.
It's a modern construction, no air leaks. After reading the internet, I
found out one of the best solutions is to make a 2nd glazing, inside the

main
window. As this is the easiest to do in the existing setup, I want to know
what sound reduction I can expect from it. Let me sum it up:

I ahve wooden double glazed units and I have noticed that they seem to let
noise though the wood to wood seals rather than the glass work. My parents
had fitted, about 10 years ago, secondary double glazing, which it what you
are refering to, from Anglican Windows. This mean they were able to keep
their older wooden windows which are much more in keeping with the style of
the house.

Owain

"Matthew Ames (news)" wrote
| ... Anglican Windows...

They don't sound too bad. It's the Wee Free Church Windaes you have to
avoid; they won't open on Sundays.

Owain

Matthew Ames

"Owain" wrote in message
"Matthew Ames (news)" wrote
| ... Anglican Windows...

They don't sound too bad. It's the Wee Free Church Windaes you have to
avoid; they won't open on Sundays.

D;oh!