Rod Hewitt

Default DECT phone funny

The various mentions of DECT in the last day or so reminded me that I am
supposed to be solving a problem.

We have two separate DECT base stations, each with its own handset and
each plugged into totally separate phone lines. Perhaps oddly, both
handsets are set up to connect to the same base station - let us call that
the primary base station. (We can use a menu to choose the other,
secondary, base station.) Anywhere between zero and, perhaps, four times a
day the handset on the secondary base station makes a noise that says that
it has lost contact with the primary base station that it should be using.
Changing the handsets round makes no difference.

It seems that something is interrupting the ability of the 'remote' handset
to communicate with the primary base station. On the display we can see
that the handset loses its signal for a few seconds.

Having a fair amount of electronic kit (computers, wireless network, etc.)
we understand if we are to blame for this problem - but it would be really
nice to identify what is causing it.

The times at which the problem occurs vary widely - including the early
hours when we are asleep and not in person using anything. And it is this
that is most annoying as it sometimes wakes us up.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
mrcheerful

"Rod Hewitt" wrote in message
[...]

might be passing emergency vehicles, their transmissions can swamp
everything, my old answer phone sometimes was set off and recorded their
calls!!

mrcheerful

Mary Fisher

"mrcheerful ." wrote in message
k...

might be passing emergency vehicles, their transmissions can swamp
everything, my old answer phone sometimes was set off and recorded their
calls!!

I was once tape recording a 33 rpm record to use at a funeral.

Good job I tested it - the taped version had a mini-cab message on it ...

Mary

mrcheerful

Nodge

"Rod Hewitt" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know the answer I'm afraid but I have the same problem. I have 2
phone lines each with a base station and remote handset. The 2 remotes are
not linked to the same base station as in your case though. Either way, I
don't think that having 2 base stations is the problem. I can go for weeks
with no problem and then I'll get an evening when the remote furthest from
the base station will lose contact maybe every half hour or so. At least
that is what I assume is happening. It gives a double beep and flashes "Base
1" on it's display. Then about 5 seconds later it gives a deedle deedle
sound as it reconnects. I'd probably had the phones about 6 months before
this happened for the first time and I assumed there was a fault with one of
the phones but perhaps there are other factors involved. The phones are
always kept on their stations so it's not a low battery problem. The base
station is in my garage at the bottom of the garden about 10 m from the
remote station so maybe its affected by the weather or atmospheric
conditions although I've not noticed any pattern when the problem occurs.
There have been one or two occasions when both remotes have lost contact
with their respective base stations at the same time. Could this indicate a
problem with the mains supply I wonder?

John

Rod Hewitt

"Nodge" wrote in
:

[...]

Thank goodness for that! I was beginning to think that I was going nuts. We
had just one for years and eventually bought the second. Both Ericssons. It
was quite some time after that we started to get this problem.

Agreed - they live on the base stations so definitely not a dead battery.

On the very odd occasion that the main electricity goes, both of them do
the same 'we are disconnected' and that is trivial to understand. But even
disconnecting the secondary base station from the mains does not cause this
problem.

Our base stations are no more than five metres apart (downstairs hall,
upstairs bedroom).

mrcheerful's suggestion could have something - but we are not aware of any
nearby emrgency vehicles at the times of the problems. In fact, we are
aware that with police and ambulance virtually outside it doesn't happen.

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk

Nodge

"Rod Hewitt" wrote in message

[...]

Rod,

Mine lost contact twice this afternoon for no apparent reason. I may try
just swopping the base stations over to see if it still happens.
Mine are both BT phones by the way.

John

Rod Hewitt

"Nodge" wrote in
:

Mine lost contact twice this afternoon for no apparent reason. I may
try just swopping the base stations over to see if it still happens.
Mine are both BT phones by the way.

Hmm, funny, ours did at least twice (so far) this evening - after doing so
a few times last night. Definitely more than normal. Perhaps the damp,
misty atmosphere is having some effect?

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
Holly, in France

Rod Hewitt wrote in message

[...]

No ideas or suggestions at all I'm afraid, just posting to say that we
are in exactly the same boat withour DECT phones. Well, not quite since
only our base station is connected to the phone line, but the way you
have yours set up I think yours is working in the same way as ours, in
that it is not using the second phone line anyway. We don't have
wireless networks (well, I do have one but I cant get it to work and it
isn't installed atm, but that's another story!) or anything else that is
likely to interfere with the phone. It behaves exactly as you describe.
The second phone is in a upstairs bedroom in the diagonally opposite
corner of the house to the first, with two thick stone walls between the
base and the handset. Initially I thought it might not work at all in
that location, but it does, about 99% of the time. Yesterday it even
worked perfectly beyond another partition when I was in the bath!
But.....sometimes it loses the signal for no apparent reason, and bleeps
as it comes on and off line, just as you say. It always regains the
signal in the other corner of the bedroom which is nearer and has a
clearer path to the base station. I think it seems to happen more in
cold weather, have you found that? It also bleeps on and off when we
have a power cut, which is quite useful sometimes, but not after a dozen
or so power cuts during the same night! Sorry, not much help, perhaps
someone else understands what is going on?

--

Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,

doozer

Holly, in France wrote:

Rod Hewitt wrote in message

[...]

I would guess that the device is using the public band which is
unlicensed and therefore pretty crowded. All wireless network kit uses
it as well as house bound walk around mobile phones (if you see what I
mean) and anything else that needs to transmit over short distances.

The reason that portion of the spectrum is public is not because the
powers that be wanted to leave us some free but because it's a pretty
useless bit of bandwidth for long range transmission. It is the same
area that water absorbs in therefore the attenuation is very high. In
winter the relative humidity is higher therefore your phone might have
more trouble getting a signal through.

As for the original problem with loosing signal it could be any number
of devices causing the problem. The biggest offender is normally a
microwave oven but some devices (wireless hubs in particular) will scan
the available bandwidth to select the quietest frequency and interrupt
other devices in the process.
doozer

I would guess that the device is using the public band which is
unlicensed and therefore pretty crowded. All wireless network kit uses
it as well as house bound walk around mobile phones (if you see what I
mean) and anything else that needs to transmit over short distances.

Thanks. Don't think this is the problem in our case, since the nearest
neighbours are well outside the range of the phone. We do have a
wireless weather station gadget, would that use the same system?

Yes it would probably use the same bit of the spectrum. It costs quite a
bit to rent / buy a frequency - way more than a company producing most
any consumer kit could afford. I believe it should say somewhere on it
(or in the accompanying documentation) what frequency it uses. As you
suggest though it probably isn't that. These sorts of problems are
notoriously difficult to figure out even when the interference is there
almost all the time.

I don't know about wireless phones but mobile phones and I believe
wireless lans will lower the transmission power to the minimum necessary
to provide service. Perhaps the level is dropping low enough at times
that a moments interference is enough for it to lose the base station.

Having
said that, the phone was the same before I bought the weather station
and the problem hasn't got any worse.

The reason that portion of the spectrum is public is not because the
powers that be wanted to leave us some free but because it's a pretty
useless bit of bandwidth for long range transmission. It is the same
area that water absorbs in therefore the attenuation is very high. In
winter the relative humidity is higher therefore your phone might have
more trouble getting a signal through.

Yes, that is a possibility. Although on the whole when it is very cold
here (and it seems to me to be the cold which affects it, but I might
have that wrong, haven't made any notes etc) the RH is quite low. I am
measuring the RH inside and out atm because I am drying timber in the
gite and I try to work out what is the best temperature/RH combination
on any given day, whether I should leave the doors open etc. I have no
idea whether it is doing any good as far as drying the wood goes, but
it's quite interesting. Also if the RH was the cause I would have
thought that the phone wouldn't work well in the bath :-)

--
Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,
website: http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr

Holly, in France

doozer wrote in message
Holly, in France wrote:

Rod Hewitt wrote in message

[...]

wireless weather station gadget, would that use the same system? Having
[...]

Mike

"doozer" wrote in message

[...]

DECT has it's own dedicated band Europe-wide and should be clear of all
other interferers.

Rod Hewitt

"Mike" wrote in :

DECT has it's own dedicated band Europe-wide and should be clear of all
other interferers.

That rather stomps on some of the theories!

Still looking. Replaced both batteries recently on an 'in case' basis -
maybe marginally better but really not sure. (Both about 5 years old and
saw the product description suggested changing annually.) We too have a
weather station thingy (el cheapo) - but I can't believe that a single AA
cell would be enough to disrupt the DECT. Also, why at certain times more
often? Typically late evening after a whole day (and sometimes the
preceding night) without a hitch?

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
Mike

"Rod Hewitt" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote in :

DECT has it's own dedicated band Europe-wide and should be clear of all
other interferers.

That rather stomps on some of the theories!

One it doesn't is somebody is using a high power DECT link (only supposed to
be used in South America) as a private data link. Are you near any
companies, possibly ones with two buildings on opposite sides of the road ?

Capitol

Mike wrote:
DECT has it's own dedicated band Europe-wide and should be clear of all
other interferers.

That's a bit like believing that car drivers don't use mobile phones!
As has been said, microwaves are very bad for 2.4 GHz Dect frequencies,
also, zenon headlamps and some car ignition( electronic?) systems on
modern cars. Slab sided vehicles seem able to produce out of phase
reflections which can lower signal levels also. I suspect that HF
switching interference(arcing) can also transmit from power lines and
temporarily knock out the AGC. I find that any brush motor device has a
chance of causing enough interference to knock out a 2.4GHz link, even
though it is nominally suppressed. Possibly because when tested, the
required standard did not go much beyond 1GHz.

Range etc can sometimes be helped by adding passive yagi array
reflectors/radiators in gaps between rooms or the receive aerial
performance can be improved.

Regards
Capitol

Mike

"Capitol" wrote in message

Mike wrote:
DECT has it's own dedicated band Europe-wide and should be clear of all
other interferers.

That's a bit like believing that car drivers don't use mobile phones!
As has been said, microwaves are very bad for 2.4 GHz Dect frequencies,

DECT is at around 1900 MHz so shouldn't be affected by a microwave which is
at 2.4 GHz together with most wireless LANs.

also, zenon headlamps and some car ignition( electronic?) systems on
modern

More likely though these are supposed to be tested to 2GHz now. Older (or
US) systems may not comply though.

tony sayer

In article , Capitol capitol@spamfre
e.freeserve.co.uk writes

Mike wrote:
[...]

Are you certain that your phone/s use the 2.4 Ghz band AFAIR these were
around 1.9 ish Ghz?.....
--
Tony Sayer

Mike

"Holly, in France" wrote in message
Rod Hewitt wrote:
"Mike" wrote in
:

Also, why
at certain times more often? Typically late evening after a whole day
(and sometimes the preceding night) without a hitch?

Is this when it's cooling down ? Or perhaps heating up when the heating
comes on ?

Holly, in France

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Capitol
capitol@spamfre e.freeserve.co.uk writes

Range etc can sometimes be helped by adding passive yagi array
reflectors/radiators in gaps between rooms or the receive aerial
performance can be improved.

Are you certain that your phone/s use the 2.4 Ghz band AFAIR these
were around 1.9 ish Ghz?.....

Specs of mine are as follows. I'm copying anything relevant looking,
translating from French as nec, don't know what it all means....

GAP (Generic Access Profile)
Frequencies 1880 - 1900 MHz
120 channels duplex
Modulation GFSK
32kbit/s
Power of (signal?) emission 10mW average by channel
range 300m open 50m in building
rest of it not relevant.

Ours has the problem when I am certain that none of the suggested
sources of possible interference are present. Only fridge and freezer
are on all the time, other stuff is left plugged in and on standby. No
mobile phone signals here atm, we are in a valley, hoping for
improvement later in the year when new mast is due. Whatever causes the
phone problem, I think it must be either a variable component/fault in
the phone or something to do with the weather conditions?? Either that
or something secret and military that we don't know about, but I'm not
that paranoid :-) My mum is good in cases like this, she can diagnose
the problem immediately "it's just one of those things". I think she
might be right! It isn't much of a problem here, but since it was
mentioned I thought it worth looking into it. Any more thoughts anyone?

--
Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,
website: http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr

Holly, in France

Rod Hewitt wrote:
"Mike" wrote in
:

Also, why
at certain times more often? Typically late evening after a whole day
(and sometimes the preceding night) without a hitch?

Perhaps if we make an effort to see when it happens, possible sources of
interference, weather conditions etc, we (or someone) might be able to
work out what is going on. Or not :-)

--
Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,
website: http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr

tony sayer

In article , Holly, in France
writes
tony sayer wrote:
[...]

It appears that you have a normal DECT phone. I very much doubt that
weather has anything to do with it at all. Might be something duff or
intermittent in the phone otherwise one of those things!.

I haven't been following this thread that close. I presume you have
tried another phone and or moved it elsewhere to see if the problem
persists?...
--
Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,
website: http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr

--
Tony Sayer

Rod Hewitt

"Mike" wrote in
:

One it doesn't is somebody is using a high power DECT link (only
supposed to be used in South America) as a private data link. Are you
near any companies, possibly ones with two buildings on opposite sides
of the road ?

No companies nearby - but there is a local TV relay transmitter! If the
problem occurred more frequently I would certainly suspect that. More
likely, in my opinion, is a taxi company. But there has never been any
noticeable (to us) connection between events in the general area and the
problem.

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
Rod Hewitt

"Mike" wrote in :

Is this when it's cooling down ? Or perhaps heating up when the heating
comes on ?

We have never really noticed any association with external temperature or
humidity.

Definitely not related to the CH starting. That would be an unusual time
for it to occur.

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
tony sayer

In article , Rod Hewitt
writes
"Mike" wrote in
:

One it doesn't is somebody is using a high power DECT link (only
supposed to be used in South America) as a private data link. Are you
near any companies, possibly ones with two buildings on opposite sides
of the road ?

No companies nearby - but there is a local TV relay transmitter! If the
problem occurred more frequently I would certainly suspect that. More
likely, in my opinion, is a taxi company. But there has never been any
noticeable (to us) connection between events in the general area and the
problem.

Well it "is" possible that a taxi company might have a transmitter on
the same site that carries the TV relay. Can you name the site or give a
grid ref. Could find out if U really want to know....
--
Tony Sayer

Rod Hewitt

tony sayer wrote in :

Well it "is" possible that a taxi company might have a transmitter on
the same site that carries the TV relay. Can you name the site or give a
grid ref. Could find out if U really want to know....

I think that it's this one - High Wycombe 500W SU856942. It is so close
that we get awful TV reception. :-)

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk

Capitol

tony sayer wrote:

Are you certain that your phone/s use the 2.4 Ghz band AFAIR these were
around 1.9 ish Ghz?.....

Yes, I'm wrong on the European Dect phone frequency. Some industrial
ovens work around 900MHz AIUI. However, just to throw in another point,
I have an IR controlled TV, which turns itself off at random!! It is the
only TV which behaves in this way. This also coincides with the RF
controlled power switches in the same room also turning off! My
conclusion is that either there is a burst of very high power RF which
is being rectified and operating as a control signal, or significant
mains interference is present. Scoping the mains, shows =/- 1500V
transients (generally 100nS) present on a random basis, all over the
house. Strange.

Regards
Capitol
Mike

"Capitol" wrote in message
I have an IR controlled TV, which turns itself off at random!! It is the
only TV which behaves in this way. This also coincides with the RF
controlled power switches in the same room also turning off! My
conclusion is that either there is a burst of very high power RF which
is being rectified and operating as a control signal, or significant
mains interference is present. Scoping the mains, shows =/- 1500V
transients (generally 100nS) present on a random basis, all over the
house. Strange.

B****y hell. Assuming it is coming in through the supply to the house, I'd
get that investigated by your electricity supplier. Something is switching
large loads either from or next to your supply. I believe there are filters
they can put in, sort of mega-baluns, or in the worst case a private 100A
1:1 transformer.

Andy Wade

Mike wrote:

B****y hell. Assuming it is coming in through the supply to the house, I'd
get that investigated by your electricity supplier. Something is switching
large loads either from or next to your supply.

Fast transients on the mains of up to 2kV or so as described are
perfectly normal.

I believe there are filters they can put in, sort of mega-baluns, or in the worst case a private 100A
1:1 transformer.

Equipment on the market these days should have adequate immunity - BS EN
IEC 61000-4-4 refers.

--
Andy
Holly, in France

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Holly, in France
writes
tony sayer wrote:
[...]

Have two phones, have swapped them over, no difference. I think it is a
variation in signal quality rather than the handsets, since sometimes
they need to be nearer to the base station than at other times in order
to work.

--
Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,
website: http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr

Holly, in France

Mike wrote:
"Holly, in France" wrote in message
Rod Hewitt wrote:
"Mike" wrote in
:

Also, why
at certain times more often? Typically late evening after a whole
day (and sometimes the preceding night) without a hitch?

Is this when it's cooling down ? Or perhaps heating up when the
heating comes on ?

In our case no, we have a gravity run CH system from a woodburner. Temp
rises and falls slowly depending on how enthusiastic I am about stoking
the fire :-)