Mike

"Capitol" wrote in message
I have an IR controlled TV, which turns itself off at random!! It is the
only TV which behaves in this way. This also coincides with the RF
controlled power switches in the same room also turning off! My
conclusion is that either there is a burst of very high power RF which
is being rectified and operating as a control signal, or significant
mains interference is present. Scoping the mains, shows =/- 1500V
transients (generally 100nS) present on a random basis, all over the
house. Strange.

B****y hell. Assuming it is coming in through the supply to the house, I'd
get that investigated by your electricity supplier. Something is switching
large loads either from or next to your supply. I believe there are filters
they can put in, sort of mega-baluns, or in the worst case a private 100A
1:1 transformer.