Colin

Default Lath & Plaster ceiling repair help please

Hi,

Just removed an internal wall and am now looking to repair the ceiling.

The ceilings that I hope to join up are in good condition. They are lath and
plaster and about 2" thick!

I was thinking of trimming to the nearest joists and securing plasterboard
to the joists. Perhaps two thicknesses? And then plastering.

The thing I am worried about are cracks appearing along the join of the
plasterboard and the existing ceiling. Due to the thickness taping is not
possible(?)

Any suggestions?

TIA Colin

John Rouse

In article , Colin
writes
Hi,

Just removed an internal wall and am now looking to repair the ceiling.

The ceilings that I hope to join up are in good condition. They are lath and
plaster and about 2" thick!

I was thinking of trimming to the nearest joists and securing plasterboard
to the joists. Perhaps two thicknesses? And then plastering.

The thing I am worried about are cracks appearing along the join of the
plasterboard and the existing ceiling. Due to the thickness taping is not
possible(?)

Any suggestions?

Why not do the job properly with lime plaster? Its a much more suitable
material for d-i-y use as it stays workable for anything up to 24 hours
and you can pick the bits up off the floor (as long as its clean) and
still use them - try doing that with gypsum plaster!

John
--
John Rouse
BigWallop

"Colin" wrote in message
Hi,

Just removed an internal wall and am now looking to repair the ceiling.

The ceilings that I hope to join up are in good condition. They are lath

and
plaster and about 2" thick!

I was thinking of trimming to the nearest joists and securing plasterboard
to the joists. Perhaps two thicknesses? And then plastering.

The thing I am worried about are cracks appearing along the join of the
plasterboard and the existing ceiling. Due to the thickness taping is not
possible(?)

Any suggestions?

TIA Colin

If you keep the edges of the plaster damp they shouldn't crack back. Also,
if you overlap the new plaster on to the old plaster for a couple of inches
and polish it over with a wet brush and a plaster float the cracks shouldn't
appear at all.

Colin

If you keep the edges of the plaster damp they shouldn't crack back.

Thanks I'll try that.

I was really thinking of cracks appearing after it has dried and the
children start jumping around in the bedroom above.
I may be just paranoid, but I was wondering if there was a technique to
ensure that the join between the old and the new plaster didn't crack with
time...

Colin

The Natural Philosopher

Colin wrote:

If you keep the edges of the plaster damp they shouldn't crack back.

Thanks I'll try that.

I was really thinking of cracks appearing after it has dried and the
children start jumping around in the bedroom above.
I may be just paranoid, but I was wondering if there was a technique to
ensure that the join between the old and the new plaster didn't crack with
time...

I'd say if you awant a 'period'look then use new lathe and lime mortar.

If you want it smooth, do as you describe. lay a layer of lining paper
or indeed scrim over the over the finished joint, and skim.

Any cracks you do get can ultimatley be scraped out to a v notch, and
filled with decorators caulk and re-painted.

Colin

Painting of ceiling... Marcus Fox UK diy 2 November 7th 03 07:15 PM
Installing LV halogen lights into lath and plaster ceiling? Mike Tomlinson UK diy 8 October 20th 03 03:44 PM
Lath and plaster ceiling Peter UK diy 11 October 16th 03 04:27 PM
plaster board ceiling? Tim Morley UK diy 1 August 11th 03 05:01 PM