TonyK

Default Anything better than DECT...

I live/work in a very large old Victorian mansion, i.e. lots of very thick
stone walls, four floors etc etc. I have three DECT phones, two at one end
and one at the other. they vary in cost from the cheapest, BT at about £75 &
£100 to my own Samsung which was originally about £200 albeit a couple of
years back.

Now in theory DECT is DECT and they should have an optimum range of 300m
(yeah right!). The cheapest struggles to go 15m between 3 rooms. The middle
one is a bit better, and the Samsung better still. But none of them will do
the 50m between reception and office. When I bought them I tried numerous
models and these we're the best at the time but that was 2 years back.

I did look at repeaters but each phone is actually on a different line so I
think its getting a bit too complicated to extend the signal?

Has the technology improved or is there something better out there?

Ta

mrcheerful

&
£100 to my own Samsung which was originally about £200 albeit a couple of
years back.

Now in theory DECT is DECT and they should have an optimum range of 300m
(yeah right!). The cheapest struggles to go 15m between 3 rooms. The
middle
one is a bit better, and the Samsung better still. But none of them will
do
the 50m between reception and office. When I bought them I tried numerous
models and these we're the best at the time but that was 2 years back.

I did look at repeaters but each phone is actually on a different line so
think its getting a bit too complicated to extend the signal?

Has the technology improved or is there something better out there?

There are super power phones out there, but they are illegal here. I
searched for high power dect or something similar , and found something that
would get through thirty floors IIRC, whether it would work on our phone
system I don't know, or fry your brain on a quick call. I opted for two
carefully placed repeaters on only one line though.

mrcheerful

The Natural Philosopher

TonyK wrote:

[...]

Yes. Cat 5 cable and a small PABX.
TonyK

TonyK wrote:

[...]

You mean fixed points around the building? I need portable handsets.

Lurch

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 08:05:03 -0000, "TonyK"
strung together this:

Has the technology improved or is there something better out there?

DECT repeaters. Not sure what's available for domestic GAP usage, I've
only used them on PABX's with cell stations but the idea is that you
have one base station with DECT repeaters around the property that
boost that single base stations signal.
Similar in operation to mobile phone and television transmission
techniques.
--

SJW

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
TonyK wrote:
Now in theory DECT is DECT and they should have an optimum range of 300m
(yeah right!). The cheapest struggles to go 15m between 3 rooms. The
middle one is a bit better, and the Samsung better still. But none of
them will do the 50m between reception and office. When I bought them I
tried numerous models and these we're the best at the time but that was
2 years back.

Think you're unlucky, or have unusual local circumstances. I've got two -
with one base station at the top of the three story Victorian pile, and
one on the ground floor. Both cover the entire house and garden fine. Even
the old analogue cordless in the workshop does too.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mike

"TonyK" wrote in message
[...]

Alcatel Spain make high power ones for the South American market where DECT
is used instead of wires to connect to all the houses in small villages.
They even do special base stations. Not legal here and not sure where you
would buy one anyway.

Lurch

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 20:31:12 -0000, "Mike" strung
together this:

Alcatel Spain make high power ones for the South American market where DECT
is used instead of wires to connect to all the houses in small villages.
They even do special base stations.

Sounds like good advice so far.

Not legal here

Ah, perhaps it's not very good advice at all then.

and not sure where you
would buy one anyway.

Er, I'd guess Spain, or somewhere in South America?
--

SJW
Mike

"Lurch" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 20:31:12 -0000, "Mike" strung
together this:

Alcatel Spain make high power ones for the South American market where

DECT
is used instead of wires to connect to all the houses in small villages.
They even do special base stations.

Sounds like good advice so far.

Not legal here

Ah, perhaps it's not very good advice at all then.

Well we all break the law now and then, especially ones like Part P.
These units have variable power so I don't think using them would cause a
problem noticed by others.

and not sure where you would buy one anyway.

Er, I'd guess Spain, or somewhere in South America?

Probably :-)

Lurch

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 21:47:15 -0000, "Mike" strung
together this:

Well we all break the law now and then, especially ones like Part P.
These units have variable power so I don't think using them would cause a
problem noticed by others.

I thought that, I'd probably go with the repeaters myself. The
advantage of the repeaters is that they will also give you a constant
signal over a wide area as opposed to a huge signal at the base and a
not quite so huge signal proportionate to how far away you are.
--

SJW

The Natural Philosopher

TonyK wrote:

TonyK wrote:

[...]

Why? Can't you walk 5 feet to a phone?

DECT phone funny Rod Hewitt UK diy 29 March 10th 05 01:24 PM
Portable DECT phone with 'headset' option? T i m UK diy 18 February 8th 05 02:30 PM
BT Synergy 700 DECT answerphone Steven Briggs UK diy 4 September 12th 04 02:15 PM
Binatone MD 750 Twin (Micro Dect) Andy Mabbett UK diy 11 August 20th 04 04:18 PM
Chasing computer wiring (Cat-5) into plaster over brick wall Zymurgy UK diy 69 August 26th 03 05:05 PM