Default what to use to level floor by 10-15mm

I am trying to level our utility room floor. It is partially tiled the
rest being concrete. The largest variation in depth is approx 15mm. What
should I use to level this prior to tiling? Self-levelling compound says
no more than 3mm. Whatever is suggested can I use it over the tiles as
well as concrete to so using existing tiles to fill in some of the
depth?

TIA

Martin

!^NavFont02F012F0006NGHHHwFDD6

Scott Mills

wrote in message
I am trying to level our utility room floor. It is partially tiled the
rest being concrete. The largest variation in depth is approx 15mm.

you serious?

What should I use to level this prior to tiling?

To be honest, I think you'd be better off with a bolster hammer, chisel and
safety specs.

failing that, why not tile where you want to raise it, then... tile over the
lot again...

Self-levelling compound says
no more than 3mm. Whatever is suggested can I use it over the tiles as
well as concrete to so using existing tiles to fill in some of the
depth?

TIA

Martin

!^NavFont02F012F0006NGHHHwFDD6

BigWallop

wrote in message ...
I am trying to level our utility room floor. It is partially tiled the
rest being concrete. The largest variation in depth is approx 15mm. What
should I use to level this prior to tiling? Self-levelling compound says
no more than 3mm. Whatever is suggested can I use it over the tiles as
well as concrete to so using existing tiles to fill in some of the
depth?

TIA

Martin

You could use the tile adhesive itself to level the floor by the amount you say. If
you're tiling on to the concrete section the adhesive itself is the ideal choice.

Err, was a quick look while in Wickes, maybe it is not less than 3mm.

!^NavFont02F00370007NGHHG384CC4

Thanks, I didnt realise that it could be used that thick, sounds better
than mortar that someone suggested to me.

!^NavFont02F005E0007NGHHG5F740A

Yes I am serious, looked like hard work smashing up the concrete, tiles
on tiles ok but maybe expensive, not as flexible as thick tile adhesive?

!^NavFont02F00770007NGHHG7885AD

In article , N.
Thornton writes
wrote in message
I am trying to level our utility room floor. It is partially tiled the
rest being concrete. The largest variation in depth is approx 15mm. What
should I use to level this prior to tiling? Self-levelling compound says
no more than 3mm. Whatever is suggested can I use it over the tiles as
well as concrete to so using existing tiles to fill in some of the
depth?

If it were my place I would want to do it properly, not with tile
adhesive that may disintegrate after x years. Parallel strips of wood
fixed to the floor, get them all nice and level. Fill with good mortar
mix, levelling it to the battens. When dry remove battening and fill
that too. But... there are many options.

Regards, NT

Personally I wouldn't put a sand cement mortar down that thin...

What you can do is use the self levelling material and bulk it out with
sand and use that to bring the floor up to 3-5mm of the finished level
and then use the neat compound to finish off
--
David

what mixture would you use? 4 parts soft sand to 1 part cement ?

!^NavFont02F00330006NGHHG{58EE

In article , N.
Thornton writes

If it were my place I would want to do it properly, not with tile
adhesive that may disintegrate after x years. Parallel strips of wood
fixed to the floor, get them all nice and level. Fill with good mortar
mix, levelling it to the battens. When dry remove battening and fill
that too. But... there are many options.

Regards, NT

Personally I wouldn't put a sand cement mortar down that thin...

What you can do is use the self levelling material and bulk it out with
sand and use that to bring the floor up to 3-5mm of the finished level
and then use the neat compound to finish off

2:1 should be ok that thin, or even 1:1.5. One can also add fibres for
crack control. I've used plenty of 1:1.5 here. Your suggestion does
sound more purpose made though, so maybe would last better.

My recommendation is what we do for industrial floors so may be a bit
OTT for a utility room as you don't get many forklift trucks in utility
rooms :-)
--
David

sorry 2:1 what exactly? sand:cement or sand:leveling compound?

Martin

!^NavFont02F003D0007NGHHG3E62D1