Ian

Default A lath and plaster ceiling maybe?!

We have a water damaged living room ceiling. The two builders we had
round for quotes tell us that it is a lath and plaster ceiling.
However, today the claims assessor tells us that it is plasterboard.

And here is my quandary: - is there any straightforward way of telling
how the ceiling is constructed? (I couldn't find anything in Google).

Thanks in advance

Ian
brugnospamsia

"Ian" wrote in message
om...
We have a water damaged living room ceiling. The two builders we had
round for quotes tell us that it is a lath and plaster ceiling.
However, today the claims assessor tells us that it is plasterboard.

And here is my quandary: - is there any straightforward way of telling
how the ceiling is constructed? (I couldn't find anything in Google).

Only real way would be to lift a floorboard upstairs.
Failing that, poke at the damaged bit with a broom handle. If it's lath and
plaster half a tonne of crud'll fall down..

Badly finished plasterboard ceilings sometimes have visible lines where the
boards meet.

John Rumm

Ian wrote:

We have a water damaged living room ceiling. The two builders we had
round for quotes tell us that it is a lath and plaster ceiling.
However, today the claims assessor tells us that it is plasterboard.

And here is my quandary: - is there any straightforward way of telling
how the ceiling is constructed? (I couldn't find anything in Google).

Lift a floorboard in the room above and have a look.

--
Cheers,

John.

You should be able to tell at a glance - lath & plaster is old and can
look a bit uneven and may have wandering cracks, plaster board looks
flat and any cracks or visible uneveness will be along the board edges
in straight lines. If you shine a torch holding it up to the ceiling
and pointing across the surface it may show up the difference.
But if perfect you might not be able to tell so poke a hole where the
damage is and see if you can find any laths i.e. thin bits of wood, or
edge of plaster board with paper or card on both faces. (+ plaster skim
on the face side)

chees

Jacob

DavidD

wrote in message
oups.com...
You should be able to tell at a glance - lath & plaster is old and can
look a bit uneven and may have wandering cracks, plaster board looks
flat and any cracks or visible uneveness will be along the board edges
in straight lines. If you shine a torch holding it up to the ceiling
and pointing across the surface it may show up the difference.
But if perfect you might not be able to tell so poke a hole where the
damage is and see if you can find any laths i.e. thin bits of wood, or
edge of plaster board with paper or card on both faces. (+ plaster skim
on the face side)

chees

Is there a light fitting you could unscrew? You might be able to tell from
that.

Pecanfan

And here is my quandary: - is there any straightforward way of telling
how the ceiling is constructed? (I couldn't find anything in Google).

Ideally lift a floorboard upstairs and look though - you'll see the laths.
OR remove a light fitting - normally the holes where the cables come through
are big enough to see how the ceiling is constructed. Alternatively, if you
gently drive a 2" nail into the ceiling in a few different places you'll
soon know when you've hit a lath - it'll feel springy and the nail almost
certainly won't go through it (unless you happen to be right next to a
joist). Don't drive the nail any further than 1/2" or so, to avoid pipes
etc. above.

Andy

Tim

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 04:36:02 -0800, Ian wrote:

We have a water damaged living room ceiling. The two builders we had
round for quotes tell us that it is a lath and plaster ceiling.
However, today the claims assessor tells us that it is plasterboard.

And here is my quandary: - is there any straightforward way of telling
how the ceiling is constructed? (I couldn't find anything in Google).

Thanks in advance

Ian

Hi

Lift a floorboard above if you can - it's very clear from the upper side
if it's lath+plaster (you'll be able to see laths and curly bits of
plaster).

If that's not possible, probing the ceiling with a small drill shoudl
reveal the truth. Laths have only a small gap between them, so a couple
tiny holes 3/4 inch apart and see if wood dust comes out once you are
1/2-3/4 inch in. Better run a cable detector over the area first though!

If you say it's water damaged, couldn't you dig a bit of plaster out?

Plasterboard is cardboard-coated so you should spot this after going
through the skim plaster.

If it is plasterboard with no skim coat, look at it from an
angle and you might be able to see the long straight joins around the edge
of the boards.

If you have some known ceilings to compare with you might be able to
discern by the sound it makes when tapped - never tried this on ceilings,
except to find loose plaster...

HTH

Timbo
Tim

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:43:24 +0000, brugnospamsia wrote:

Badly finished plasterboard ceilings sometimes have visible lines where the
boards meet.

That'll be every single such ceiling I've ever seen then :-/

Modern house-building for you...

Timbo
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Ian wrote:
And here is my quandary: - is there any straightforward way of telling
how the ceiling is constructed? (I couldn't find anything in Google).

If there's a dry bit left, tap it with your knuckle. Plasterboard will
'ring' - rather like tapping a sheet of wood - a sort of hollow sound.
Lath and plaster will not.

--
*We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Christian McArdle

Only real way would be to lift a floorboard upstairs.

Remember that many, many original lath ceilings will have been augmented by
plasterboard underneath, as it is an acceptable and time (and mess) saving
alternative to replacement.

However, if it has been badly damaged, it will probably be as expensive to
fix as though it was pure lath and plaster anyway. It is extremely messy to
remove.

Christian.

Cicero

"Ian" wrote in message
om...
We have a water damaged living room ceiling. The two builders we had
round for quotes tell us that it is a lath and plaster ceiling.
However, today the claims assessor tells us that it is plasterboard.

And here is my quandary: - is there any straightforward way of telling
how the ceiling is constructed? (I couldn't find anything in Google).

Thanks in advance

Ian

==================
You could use a magnet to detect nails which will be much closer together
(about 1" apart) for lath / plaster than for plasterboard. Of course you'll
have to find a joist but that shouldn't be difficult.

Cic.

chris French

In message , Christian
McArdle writes
Only real way would be to lift a floorboard upstairs.

Remember that many, many original lath ceilings will have been augmented by
plasterboard underneath, as it is an acceptable and time (and mess) saving
alternative to replacement.

yep, that's exactly what someone would find in this house.

poking around from underneath is the way to go here.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Christian McArdle

Remember that many, many original lath ceilings will have been augmented
by
plasterboard underneath, as it is an acceptable and time (and mess)

saving
alternative to replacement.

yep, that's exactly what someone would find in this house.

It could also explain why some think it is plasterboard and some lath.
They're both right!

Christian.